Let's see your TREK

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

@jfranci3: thank you... any chance for some closer shots of the welds? (HT, BB and seat post junction?)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

they're not globby, not invisible, not ground down, just reduced. Mine look like the ones in James Huang's photos -https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/2019-tr ... lr-review/
I would prefer to see really nice welds done by a craftsman in non traditional locations over invisible ones.

It's interesting to see the differences between my Crockett and Emonda in the tube shapes, sizes, and thicknesses. 3ft away, they look very similar. It's not until you put your hand around them that you feel the newer bike's tubes are much thinner and about 10% bigger in diameter. The placement of the non-round bits are turned 180 degrees.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I took a moment to clean my wife’s Domane and snap some photos. It certainly isn’t a Weight Weenie build, but she’s put a lot of miles on it in the 5 years she’s had it.

Brief specs:

2013 Domane 6 Series
Shimano Ultegra 6800 all around (50/34, 12-25 cassette)
Bontrager XXX stem
Bontrager Affinity RL WSD saddle
Bontrager RL cages
Bontrager Paradigm Elite TLR wheels w/ Continental 4000SII tires (700x25c - measures out to almost 28mm)
Zipp 80 handlebars (38cm)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izza

by izza

Hers the SLR ready to go.
Attachments
B455FCC9-B32B-4D2D-B77A-476D518C1602.jpeg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice color scheme. What size? 58?

joejack951

by joejack951

1984 Trek 660 with full 105 5800 group, Ritchey Classic bars and seatpost, Kalloy Uno stem (hand polished), Mavic Cosmos wheels, and Vittoria Corsa G+ tires plus my own threadless conversion headset design. Original threaded steerer fork in use.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Please give us more photos. That looks like an amazing build.

izza

by izza

FIJIGabe wrote:Nice color scheme. What size? 58?
Yes

58cm with low 130mm stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:27 pm
Please give us more photos. That looks like an amazing build.
Perhaps you mean my 660, but not sure. Anything in particular you want to see? The build isn't all that exciting outside of the threadless conversion (but I'm biased there).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It's not the typical build we see on WW. Did you have to open the rear triangle for 130mm hubs, or was it already 130mm?

joejack951

by joejack951

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 pm
It's not the typical build we see on WW. Did you have to open the rear triangle for 130mm hubs, or was it already 130mm?
I saw a few other classic bikes in this thread so figured I'd post mine. Nice to see it sparked some interest.

So the frame was and still is 126mm at the rear dropouts. Thin steel stays flex very readily so a 130mm hub slides right in with minimal fuss. If I raced this bike I might consider cold-setting the frame but the (minimal) risk of damage isn't worth it to me given the ease of installing an oversize hub. Indexing works just fine even at 11 speeds. I was heavily debating a silver Campy group for this build but went Shimano so keep the overall cost low. I had those Mavic Cosmos wheels sitting around (purchased in 2004) and given that they fit an 11 speed cassette they just made sense to use rather than custom building something. I'll save that effort for an even nicer frame.

I initially built the bike using a quill stem and the original handlebars but I had issues with the bars slipping in the stem and the angled transition to the hoods just wasn't all that comfortable. I didn't want to use a basic threadless adapter as I hate the way they look so I designed and fabricated my own conversion headset to allow me to cleanly use a threadless stem while retaining the stock steel threaded fork. Details of how that works can be seen in this picture:

Another swapped out part was a Ritchey Classic stem. While a perfect match for the finish and logos on the handlebars and seatpost, the -6° angle never looked right to me with the level top tube. So after much searching, I finally settled on a -17° Kalloy Uno in black which I stripped using a Scotchbrite wheel then polished. I hope to some day make my own stem with a more appropriately sized extension that matches the thin tubes of the frame better. Always something, right?

With the threadless stem and modern bars the bike really feels transformed. The headset supports the stem much like a real threadless system (utilizing the upper bearing for support) so a lot of the typical flexiness you get with a vintage set-up is gone, but the rest of the frame/fork still allows for a supple ride.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the write-up on how you did it. I keep an eBay search going for vintage 60cm Treks, but can't seem to pull the trigger on one. Maybe your build will finally get me going.

How were you able to fabricate your adapter? If I get a vintage Trek, I may hit you up to see how you did it, because it's definitely a great looking bike!

joejack951

by joejack951

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 pm
Thanks for the write-up on how you did it. I keep an eBay search going for vintage 60cm Treks, but can't seem to pull the trigger on one. Maybe your build will finally get me going.

How were you able to fabricate your adapter? If I get a vintage Trek, I may hit you up to see how you did it, because it's definitely a great looking bike!
I'm a product designer (mostly medical devices but I branch out into anything that interests me). To be clear, if I do anything on a product it is typically just assembly or some slight modification or fine tuning. I had a production facility that I've worked with for years CNC machine aluminum and steel parts that I designed in CAD, another facility laser cut a stainless washer, another produced some rubber dust seals, and another produced cartridge bearings to my spec. I did some basic assembly to bring it all together. The result of all that is pictured below:

ImageImage

StellarPatellar

by StellarPatellar

That post about the custom headset is an example of why I keep reading this forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 pm
2019 Emonda ALR Disc 58cm
Looks better than I hoped for on a 58cm AL bike. I need to rewrap the bars after brake fluid ruined the print on the bar tape.

No lightweight - 8.5kg as ridden with Frog pedals (255g), Wahoo bolt (60g + mount), a tube, 2 cages, and some light mounts. It is a full KG lighter than my mechanical disc (Spyres) 2014 Crockett in the configuration with same crank/wheels/tires. I live on one of the flattest places on earth, so I'm not worried about weight.

Invisible welds, not so invisible.
That’s gorgeous