Let's see your TREK

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 am
FIJIGabe wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:31 pm
In my experice when dealing with Trek for warranty, they'll offer you a replacement frame, or the value toward another frame, and you just pay the difference. I would definitely jump on the Checkpoint!
Dealer called and are warranting it. Ordered a Checkpoint SL as it’ll be my Roubaix as well as my gravel bike; the flexy rear should be nice.
Enjoy!

TheRich

by TheRich

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 am

Dealer called and are warranting it. Ordered a Checkpoint SL as it’ll be my Roubaix as well as my gravel bike; the flexy rear should be nice.
It is nice, very nice.

New Boone with a split personality:
IMG_20190203_161939_499.jpg
IMG_20190204_123459.jpg
8.62kg in road mode without saddlebag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

[quote=TheRich post_id=1461215 time=1549508289 user_id=75435

It is nice, very nice.

New Boone with a split personality:

IMG_20190203_161939_499.jpg
IMG_20190204_123459.jpg

8.62kg in road mode without saddlebag.
[/quote]

Two sets of pedals is overkill. Just use the MTB pedals for everything.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Alfus wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 am
Custom Seapost, longer and zero offset

Yeah, Alfus! Could you share more details on your custom seatpost. Really intrested in doing the same as you. How much does the one you made weigh and what's its length?

Thanks!

TheRich

by TheRich

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 am

Two sets of pedals is overkill. Just use the MTB pedals for everything.
I prefer the more secure hold of road pedals for the road, plus they're Garmin Vectors...if I have them, might as well use them. :noidea:

I did start to consider selling the pedals and getting a Pioneer PM, but it seemed excessive...not sure how much I'd be able to watch power numbers while off road.

Alfus

by Alfus

DWatkinsBSB wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:26 am
Alfus wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 am
Custom Seapost, longer and zero offset
Yeah, Alfus! Could you share more details on your custom seatpost. Really intrested in doing the same as you. How much does the one you made weigh and what's its length?

Thanks!
Sorry for the delay! I don't remember the length, around 170mm, now it's even lighter than the second picture because I change the upper part of the clamp for another ones from a KCNC seatpost.

Montrose saddle and stock seatpost

Custom seatpost and light saddle

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Alfus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm
Sorry for the delay! I don't remember the length, around 170mm, now it's even lighter than the second picture because I change the upper part of the clamp for another ones from a KCNC seatpost.

Montrose saddle and stock seatpost

Custom seatpost and light saddle
Thanks Alfus! Any chance you know how much the seatposts (or saddles) weigh? Just trying to figure out the weight of the custom seatpost.

That being said, very impressive weight savings with the combo, congratulations!!!

Further to that, any chance you could share details on what carbon post you used (where did you buy it and what specs)?

Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A Trek 175mm seatmast weighs 153g (average of two I’ve weighed). That Aspide saddle weighs ~110g. Therefore, deduct the saddle from his combined weight of 236g and that leaves 236-110=~126g for the post and collar.
153-126=27g total savings over stock SL seatpost and clamp.
I suppose if you really need a zero offset seatpost...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Hey Cal, I know you went into some detail about the SLR seatposts that have two slots vs. one. What was your conclusion on that? I don't remember where you posted it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, it’s not so much the two slots that was the problem as much as the SLR clamp with the two “barrels” that press down right at the points where the edges of the slots are. It creates stress risers and more than one person has cracked their seatpost when tightening which, means a new frame. I think Trek has been good about warranting those but still, I think it’s a bad design in the first place. I’d stick with the regular seatmast and collar.
And I also don’t like that they bond the clamp on the non SLR seatmasts to the actual mast. Maybe they do this so you won’t lose it or to keep the open slot on the clamp positioned correctly but I much prefer if the collar can “slide” around the seatpost as it’s tightening. Like a rope would, rather than be rigidly fixed so that it clamps like a vice and perhaps unevenly. I managed to break the bond (intentionally) on one seatmast so that it was completely separated from the mast itself. Then it is free to tighten the mast to the seatpost more uniformly, like most regular seatpost collars would do on most frames.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Ok, that makes sense. I have an older SLR style seatpost with one slot (two barrels) and the new Emonda came with the newer 2-slot (2 barrel) style. Interestingly, the new 2-slot style seatmast had the collar loose when I got it, so I can position it anywhere I like. I was thinking of just putting the older mast on the new bike, since I know it's good, and using the newer (albeit smaller and lighter) mast on my old Madone, since that's just going to be relegated to the trainer now, anyway.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I have two different masts too, one slot and two slots, but both have the regular (non SLR) collar. I still have the slot on the collar itself situated in the rear center however on both masts. Carbon paste between the seatpost and the mast and a light film of grease between the collar and the seatmast.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Calnago wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pm
A Trek 175mm seatmast weighs 153g (average of two I’ve weighed). That Aspide saddle weighs ~110g. Therefore, deduct the saddle from his combined weight of 236g and that leaves 236-110=~126g for the post and collar.
153-126=27g total savings over stock SL seatpost and clamp.
I suppose if you really need a zero offset seatpost...
I suppose that could be the case.

My SLR 175mm seatmast and clamping mechanism weighs 161.3 grams with the 6x9 rail mount (6x6 weighs a little less). The Bontrager Montrose Elite that came with my bike weighs 223.1 grams. 384.4 grams for both.

Bikerumor has an actual weight for a Aspide at 105 grams. If thats the case for Alfus, then his seatpost is at 131 grams.

Is 30 grams worth it? Well, if my bike is at 5.029 kilos and I've done everything else, then yes (I've set myself a harder then necessary challenge by going down this route on a SL frame instead of an SLR, but that's a conversation for another thread).

More importantly, in this case there's the sheer awesome factor of having a fellow forum member going out there and absolutely owning it instead of just saying "oh well, this is what trek sells". I wouldn't mind having something as unique and custom as that on the build I'm working on. To top it off, I could do with the zero offset also!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It’s lighter, but stiffness might have been sacrificed

https://imgur.com/gallery/FB9s4uc

Alfus

by Alfus

Well, the saddle is from aliexpress and weight 121 grms.
236-121=115

With the new bolts and clamps weights -16grm. =99 grm

I need a Zero offset and longer seatpost than the stock one for the size 54 and I'm not going to pay 150€ to Trek for it.

Is not all about the weight, I have a great time doing these tasks, cutting, sanding, etc ... :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com