Aero vs light wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

wow, topic got moved as I was posting. I just built up a set of Pacenti Sl23 to White Ind hubs with cx rays. When paired with Veloflex corsa 25mm tires and latex tubes they are about as smooth as tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@mvacolnago: nice wheels. Question: Do you find the 25mm clinchers sit higher on those rims than the same tire on a normal width rim? The pacentis are a little wide, correct? What kind of clearance do you have if you run them in your C59 fork. I ask because I'm currently running some 25mm tubulars on Boras and have about a millimeter of clearance in the fork crown area, more in the rear. Used to have a set of HED Belgiums and with a set of Conti 25's they sat quite high and clearance was sometimes an issue.
Thx.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Those wheels and tires have no clearance issues, before I built up this set I was using Nuetron ultras with the same tires.The extra width allows me to lower the tire pressure about 10-15 psi without pinch flats. I also run a set of 25mm veloflex arnbergs on my mad fibers, again with no clearance issues. I do not think any of the veloflex tires come in at the specified width

User Name

by User Name

^ Nice. I'd race on those (or similar) in a second. I'm not rich enough to buy "good" carbon, I prefer the stiffer 'snap' of aluminium rims, and I don't like cutting spoke count too much, coz I'm a 78 to 80kg masher. :D

roadiescum

by roadiescum

Calnago wrote:Sliced bread was way better.

But, since you took the time to post,
1) you will always get different opinions
2) If a topic always gets different opinions, then that means implies there's no real clear answer, and that means you need to look within yourself for what you feel is right. Many people don't. So take all the opinions, including what you get here, and make up your own mind.
3) You live in Florida, flat and lots of wind. How windy, really? And how much do you value how your bike looks. The 40-50mm carbon hoops do look pretty cool on most bikes, but there are bikes where a low profile classic wheel looks just as good, and rides better in my opinion. What bike are these going on?
4) All of the options you mention are fine choices and I doubt you will go wrong with any of them. If I thought you were way off base on any of those choices I'd say so. If you had a lot of big gnarly descents I might suggest rethinking the carbon clincher thing. But it's flat in Florida, so don't worry about it. Have fun deciding.

However, at the end of the day, sliced bread will still be way ahead of aero bicycle wheels in the history of great achievements.

1 and 2. I agree but wanted to get more real world experience rather than from just a few of my friends.
3. Some days are a good 15 knot wind (I am near the coast). I value looks but put more value in performance. They will be going on a Colnago Extreme Power with Campy Daytona.
4. Gee thanks. I have been going back and forth for about 6 months now and cannot seem to commit. I figured this would be the deciding vote.

At least I am on the right track. Thanks.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Here is a quick pick of them on my c59

Phill P

by Phill P

This topic has got a bit crazy at times. There is no one best set of wheels, hence the pros will use aero wheels on flat days, and lower profile on steeper days.

If somebody rides mostly hills - get low profile and a few more spokes

If you ride flatter roads - aim for more aero

If you ride a mix get lighter weight medium profile.

Would be interesting to know what depth rims the custom builders tend to build the most of from say the ENVE range, or what the mix of sales is from ZIPP
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

123GO

by 123GO

Another, although more specific rim question.

Last October I bought a new Colnago EPQ frameset and used parts I already had for the build so it’s a bit hodgepodged - Calnago and others have builds that would put mine to shame but I'm a fatty so having the latest and greatest wouldn't have made me any faster! The build turned out to be greater than the sum of the parts and it's a fantastic bike that I'm very happy with.

Now on to the rim question. Initially I used a set of Fulcrum 5’s that were adequate but nothing special. They were the rims that were on my previous bike and I wanted to use the same: rim/tire/air pressure for comparison. I then put on a set of handbuilts (which I'm currently riding) that are 36 spoke Campy Moskva 80s laced 3x with a 10 speed 12 – 25 cassette on 7900 Dura Ace hubs and DT Spokes. The handbuilts are noticeably better than the Fulcrum 5’s. However, the brake track isn’t that good and the rim has some damage and I’d like to replace them. I want to go to a 11 speed cassette and the 7900 DA’s are spaced for 10.

My current weight is 190 pounds and I’ve been dropping weight (albeit slowly) steadily with the final goal of 175. Based on my riding style and the area I live I’m interested in stiff, light and strong (yes I know this won’t be cheep!) vs. aero. I run Shimano and have heard that Fulcrum will be going to a wider rim bed at some point in 2014. A wide rim Fulcrum 1 or Zero’s would fit the bill but I’m curious if a set of handbuilts would be as stiff and light – I know they would be as strong if not stronger.

Thanks for the input and safe riding.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

"Hand built" comprises all the rims hubs and spokes available individually. That is a lot of options.

I can't tell you if a hand built set would beat it on strength/weight... but you could easily beat it in one or the other... along with price and aero... and blow it away for serviceability and repairability.
formerly rruff...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

123GO,

Pacenti SL23 rims (900g)
CX-Ray spokes (24/28) (235g)
Aluminum nipples (20g)
Tune Hubs (245g)

total 1400g according to Fairwheel Bikes weights listed.

This would be a nice set and should be pretty light for stiff clinchers.

addictR1

by addictR1

I'm don't know about velocity or aero... But it feels that my dura ace clinchers starts slow.. But rolls so easily where I can easily maintain 20-22mph on the flats, while with my 38mm farsport clinchers, feels like I need to put in more efforts to maintain it at that speed. Is it just a mental effect or what?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Which Dura-ace wheels and 38mm farsports wheels do you have? Same tires and pressure for each set?

addictR1

by addictR1

The dura ace wheel set I have is from the previous Specialized Allez Pro. The 38mm is the aero version

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Having read this topic it has got a little lively at times. Today I managed 118.5 miles @ 18.6mph average (solo). I am using an early 90's steel sannino frame - not aero but I do have some 50mm deep carbon wheels on it (it is the raace bike). If I want to go faster I need to continue training and improve the power output I can sustain. Getting a modern aero frame that is stiffer is not going to make a bigger difference than more training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

But an aero frame would make a difference, albeit a small one, irrespective of training. The question is if it's worth the cost and other tradeoffs (i.e. ride, weight), which is up to the individual to answer.