Let's see your TREK

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I would love to own that bike, I am jelly. If it was my size I would also be trying to open my wallet for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

This bike is an enigma I cannot figure out. Originally, I thought this was FC's backup 2012 Olympic Road Race frame. However, on second inspection, based on seeing the "Trek Factory Racing" and "Shimano" decals, as Olympics sponsorship/branding rules forbid them, what I think you're looking at is one of FC's backup bikes from either 2013 or 2014.

Here's a photo of FC finishing the 2012 London Olympic Road Race:

As you can see from the closeup, the headset is black, but that's an easy thing to change, however, the stem spacing isn't as easy, because the bike FC rode in that race has no spacers under the stem, whereas yours has a 5mm spacer. Now, keep in mind, FC routinely alternated between having no spacers and having one spacer, as can be seen on the same model bike in 2014 Image

Also, as you can see from the first image, FC is clearly riding DA7900, whereas your frame has DA9000, which, although released in 2012, was not on the bike he raced in London, as it was in tight supply. Also, the wheels you have on the bike aren't the ones in the image, which have the older "white" hubs, which were the original version of the Aeolus wheels.

Ultimately, what I think you have is one of FC's backup bikes for the 2013 or 2014 season, which he kept around (because it's a very good bike) until the Koppenberg frames came out, at which point he abandoned the Classics frames, altogether. Enjoy it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

Well, do any of you have any idea what I could look for on the bike to solve the riddle? Not sure the wheels are that much of a clue I kind of got the feeling that the wheels were a bonus. The guy I was dealing with seemed a bit surprised that they sent them. They could have been prior years model.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice pic @FIJIGabe... but I don't think Cancellara ever rode the "Classics" version on the road. Terrible geometry for the road. That, in the picture would most likely have the same geometry as the "alternate" version of the Classics frame, which would later be named the Koppenberg (they had to call it something). It shares the geometry with the Madone, and and later Emonda, with a couple of slight differences, and includes rear isospeed. It is essentially an Emonda on Steroids if I had to describe it in today's terms. He only rode the Classics version in Paris Roubaix. All the other races, including Flanders were on the more road race oriented geometry of the Koppenberg as far as I know. It confused the heck out of the media and it was funny seeing them report while he was racing it in the Grand Tours how "Cancellara prefers the relaxed geometry of the Domane, blah blah", when in fact it was not Domane geometry at all, but essentially the same as the Madones, just a beefed up frame and included the rear isospeed. But the Madones were harsh riding, and several other team members were later also on the yet to be named "Koppenberg" instead of the Madone. I never really liked the cable routing of either of them back then, with holes in the headtube etc., and they fiddled around with that quite a bit. For a few days in the 2012 Tour, Cancellara held the yellow jersey and here's the obligatory yellow version of what later got dubbed "Koppenberg" and was actually available to the public, although in extremely limited quantities and sizes (they never made any smaller than a 56)... only sizes in what the pro riders that used them required... this is what I think is pictured in @FIJIGabe's post above, the same frame from the 2012 Tour de France, except with "Spartacus" paint...
But a tell tale sign of the different bikes geometry is if you can get a good look at the fork offset at the dropouts. The "Non Classics" version (Koppenberg) had very swept back dropouts and shorter chainstays (see below). While the Paris Roubaix Classsics version back then also had these, the back sweep wasn't as extreme. The Classics Geometry, or what is today referred to by Trek as the Pro-Endurance Geometry, has significantly longer chainstays, wheelbase etc., different fork rake and headtube angle etc... really a completely different bike from a handling perspective.
Here's an example of the fork dropouts, which are on the Koppenberg (the alternate to the Classics geo)... and even thought the Classics version had somewhat swept back dropouts back then, they weren't as extreme as this.

