Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

loudtiger

by loudtiger

Sick. Rarely see these with Campy.

yahoover

by yahoover

I've really enjoyed scrolling through all 17 pages and seeing everyone's builds, amazing bikes! Also thrilled that the thread is still active.

I have decided to join the allez club, but am deciding between a 2013 Allez DSW and 2017 Allez Sprint. They seem to be very similar although the Sprint is more aero with geometry and stiffer with tubing. Any preferences, opinions, comments are welcome, just need some advice to move forward

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

They are pretty similar, but there are some disctinct differences as well. I'd say that overall, the Sprint is probably the better frame... it is an evolution of the earlier model, so you kind of expect that. The bottom bracket area is the biggest improvemant area and it really nicely done and very stiff. In terms of geometries, there are also some differences that might make one a better choice than the other. The 2013 DSW frame is a more classic road geometry and is essentially the same as the Tarmac (at least it was the same as that generation of Tarmac, I haven't compared it directly to the current Tarmac). The Sprint frame is very aggressive with a low stack height. It was originally designed as a crit bike, so the geometry lends itself towards shorter, more agressive races or rides... that doesn't mean it can't be ridden for long distances, it certainly can and there are plenty of examples of people riding them for very long, but generally speaking its probably not as "comfortable" from a geometry standpoint. The disc brake sprint frame seems to have been releaxed a little and is closer to the 2013 DSW geometry. Also, it seems that 2013 DSW frame can be built up to an overall lighter package. My 2015 is just over 15 pounds with pretty average high end parts, nothing that is super weight weenie. My buddy has a Sprint, built up with Ultegra 8000 and Zipp 404's and I think its in the upper 15 pound range.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

7.31 Kg where else to shed weight besides wheels ?! Also installed my 53/39 Qrings last night

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm
7.31 Kg where else to shed weight besides wheels ?! Also installed my 53/39 Qrings last night
RD, cables, cable housing, brakes, shifters, seatpost (is Darimo available yet?), saddle, pedals, stem, stem spacers, headset, expander plug, top cap, computer mount.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I would agree.. that bike looks well done, but there is still plenty of places to shave weight if that is your sole purpose.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I would agree.. that bike looks well done, but there is still plenty of places to shave weight if that is your sole purpose.
I mean not really my sole purpose functionality as well. I believe the sworks power is a pretty light saddle for what it is. As far as seatpost can’t change that. I have what I thought was light spacers. As far as stem cap/expanded plug have any websites or ones that would be good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yahoover

by yahoover

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 pm
They are pretty similar, but there are some disctinct differences as well. I'd say that overall, the Sprint is probably the better frame... it is an evolution of the earlier model, so you kind of expect that. The bottom bracket area is the biggest improvemant area and it really nicely done and very stiff. In terms of geometries, there are also some differences that might make one a better choice than the other. The 2013 DSW frame is a more classic road geometry and is essentially the same as the Tarmac (at least it was the same as that generation of Tarmac, I haven't compared it directly to the current Tarmac). The Sprint frame is very aggressive with a low stack height. It was originally designed as a crit bike, so the geometry lends itself towards shorter, more agressive races or rides... that doesn't mean it can't be ridden for long distances, it certainly can and there are plenty of examples of people riding them for very long, but generally speaking its probably not as "comfortable" from a geometry standpoint. The disc brake sprint frame seems to have been releaxed a little and is closer to the 2013 DSW geometry. Also, it seems that 2013 DSW frame can be built up to an overall lighter package. My 2015 is just over 15 pounds with pretty average high end parts, nothing that is super weight weenie. My buddy has a Sprint, built up with Ultegra 8000 and Zipp 404's and I think its in the upper 15 pound range.
Thanks for the insight. Your images of your bare aluminum Allez are the main reason I am even considering the original allez dsw. Its a beautiful classic looking bike! But I agree, from what I have read, the Sprint is an evolutionized version with a more aggressive Geo. I think that Carbon Fiber has developed to a point that performance and price are met in a happy middle ground, so those that would have bought the allez dsw in 2013 simply buy a tarmac today. The sprint is definitely a bold statement to the world of road bikes and racing. I love it.

Another question. The sprint that I am considering to buy does not include a wheelset but Ive heard the only way to go for this bike is deep carbon. Should I be looking for a quality alloy training wheelset (HED belgium/DTswiss) in addition to a deep carbon race wheelset.... or just only deep carbon on both wheelsets?

yahoover

by yahoover

Beautiful Build! How do you like the Reynolds AR wheels? They had made it on my shopping list because of their price and Reynolds warranty.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

yahoover wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Beautiful Build! How do you like the Reynolds AR wheels? They had made it on my shopping list because of their price and Reynolds warranty.
Thanks! The Reynolds wheels for the money seem to be doing pretty well for me the past 12mo i've had them. They are on the heavier side compared to other brands, but the price is more reasonable. Only issue I had was it would not allow me to register the wheels for warranty reasons, but Reynolds advised me that it was fine so guess ill see what they say when/if the time comes.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

yahoover wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:01 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 pm
Thanks for the insight. Your images of your bare aluminum Allez are the main reason I am even considering the original allez dsw. Its a beautiful classic looking bike! But I agree, from what I have read, the Sprint is an evolutionized version with a more aggressive Geo. I think that Carbon Fiber has developed to a point that performance and price are met in a happy middle ground, so those that would have bought the allez dsw in 2013 simply buy a tarmac today. The sprint is definitely a bold statement to the world of road bikes and racing. I love it.

Another question. The sprint that I am considering to buy does not include a wheelset but Ive heard the only way to go for this bike is deep carbon. Should I be looking for a quality alloy training wheelset (HED belgium/DTswiss) in addition to a deep carbon race wheelset.... or just only deep carbon on both wheelsets?
I switched from 10spd to 11, but got myself a used set of axis 2.0 wheels which I use for training days and wet weather. I have my carbon wheels for race days and group rides cuz gotta show off the bike with the Gucci wheels. Only gripe I have is having to switch my brake pads every time I wanna swap the wheelsets. I would like to have a nice lightweight set of good quality alum wheels in the future tho. I would personally get a decent set of carbon wheels and find a used set of alum which should be too hard.

NoMütze

by NoMütze

here it comes...The Trout...

size 61
built with Dura Ace 9000 groupo/RED cassette
lightbicycle AR46 rims/Newmen hubs CL/CX-ray
Conti GP4000II 25vw/28rw
disc brakes JuinTech GT mech/hydro
Quarq AL crankset/absoluteBlack oval chainrings
Prime stem/bar combo
coming in at 8,15kg
Attachments