Show us your CAAD12 frameset (non disc) builds

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

mythical

by mythical

Here's my 54cm CAAD12, with dented TT and everything (that happened before i finished building it up). I religiously am against cleaning my bike, and since discovered another person who has the same policy and who goes by the name of Tom Ritchey.
Once, it had an Ultegra FD, but that one broke so I replaced the front chainrings with a 1X 48T from Garbaruk. Never looked back since.
The black eebrakes I bought for it were sold on without ever mounting them.
Rico CAAD12.jpeg
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

mythical wrote:Here's my 54cm CAAD12, with dented TT and everything (that happened before i finished building it up). I religiously am against cleaning my bike, and since discovered another person who has the same policy and who goes by the name of Tom Ritchey.
Once, it had an Ultegra FD, but that one broke so I replaced the front chainrings with a 1X 48T from Garbaruk. Never looked back since.
The black eebrakes I bought for it were sold on without ever mounting them.
Rico CAAD12.jpeg
You’re taking a serious risk riding that with a dented top tube. If you hit a serious pot hole of bump in the road that frame will fold quickly. I saw it happen on a Caad9 with a far smaller dent.
It wasn’t like carbon either that tends to splinter like bamboo and give some warning and even hold together at times.
Dent in the same place as yours, we were in a like on a moderate downhill at 30mph.
In turn we hopped or at least got out of the saddle to go over a speed bump.
My friend on the Caad9 was out of the saddle, as soon as his front wheel hit it was like there was no top tube and his bike folded in. No noise or loud bang, it was nasty.
He was wearing no gloves and the main damage was to his palms, they were shredded, they had to inject his palms and pull all the grit out with tweezers. There was a lot of blood and his hands still have big scars to this day.
Thinking back his bike may have been a Caad8 as it was 2005.
Anyway I’d be seriously careful with a dented top tube.
There are many others with similar tales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dundeeedd

by dundeeedd

About to embark on my first bike build project. I have always wanted a CAAD12 Black Inc. and I got a 2017 frameset for £500 (bargain).

Thinking about slapping on Ultegra Di2 but something inside me is guiding me towards mechanical. I have a cracking set of Novatec Jetfly HD (1485 grams) that are 31mm deep and are super stiff.

I'm looking for some guidance from anyone who has used either powercordz or jagwire for shifting/braking. Was it worth the extra ££££?

Here is the frameset as bought. I will update with pictures and weights in time.
Attachments
black inc.jpeg

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

Hi guys,

I just bought a CAAD12 frame and about to build it up. I was planning on using Grandprix 4000 S2 28mm tires on it. I did a dry fit last night by putting in the wheels. The fork has plenty of clearance, but the rear brake bridge is dangerously close to the tire. There's only about 1mm clearance below the bridge. The rim is 25mm wide external. I heard people run 28mm on CAAD12 frames with no issues. Some can even run 30mm. Is it because my rim width is not 28mm external so the tire profile is taller than usual? Any thoughts? Thanks.

KB
Attachments
IMG_6609.jpg
IMG_6608.jpg
IMG_6606.jpg

NickB

by NickB

The 5000's come up smaller, 4000's are very wide on my Cero AR24's, 5000's not so.

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

What about Ultra Sport 3s 28mm? I like their price point, especially this CAAD12 would be a winter bike. Not sure if they come up so tall as 4000's.

LMCuba

by LMCuba

First bought the new 105 full bike with Mavic Aksiums in 2019. Been wanting Campy stuff since but could never pull the trigger because of a) the subpar riding conditions around me b) 105 does function flawlessly. Moved last month and FINALLY.

Special thanks to everyone who contributed to the glueing tubulars thread! Thanks to you guys, my first glue job went more smoothly than I thought was possible, and I'd never even changed a clincher tyre before. And to the fellas at Helen's Cycles Santa Monica - top notch service for really good prices.

In a moment of overwhelming joy I forgot to ask them to weigh the bike. My estimate is in the 7.5 kg range. It will drop ~150 grams when I put on Darimo seatpost and Selle Italia SLR Boost next month.

Frameset: Cannondale CAAD12 Size 50 rim brake
Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus 12 speed 36/52 165 mm 11/32
Wheels: Campagnolo Bora One 50 Tubulars
Tyres: Veloflex ProTour 25 mm
Bar: Deda Zero100 Shallow 42 cm (40 cm c-c)
Stem: Deda Zero100 110 mm 8 degrees
Bartape: Lizard Skin DSP 2.5 mm
Seatpost: Cannondale Save 25.4 mm
Saddle: Astute Skyline VT Taca 135 mm
Pedals: LOOK Keo 2 Max
Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race Plus
Attachments
20220922_215755106_iOS.jpg
20220922_215801689_iOS.jpg
20220922_215810329_iOS.jpg
20220922_215831772_iOS.jpg