Your Favorite Clincher Tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

In my experience, Veloflex stretch out enough after some use where you can get them on by hand (putting them on for the first time is a pain, though).

With that said, I wasn't blown away by the Veloflex Corsa (even with latex tubes). I actually rate the Michelin Krylion pretty high for a good overall tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

I've nearly caused my hands to bleed when mounting Veloflex for the first time...Yes they do stretch out and become easier, but imo their still a pita, and I get flats at the most inopportune times like when it's 25 degrees out or when I'm 10miles from home with 15 minutes of sunlight left.
I must say that I feel like the Veloflex/Vredestein combo lives up to the high praise it get's around here, but I just wouldn't call it my favorite everyday tire.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

You guys running campy wheels with velox tape? I never had a problem mounting masters or corsas to any rim. And yes, theyre my favorite clincher tire by a long shot. I get easily over 2k miles out of a pair and probably one flat every 2 sets I use open paves during the road salt months however.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Hate to sound like an ad for a tire company, but Mondo Pro's are the bomb. You air them up to 130psi...it feels like someone is pushing you down the road after riding tires like Serfas SecaRS. I like the Serfas, but again it feels like someone is behind you pushing you down the road with the Mondos.

No matter what gear I'm in...it feels like either I'm stronger or I have a strong tail wind.

There's always a downside :( They don't last too long. I wish they sold them at a discount for volume. I'd buy a dozen if they would knock off 10%.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

Zoncolan

by Zoncolan

At the risk of turning this into an advert for Continental I will put in another vote for GP4000s. All round training and clincher racing tyre of choice for me.

Mine weighed in last time at 209 and 213 FWIW.

bricky21

by bricky21

743power wrote:You guys running campy wheels with velox tape? I never had a problem mounting masters or corsas to any rim. And yes, theyre my favorite clincher tire by a long shot. I get easily over 2k miles out of a pair and probably one flat every 2 sets I use open paves during the road salt months however.

Velox/Kinlin's...

jasjas

by jasjas

Conti 4000S and Veloflex Pave, been using both for sevaral years with no issues at all.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Michelin PR3s on the good bike. Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons on the winter bike.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

Conti 4000s for me. May not be the best in any single category but are near the top or above average in all. Generally get close to 3000 miles from the rear. I weigh 210 lbs and inflate the rear around 107-108 lbs. I usually get about 2 flats per 3000 miles on the rear and one per 3000 on the front.

I have tried ProRace2 and 3 tires and find while fast the thread cuts like crazy. I seem to get a flat every 300-400 miles and after 1500-2000 miles or so they are so cut up I have to trash them. Maybe if I raced and had a dedicated set of wheels I would use them.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

kac

by kac

I have had very good luck with Schwalbe tires, especially with the DD in terms of durability and longevity. They mount almost effortlessly onto Kinlin rims in contrast to ProRace 3 tires, which I've had bad luck with (numerous flats) and a tough time placing on both Kinlin and Campagnolo rims. Naturally, these are all subjective observations!

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

Can't believe Mondo's aren't anyone else's favorite...
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

superbyke

by superbyke

I've tryed Michelin Litiun and Conti GP 4000s.
For me Conti GP 4000s are the best I've tryed

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

StuTheWeak wrote:Can't believe Mondo's aren't anyone else's favorite...

Most people on this forum have far more riding experience than you at this time, Stu. No offense, but it's reality.
More locations, higher skill level, more miles, more years/decades. This is why Mondo tires are not highly rated by folks who have more experience (not to mention more equipment experience).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Veloflex Corsa's 22 for me too.

I'm back on my training wheels after 2000km's on my carbon tubs.

Amazed at the smooth-ness of these tires.
I had a nasty cut on the last one I used (second ride :x ) but put a Park tire boot. Did 5000 km's on the first pair (swapping them front-rear). Will buy again, no doubt.

Louis :)