But I'm pretty sure the bike that @ArtV won is the Classics version, at least from what I can see... It looks like there's a fair bit of daylight between the seattube and the tire which leads me to think it's got the longer chainstays of the Classics version as well. Ha... wheelbase measurement could easily confirm which it is, skewer end to skewer end for simplicity. Or headtube length might be easier... can you measure it to either 120mm or 143mm? Cancellara rode this geometry even in his last 2016 Paris Roubaix, although by then it was called the Pro Endurance geometry and had iso speed front and rear. Still very different from standard Domane geometry, but not at all like the road race geo of the Koppenberg. Confused enough now? It's a fabulous bike. They both are, for their intended purposes.

Cancellara with the Koppenberg... used on "the road"...

And his last Paris Roubaix, with all the bells and whistles Pro-Endurance Geometry Domane,...

I will never not enter a contest like that again. Well done @ArtV!!
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ArtV

by ArtV

Head tube is 143ish mm.

Bikeradar has an interesting article on the Classic vs Koppenberg Domane:

"Pro Bikes: Devolder's Domane Classics and Domane Koppenberg"

Right year for this bike.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup... 58 Classics geo.
And a link to the article you referenced (I also referenced it in my Koppenberg Build Thread)...
Bike Radar Article
If it was a 60 I might have been knocking on your doorstep. So... pristine condition?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Just chillin'
Attachments
IMG_6420.JPG

mcfarton

by mcfarton

majklnajt wrote:Just chillin'
Are you watching a tool video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Hehe, no :mrgreen:

ArtV

by ArtV

Here is my Trek that I actually ride. I know it is probably a let down compared to my 'other' Trek but thought I would share anyway.

2015 Emonda SL6

6.5 kg with two cages and Garmin Mount

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's a nice looking bike. What brakes are you using?

BTW, I wish I could get either of my bikes to 6.5kg!

ArtV

by ArtV

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 pm
That's a nice looking bike. What brakes are you using?

BTW, I wish I could get either of my bikes to 6.5kg!
The brakes are TRP970EQ.

I am running out of cost effective ways to loose weight. I have my eyes on a Wren stem and a Cinelli Neos bar but that is a 28 gram savings at best. 36 grams for a Sram Red casette but my Dura-Ace is still working well. EE brakes are pretty expensive and I would REALLY rather get an SLR frame. I'll have to put on my climbing wheels and re-weigh it. I could cheat and put on my Cancellara tubulars.....those suckers are light!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ArtV wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 pm
I am running out of cost effective ways to loose weight. I have my eyes on a Wren stem and a Cinelli Neos bar but that is a 28 gram savings at best. 36 grams for a Sram Red casette but my Dura-Ace is still working well. EE brakes are pretty expensive and I would REALLY rather get an SLR frame. I'll have to put on my climbing wheels and re-weigh it. I could cheat and put on my Cancellara tubulars.....those suckers are light!
Totally put the tubulars on and ride them. Why not? The frame may not fit you, but it's a shame if you're not using those wheels. I'd bet the little splash of something other than black would really make the whole bike pop. Put the other wheels on, take it oustide and at least take another picture for us. Also, that chain ring looks like it'd be awfully flexy, at least for a bigger guy like me or Cancellara. There, I finally did it... managed to get myself in the same sentence as Cancellara while talking about a bike. My day is complete.

ArtV

by ArtV

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm
ArtV wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 pm
Totally put the tubulars on and ride them. Why not? The frame may not fit you, but it's a shame if you're not using those wheels. I'd bet the little splash of something other than black would really make the whole bike pop. Put the other wheels on, take it oustide and at least take another picture for us. Also, that chain ring looks like it'd be awfully flexy, at least for a bigger guy like me or Cancellara. There, I finally did it... managed to get myself in the same sentence as Cancellara while talking about a bike. My day is complete.
The benefits of being a little guy is that I can use light weight chainrings like that and have a LOWER MODEL Emonda that weighs 6.5 kg. The bad news is that I can't ride my Cancellara bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thanos

by Thanos

Can't remember if I posted this or not. Weight includes pedals and mounts etc.ImageImage

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk