Tire weights .. Marathon Supreme vs Continental Ultra ll's ---> wire bead

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
WinterRider

by WinterRider

Took delivery yesterday of a set of Marathon Supremes in 32mm... my scale shows 369 per tire. That'll work .. purchased for backup wheelset for winter in Tx.. roads at times give me fits w flats. And I wanted to test their rolling resistance.

What I did FIND.. is the Continental Ultra ll's.. wire bead that Nashbar stated at 340 grs in NOT close to that... 425 grams I weighed at.. geeeeez Louise. What I did find looking closely via Continental's website.. is the WIRE beaded version was stated at 410 grs... close enough for gov work. Buttt... Nash blowing off the wts irritates me. Guess the help is pushed to get things done... de-tales be dammed. Happens... Nashbar has been good to me over time... the Ultra ll is great rubber for the cost too.

But ya know I thought these wire beads SLOW... thought it was just me. Added wt vs the foldable Ultra ll's I ran earlier ... 2+ ounces of wt MORE rotating. Tad too much. :smartass:

SIDEBAR: the Ultra ll's mount easily... nice for on the road repairs. Wear decent too.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alumen

by Alumen

I have used the Ultra II's as training tyre on my racer.

Maybe less supple..., but the rolling resistance is close to the GP4ksII I noticed. Wearing is decent, grip is good. I just had only one puncture with this tyre in 1.500km.

Recommended !
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

froze

by froze

The Supremes are a better tire than the Conti's you had could ever hope to be. The Supremes also are the fastest rolling commuter/touring tire besides the Schwalbe Amotion tires; the Supremes also have longer tread life and superior flat protection; and if you go out in the garage, or wherever you keep your bike at night and put your ear up to the tires you'll hear the Supremes singing...

froze

by froze

WinterRider wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm

SIDEBAR: the Ultra ll's mount easily... nice for on the road repairs. Wear decent too.
I'm going to say something that most people are going to frown upon...oh well!

Tires that are easy to go on are easy to come off, as you stated, but what you failed to see is that if you have a blowout that type of tire will roll off the rim easier, and that can be a very bad thing for your well-being. I hate easy to put on and take off tires.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

froze wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 pm
The Supremes are a better tire than the Conti's you had could ever hope to be. The Supremes also are the fastest rolling commuter/touring tire besides the Schwalbe Amotion tires; the Supremes also have longer tread life and superior flat protection; and if you go out in the garage, or wherever you keep your bike at night and put your ear up to the tires you'll hear the Supremes singing...
I'm a big fan of the Conti Contact Urban's. Very tough, grippy, roll really well and available in so many sizes.
They're heavy as they're wire bead if that's a concern.

I do like the Ultra Sport, the folding 25-28mm ones are the best tyre you can buy if you have a strict budget.
Tires that are easy to go on are easy to come off, as you stated, but what you failed to see is that if you have a blowout that type of tire will roll off the rim easier, and that can be a very bad thing for your well-being. I hate easy to put on and take off tires.
100% agree. I'd be extremely worried about riding a tyre that just slips onto a rim.
Last edited by CampagYOLO on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Sorry, double post

froze

by froze

I agree that the Schwalbe is a much better tire than the Conti tires.

There is one thing you mentioned about the Conti and that was they go on easy...that is NOT a good thing! Am I crazy you scream? Here's the problem, a tire that is easy to go on means it will also be easy to come off in a blowout or sudden loss of PSI, the tire will roll right off the rim, not a good thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com