Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

JHeiro

by JHeiro

Rode my Giant Trinity TT to 2nd fastest bike split of the day on Challenge Turku Half Ironman Relay. Lost to former Kona Winner and world champion Sebastian Kienle (by almost 4min), but beat all the other Pros and age group athletes.

90k flat course with six 180 degree sharp turns. 44,3km/h av. speed, 286W av. power (4,46W/kg). UCI legal TT position, as I'm a cyclist and not a triathlete. Quite ok for a 41-year-old amateur working 60-80h / week.

nikib

by nikib

Another Giant Trinity from Finland to supplement JHeiro's :)

Ridden in this setup (minus the training saddlepack) to Elite Nats 4th place and M30 Nats 3rd place

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wow so many trinity. if i ever buy another TT frameset, trinity would be one to consider! looks awesome.

/roastme on my cafe position. zero testing , and unfortunately missed the last TT of the year over the weekend, but hey, it's a side shot!

ISO kask mistral

Last edited by nathanong87 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

DoMahLawn sells Trinities.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm
DoMahLawn sells Trinities.
hahahaha FAX

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Trinity is good bang for $ now its uci legal out of the box.

Question.
What's required to make a P5-6 uci legal?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 pm
Trinity is good bang for $ now its uci legal out of the box.

Question.
What's required to make a P5-6 uci legal?

what about tri bikes that aren't the 'lotus' style frame or fairings would be illegal now? UCI relaxed the 3:1 size of foils right? like the Tri forks 'should' be legal now?

edit: did the uci actually go through with that? or was that just proposed? (to remove the 3:1)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm
what about tri bikes that aren't the 'lotus' style frame or fairings would be illegal now? UCI relaxed the 3:1 size of foils right? like the Tri forks 'should' be legal now?

edit: did the uci actually go through with that? or was that just proposed? (to remove the 3:1)
They did relax/remove the 3:1 rule, but there are still additional rules that result in designers not being able to get too radical with a UCi TT bike or aero bikes in general.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ign-281626

It is also important to note that simply having a deep tubing section doesn't men the bike is MORE aero... in a track setting, super deep tube profiles might be faster, but out on the open road, tube shapes are much more important and going super deep only helps in certain wind conditions and really hurts in others... and also makes the bike harder to ride.

Specialized quietly updated their fork on the Shiv TT late last season and even in the early 2018 season, not all of the athletes had the new fork. I noticed and asked the Specialized aero guys about this. One of them commented, Chris Yu or Mark Cote (I can't remember who) said the new fork was good for like 6 seconds on a 40K TT.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm
Specialized quietly updated their fork on the Shiv TT late last season and even in the early 2018 season, not all of the athletes had the new fork. I noticed and asked the Specialized aero guys about this. One of them commented, Chris Yu or Mark Cote (I can't remember who) said the new fork was good for like 6 seconds on a 40K TT.
Trek did much the same thing with the front fork. The "UCI" specific fork of years past is gone, and now selecting the UCI package just affects the bars and airfoil under the rear brake, but the fork and frame remain the same. I verified this by looking at some photos, and sure enough, even back during the 2017 season, TFS was using the old non-UCI forks, whereas in 2016, they had thinner forks to comply with the 3:1 ratio rule.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What's the general consensus on these as a base for a build. Image

Using Tapatalk

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am
What's the general consensus on these as a base for a build.
I'd be concerned about any stem availability if adjustment is needed. Its bad enough trying to get integrated parts from the "major players" nevermind smaller brands.

Also the front brake baffles me like that; QR's used to be like that, V brake on the front and a whopping big cable loop into it. I suspect its taking an aero loss compared to a standard caliper. or why cant they do similar to the speed concept??
Official cafe stop tester

jekyll man

by jekyll man

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Trek did much the same thing with the front fork. The "UCI" specific fork of years past is gone, and now selecting the UCI package just affects the bars and airfoil under the rear brake, but the fork and frame remain the same. I verified this by looking at some photos, and sure enough, even back during the 2017 season, TFS was using the old non-UCI forks, whereas in 2016, they had thinner forks to comply with the 3:1 ratio rule.
Are you certain about this? I've a "1 click" P1 2018 SC, and when i ordered it, i think default was tri-mode, but if you went uci legal, it automatically changed forks, basebar, speedfin, seatpin.
If you bought an "off the shelf" bike from what i've seen it comes uci friendly.

Maybe changed for MY2019 idk :noidea:
Official cafe stop tester

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Something just appeared in the back of my van..

At 188cm UCI regs kill most of the creativity with fit so changing stems really isnt an issue. It's basically 50mm of saddle set back with as much reach as possible and dial in the stack till things stop hurting/robbing power haha.

Front brake issue should be workable with some creative cable routing. Will pinch the base bar off the DA3 and use these extensions. Have some deep arm cups coming that were going on the other halfs Plazma but managed to score her some 51ss cups so I'll pinch those :) Image

Using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The Felt bar doesn't fit :( clamping area is only 37-38mm wide and the Focus clamp is about 42mm.

ImageImage

Using Tapatalk

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
It is also important to note that simply having a deep tubing section doesn't men the bike is MORE aero... in a track setting, super deep tube profiles might be faster, but out on the open road, tube shapes are much more important and going super deep only helps in certain wind conditions and really hurts in others... and also makes the bike harder to ride.
Actually it isn't tube shapes so much as frontal area that's important. Elements of the bike frame and bars are in the sub critical Re# zone where deeper aspect ratios have some benefit, but not a lot. In theory Kamm profiles should be best if you are unable to have at least a 6:1 aspect. High yaws (where deep aspects might be undesirable) will rarely occur in a TT.

I think the P5-6 fork would be legal now since the blades are just under 80mm deep. The fairings that go around the brake and front of the headtube would not be legal though, because the headtube is already near the 160mm limit.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com