The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

1x lacing should be outlawed. You would be maximising tension changes due to pedalling
Why not go all the way and lace radially both sides. You might as well it that pony.

Easton did or do one of there wheels 1x/0x. Who ever designed that needs education in basic physics.

For the love of wheels lace 2x.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

With the slow migration to disc brakes, thinking of building as-light-as-possible (but without extralite hubs) tubular wheels for climbing, but on a budget.
As far as I understand Farsports 25x23mm tubular rims are the way to go in terms of lightness (Light Bicycle doesn't offer anything lighter than 330gram), everything else jumps straight over into Schmolke category. Would Carbon Ti disc hubs (the only part of this build not under "budget" category :D) allow a solid set of wheels with these Farsports rims? 24/24? Which spokes to use?

I have a set of 1000 gram rim brake Farsports tubs on Bitex hubs 20/24, they have held up just fine in Alps and Dolomites under my 74kgs.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rk0087

by rk0087

Powertap requires both sides to be laced at least 2X for proper reading of the power. For a 32 spoke wheel I would lace both sides 3X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

With rims like that you'll need 28 spokes for s reliable set. Your forgetting how much load disc brakes place on the spokes.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

bm0p700f, you mean rims would be too flexy, thus, disc brakes would put too much load on already stressed spokes, if number of them would be less than 28?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes. You might see deflection in the wheel under hard braking if the spoke count is lower. Even if deflection is avoided braking loads are significant and a low spoke count spoke fatigue will happen at a faster rate than on an equivalent rim brake wheel set. Hense disc brake wheels need to be stiffer than there rim brake counterparts to minimise those tension changes.

Large flange disc brake hubs help here too. Small flange design that DT Swiss and Shimano use will increase the spoke tension changes by 28% compared to the carbon ti hubs or other disc brake hubs with 59mm pcd.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys,

My buddy is looking to build a mid aero (35mm-45mm) tubeless carbon wheelset. He currently owns a pair of DT Swiss 240 hubs and is looking for suggestions for spokes, nipple, and of course, carbon rims. Rims should be at least 19mm internally wide. Any suggestions?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Marin

by Marin

Light Bicycle, Farsports, EIE

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

He should buy deeper rims.

Without knowing something about the rider then how can anyone advise. We don't even know the hub drilling.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Probably a stupid question. Can you mix DT Swiss Aerolites and Sapim CX-Ray in a wheel build? I have 14 Aerolites left over but there's a pretty good deal for individual Sapix CX-Rays right now. I don't want to buy a new box of Aerolites or pay the extra cost for individual spokes. I need 20.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

One side would be one spoke and the other side a different one.

Slammed

by Slammed

Just ordered some eyeleted Kinlin rims and BHS hubs. I'm planning to 24h radial lace the front wheel and go 28h 2x/3x, nds/ds on the rear wheel. I'll post some pictures when I get everything built up. I'm hoping to have a somewhat light set of reliable training wheels by the time I'm finsihed.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Slammed wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 am
Just ordered some eyeleted Kinlin rims and BHS hubs. I'm planning to 24h radial lace the front wheel and go 28h 2x/3x, nds/ds on the rear wheel. I'll post some pictures when I get everything built up. I'm hoping to have a somewhat light set of reliable training wheels by the time I'm finsihed.
why not 2x crosses on the front? More compliant and looks far better due to the lacing pattern :)

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

vanmatthew wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 pm
Probably a stupid question. Can you mix DT Swiss Aerolites and Sapim CX-Ray in a wheel build? I have 14 Aerolites left over but there's a pretty good deal for individual Sapix CX-Rays right now. I don't want to buy a new box of Aerolites or pay the extra cost for individual spokes. I need 20.
of course. Few years ago I've bought online a 2nd hand wheelset, which was with cx rays, though 6 spokes were "changed" to 2mm plain gauge ones. My friend had a dozen dt aerolite in exactly the perfect length, so I replaced the 6 plain gauge with aerolites.

noticed no detrimental effect. In fact, those two spokes can be mixed, without ruining the looks of the wheelset.

Slammed

by Slammed

vejnemojnen wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 pm
Slammed wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 am
why not 2x crosses on the front? More compliant and looks far better due to the lacing pattern :)
I've never built a radial wheel so I just wanted to try something different. These wheels are overbuilt training wheels anyway, so I'm not too concerned with what is "optimal."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com