Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

weaverdcivw wrote:No, it's called proper spelling.

weaverdcivw wrote:I'm pretty sure a wheel company did not invent the word "lightweight".

I'm pretty sure you're relatively new here. :roll:
Here's a link to get you oriented: http://www.lightweight.info/

Yes, "lightweight" as one word is proper spelling. No shit, sherlock.
You also pointed out that "light weight" is acceptable as well.
You also fail to recognize context as it pertains to this forum. The very place you are posting.

Do yourself a favor and look up Lightweight Wheels. They don't make Aluminum Clinchers.
Which is why, sir/madam/child/whatever you are, this thread title is a bit misleading, and would be better of as "Light Weight Aluminum Clinchers"
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

prendrefeu wrote:
weaverdcivw wrote:No, it's called proper spelling.

weaverdcivw wrote:I'm pretty sure a wheel company did not invent the word "lightweight".

I'm pretty sure you're relatively new here. :roll:
Here's a link to get you oriented: http://www.lightweight.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, "lightweight" as one word is proper spelling. No shit, sherlock.
You also pointed out that "light weight" is acceptable as well.
You also fail to recognize context as it pertains to this forum. The very place you are posting.

Do yourself a favor and look up Lightweight Wheels. They don't make Aluminum Clinchers.
Which is why, sir/madam/child/whatever you are, this thread title is a bit misleading, and would be better of as "Light Weight Aluminum Clinchers"

Well aware of that wheel brand. Also never pointed out that light weight was acceptable terminology, we learn rudimentary grammar like this at a pretty early age over here .

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=light+weight

Context is not a replacement for proper spelling/grammar, sorry I wish it were.

DMF

by DMF

prefendrue, I find it a tad ironic that you're cracking down so hard on this word with double intentions, while at the same time your signature clearly has double meaning. Both intentions of your signature are btw great advice, take this as a hint to yourself...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, they are double meanings - but they aren't misleading, such as a thread title worded a certain way would be misleading.
Again, it's context that matters.
If someone on WW is looking at the forum threads and sees "Lightweight" - the default association is with Lightweight as a brand, where as if it were "light weight" the thread would be recognized as something having to do with weight concerns and not necessarily Lightweights. If we see "lightweight" written as one word on a boxing forum, the context there would be towards either the weight division of the fighter or an adjective - but I don't know for certain as I don't frequent boxing forums. The point is context and usage in that context.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Irish

by Irish

..and of course english is everyones first language. Back on topic please, education snobs.

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

Prendrefeu, everyone gets what you mean. I've only been here since October and the "lightweight" vs. "Lightweight" has been discussed many times. The point of the matter is, your insistent d0uchebaggery overrides the relevance of this argument within the context of this thread.

Nice wheels, OP. I'm looking at a similar build myself except with a 30mm deep wheel, same 20/24 as I am generally 160-165 during the warmer months. Look forward to some feedback after you log a couple of rides!

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Lightweight light weight, does it really matter :noidea:
If the post subject is not off interest to you just hit the back button :roll:
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Irish wrote:..and of course english is everyones first language. Back on topic please, education snobs.

Agreed. Or as we refer to them over here..."Grammar WWII Enemies". ;)
(sometims, I spell stuff wrong on purpuse to drive them crazy)
Last edited by 2ndgen on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artray

by artray

Who cares if it's lightweight, light weight. We all understand the point being made . Stop being so anal out there.

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

Sorry for the drama I caused with the spelling of the thread title.

As far as the wheels go, I have gotten about 200 miles on them this weekend. The miles have included some climbing, high intensity paceline work and the obligatory town line sprints. On the climbing they are obviously great. My usual training wheels are about 1800 gram C4 rim clinchers with a PT. Compared to those, there is a clearly noticeable improvement in weight. When standing on the climbs, I did not appreciate a noticeable change in rigidity or flex compared to the training wheels. As far as sprinting, there was a very noticeable change in feel. However, I think much of this is due to the decrease in weight not necessarily rigidity. Tough for me to tell whether the lateral instability was completely due to the flickability/weight or whether it was partially attributable to decrease lateral stiffness. Again, I doubt anyone would be looking at a set of wheels like these for crits. Any sprinting on these wheels is going to be at the end of a road race where my power output is going to be a lot less than my power at the end of a 90min crit.

Again, even at this spoke count I realize that the weight (and therefore strength) of these rims is going to be a big question mark. These spokes feel spooky taut which makes me quite happy I opted to spend the $ on CX-Rays vs. some other light spoke. I will update again after I get 2000 miles on them (or after I have a catastrophic failure).

Lastly, those Soul wheels were actually at the top of my list along with the light offerings from Williams and Boyd. As someone mentioned, I ended up going 'custom' as I know who built them and I was able to spend the money where I wanted to spend it....plus I got a firsthand great wheel-building tutorial out of it.

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Thanks for the update Snowstorm :D

What tyres are you using? Tubeless or tyres and tubes? I've got the same wheels on order but with Tune hubs and will be using latex tubes with Michelin Pro Race 4 tyres but are wondering what width rim tape to use. Stans say 21mm but when using their tape but I like to use the Velox cloth tape and wondering what width to buy.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

Snowstorm

by Snowstorm

MrMojo wrote:Thanks for the update Snowstorm :D

What tyres are you using? Tubeless or tyres and tubes? I've got the same wheels on order but with Tune hubs and will be using latex tubes with Michelin Pro Race 4 tyres but are wondering what width rim tape to use. Stans say 21mm but when using their tape but I like to use the Velox cloth tape and wondering what width to buy.

Definitely running tubes. I like that these rims provide the opportunity to go tubeless at some point, but I am just underwhelmed with regard to the current status of tubeless tires. There is little selection and no weight savings.

I am running some lightweight tubes on Pro3's (all about the closeout prices). Using 17mm velox tape. Didn't even realize that Stan's had a recommendation on tape width. Just used what I always used. I will let you know if I run into any problems with it.

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Snowstorm wrote:
MrMojo wrote:Thanks for the update Snowstorm :D

Definitely running tubes. I like that these rims provide the opportunity to go tubeless at some point, but I am just underwhelmed with regard to the current status of tubeless tires. There is little selection and no weight savings.

I am running some lightweight tubes on Pro3's (all about the closeout prices). Using 17mm velox tape. Didn't even realize that Stan's had a recommendation on tape width. Just used what I always used. I will let you know if I run into any problems with it.

Thankyou :thumbup:
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

MrMojo wrote:Stans say 21mm but when using their tape but I like to use the Velox cloth tape and wondering what width to buy.

I'm pretty sure they recommend that so it seals better for tubeless applications. The tape runs up to (and often into) the bead socket... which I don't like personally, if you are going to use tubes. I prefer two staggered layers of the 12mm Stan's tape, or if you are a real weight weenie you can cut up pieces of Scotch 898 strapping tape and lay them perpendicular over each hole.

jbf

by jbf

I have run one layer of Stans 21mm tape and installed Maxxis flyweight butyl tubes and Vittoria Open Corsa 23c tires. Lightweight and it works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com