Commuting Woes

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Might as well kick this sub-forum off with a frustrating post: I was just riding along when I met with someone who can only best be described by the name of a certain Belgian style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery. Driver decided to ram me from behind and drive off while standing at a red light to turn left. What you don't see in the picture is there was also a motorcyclist in front of me and no cars in the right lane where the driver could have moved to if they were not happy being behind me at a red light. Wheel and tire luckily were the only damage. Cop had a good hearted laugh when he saw how few digits the serial number on the frame had. Unfortunately the driver was never apprehended even though there are pictures of face, car and license plate. In fact I could never get a hold of the detective in charge of the case....

Figured some of you might enjoy a taco-ed wheel since I am fine. I actually liked the wheels so hopefully something can be worked out with Soul Bikes for a new rim :) :)

In the mean time might as well make this a productive post. From my experience, most people do not escalate an issue to this level and are perfectly happy cursing at you from behind their cage. However obviously there are the exceptions, how do you deal with drivers like this one? And then how do you go about dealing with the legal system which is most likely going to be heavily biased against cyclist because of all the ones that run red lights (yes...I stop at red lights). I can't help but think the detective put in charge of this case just did not care since it was a cyclist even though the cost of potential damages could have easily exceeded a 'fender bender' with a normal car.

It even looks like a broken heart!

Hey, it fits into the corner of my living room nicely now!
Last edited by Szczuldo on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

velomane

by velomane

Sorry, your pictures aren't showing up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Well, now I know I can't link straight from google photos. Should work now.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

citadelguard

by citadelguard

The rage such an incident would incite in me would be unimaginable - I'd be out for blood. I'm sorry that such people inhabit this world. Thank the heavens that my commute is almost entire on bicycle trails and I don't have to interact with too many automobiles. My rage is mostly limited to those that ride mopeds and scooters on the bike paths....
- 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO
- 1982 Team Fuji (Setup for gravel)
- 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper HT L (In pieces)

velomane

by velomane

Yeah, I'd be apoplectic if some SOB visited this sort of rage upon me for simply riding a bike. Takes all sorts, I guess. As for law enforcement, my colleague's brother-in-law is a city cop where I am. According to him, whether this sort of thing is properly investigated or not is entirely dependent upon whether the officer assigned to the case gives a damn about the incident or he's a lazy sod who's content to sit at his desk and do little.

Szczuldo, I hope you're okay physically and mentally.

F45

by F45

Szczuldo wrote: Unfortunately the driver was never apprehended even though there are pictures of face, car and license plate....

Post 'em!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Glad to know you're fine.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mattr

by mattr

If you have the plate can you not being a private prosecution against the driver.

nayr497

by nayr497

Damn, that sucks!

Glad you are okay. Where I live signals are rarely used and people refuse to turn their lights on a dusk or during heavy storms. I dream of the police employing a whole force of traffic police to enforce these issues. Nothing like piloting a large, deadly machine improperly...

It is truly amazing how easy it is to get a drivers license in the U.S. and pilot the vehicle improperly without any penalties.

I had a guy follow me and threaten to kill me because I told him to use his turn signals. He works at a school I can see from my front porch. I called the police, filed a report, called the school. Police said they were "uncomfortable" approaching him at work, school principal told me it was a "police matter." Truly amazing how little respect cyclists get.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

spookyload

by spookyload

So that is called assault with a deadly weapon n case you are wondering. I live in a concealed carry state, and am authorized to respond to this type of threat with equal force. That being said, I also carry x-12 mace that shoots 20 feet. I have had to use it once with a drunk driver who wanted to play. The last time he drove by me to try and ditch me, he got a face full and drove into the ditch. Cops arrive and hauled him away for dui and the assault. Just becaus he didn't hit me doesn't lessen the charge. It was about intent. I testified in his trial against him, and my GoPro video spoke louder than me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

So spookyload, don't keep us in suspense. What penalties were imposed on the viscious cur? Where I'm from, I'd expect to charged with assault for having maced someone, no matter what the circumstance.