Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Haggarty wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pm
My OG Venge 2014

Trying to keep it up to modern standards with Di2, quarq dzero, aerofly 2, custom 3D headset spacers, DT 1400 arc wheels

IMG_1918.jpeg
This is cool. You may be so kind and post here the 3d print headset spacers file.

I also have to say. that owners of older aero bikes like this venge or aeroad on rim brakes, don't have much reason to upgrade bike to something my2022... These are fast, but still pretty light... The only concern is i think risk of rimbrakes on longer descents, and also tire clearance was pretty narrow. Nowadays i live with 28mm and it's supergood.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

req110 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:45 am
I also have to say. that owners of older aero bikes like this venge or aeroad on rim brakes, don't have much reason to upgrade bike to something my2022... These are fast, but still pretty light... The only concern is i think risk of rimbrakes on longer descents, and also tire clearance was pretty narrow. Nowadays i live with 28mm and it's supergood.
ehhh... I sort of have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, the 1st gen. Venge was definitely a great combination of aero and weight. I loved mine when I had it and it was SOOO fast, but as I've stepped through successive generations of new bikes, each one has gotten better. I went from my 2015 Venge to a 2017 SWorks Tarmac SL5. The Tarmac was a much better climber but obviously not as aero... if I was doing a TT type effort, it defintiely was NOT as fast as the Venge, but it was definitely faster over the course of a long day of riding because it was more compliant. Now, I've moved up to an SWorks SL6 Tarmac disc and I can't beleive how good this bike is. It climbs just as good as the SL5, if not better, and is even more compliant on bumpy stuff. The most surprising part has been the aerodynamics of the SL6... it holds speed even better than the Venge did. I've been setting PR's and getting KOM's on TT style segments and descents that I've done hundreds of times on all of my bikes.

The 1st gen Venge is great, but bike tech has definitely progressed.

req110

by req110

Thanks for bringing the experience here. It's been a while and I always forget how my previous bike rides after few weeks.

Sounds like bikes got much more compliant. Especially to absorb road buzz.

Are you also certain that it was with same wheelset and tires? That makes huge difference.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

req110 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:13 pm
Thanks for bringing the experience here. It's been a while and I always forget how my previous bike rides after few weeks.

Sounds like bikes got much more compliant. Especially to absorb road buzz.

Are you also certain that it was with same wheelset and tires? That makes huge difference.
For the Venge and Tarmac SL5 same wheels 60mm Yoeleos and basically same tires. I'm almost always running SWorks Turbo Cottons or Vittoria Corsas. On the SL6, I'm running 50mm DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut with Conti GP5000's, which arguably, should be a slower wheel and tire combo.

AZR3

by AZR3

Does anyone know if the geo chart for the first gen Venge includes the bearing topcover? Im assuming it does but just wanted to double check