DSW Allez Gallery.. show us your smartwelds

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

jamin wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:Been doing some work on my Allez...

stripping the paint.

and then brushed finish w/ black S-Works Tarmac fork. 150g worth of weight loss between the frame and fork. Some of that will go back on when I put some vinyl graphics on and clear coat it.

Looking forward to seeing this finished - I've been thinking about doing this to my DSW - what did you use to strip the frame?

I used a product called "aircraft stripper." It is wicked stuff and makes short work of the paint. It is a form of jelly, so it's a little messy and cumbersome to work with, but it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/GAR343-KLEAN-STRIP-Aircraft-Stripper-Gallon/dp/B004Y1KX9E

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamin

by jamin

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I used a product called "aircraft stripper." It is wicked stuff and makes short work of the paint. It is a form of jelly, so it's a little messy and cumbersome to work with, but it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/GAR343-KLEAN-STRIP-Aircraft-Stripper-Gallon/dp/B004Y1KX9E

Thanks, it looks quite effective! Good luck with the build!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Part one of the monster green snot project.
Using Tapatalk

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's looking good!!

jamin

by jamin

WOW!!!!!!

Not sure about the S-Works decals though, although I think the S-Works frame was pretty much the same just anodised silver, so I guess its cool.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

jamin wrote:WOW!!!!!!

Not sure about the S-Works decals though, although I think the S-Works frame was pretty much the same just anodised silver, so I guess its cool.

Exactly.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Came in at 6.88kg as you see it. Unfortunately it will be swapped to the white and chrome model in about a month as the paint is having cracking issues on the non drive side chain stay and will be warranty replaced. The thing is a beast to ride and surpassed all of my expectations with power transfer while still maintaining comfort.

jamin

by jamin

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
jamin wrote:WOW!!!!!!

Exactly.

Cant wait to see it built!

jamin

by jamin

Stunning!!!! That DA crank works so well too!! Nice one!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

jamin wrote:Stunning!!!! That DA crank works so well too!! Nice one!

Yes, it needed to have a DA crank. I had Ultegra on the bike previously, but I knew the DA crank had to happen. It helped that I wanted to switch my Venge up to 52-36, so I bought a new crank for that bike and took this 50-34 off the Venge.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

That came out awesome! After seeing this thing finished you have helped me make up mind with what finish I want on my caad 9 frame.

upside

by upside

TERRIFIC job and it does look stunning. Did you end up clear coating the frame.... where did you buy the decals. I may try this as I had a SmartWeld last year and really enjoyed it and now looking for another one

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

upside wrote:TERRIFIC job and it does look stunning. Did you end up clear coating the frame.... where did you buy the decals. I may try this as I had a SmartWeld last year and really enjoyed it and now looking for another one

Yes.. I did clear-coat the frame. I got the decals from the internet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com