The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alcatraz

by alcatraz

Cool 👍

By the way the 35c tire didn't fit. I will need to offset the rim and try again. It's rubbing against the left chainstay and it's about 1mm clearance to the brake bridge.

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

1 mm... Occurs to me to ask if that is enough for safe clearance?
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Nope but the tire is brand new. The wheel has 32 massive spokes too so minimal lateral flex. Seems to me too that the pressure is way too high. Drop it and gain a tiny bit of clearance as well.

I redished the wheel and now it's quiet. We had a test ride in the parking lot doing some short sprints etc and it seems good. It looks so awesome and the owner is hungry for a ghetto mod so we're proceeding.

He had to buy an R8000 brake caliper, and we're going to grind down a tiny bit of material to give him ~2mm of clearance.

It's really cool to see a road brake caliper over a 35C tire. In the end we're going to have around 2mm clearance at the chainstays, brake bridge, and brake caliper. If all goes well...

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

Must be me... I would think dropping tension in the spokes would allow the wheel rim to expand and mean larger diameter. But I doubt that is a measurable, significant figure.
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

Takeswood

by Takeswood

I have to choose between 2 hubs for build Venn Var 501, DTswiss 240 EXP and Bitex 312 (These are in stock at my LBS for quick wheel build).

Without any read on this forum, I will go for 240EXP. But with the "240 EXP engagement problem" thread quoted few message before, I have some doubt to choose this. The Bitex 312 have simply maintenance, same bearings and simple free hub system. I search strong hub with long lifetime and the best hub geometry.

What would you do ? :noidea:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it the BX312?

They have decent sized bearings, and flanges that aren't obviously inferior to the dtswiss.

What I have noticed with chinese hubs in general is that they're great for lighter riders that ride in good conditions.

When it gets really filthy or you put a 100kg rider on there, or a bull doing 1000w, then you might notice some shortcomings, (but this can be said for many hubs).

I ride chinese hubs for a long time. I don't have any problem servicing them. If you don't want to service the hubs then dtswiss is maybe more reliable in the long run.

Am I the only one that thinks that dtswiss straightpull hubs have quite poor geometry? Carbon-ti look better.

Takeswood

by Takeswood

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 pm
Is it the BX312?

They have decent sized bearings, and flanges that aren't obviously inferior to the dtswiss.

What I have noticed with chinese hubs in general is that they're great for lighter riders that ride in good conditions.

When it gets really filthy or you put a 100kg rider on there, or a bull doing 1000w, then you might notice some shortcomings, (but this can be said for many hubs).

I ride chinese hubs for a long time. I don't have any problem servicing them. If you don't want to service the hubs then dtswiss is maybe more reliable in the long run.

Am I the only one that thinks that dtswiss straightpull hubs have quite poor geometry? Carbon-ti look better.
Yes, BX312.
I'm 74kg for 180cm.

Carbon-ti is available at my LBS but they are too expensive for me.
Best hub are for my budget it's DT350 I think, but they aren't avaible everywhere... So I have to choose between these two, BX312 and DT240 EXP.

BX312 are chinese hubs, but top of range of chinese hubs na ?
I don't want to say "F**k I should have chosen the DT, these BX312 aren't reliable at all, I'm always on servicing them". Overall, I don't ride in storm and I have pair of alloy wheel with Hope RS4 for bad weather but, you never know ! :roll:

Thank for your reply in any case :thumbup:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wasn't aware DT240 EXP were cheap. How much more is a carbon-ti rear?

Takeswood

by Takeswood

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 am
I wasn't aware DT240 EXP were cheap. How much more is a carbon-ti rear?
No, DT240 EXP isn't cheap, I'm agree ! But it's cheaper than Carbon-TI...

For this build (Venn 507, sapim CX-ray) here are the prices :

- Bitex BX 312 : 1180€
- DT240 EXP : 1390€
- Carbon-TI : 1550€

alcatraz

by alcatraz

24 cx-ray spokes on realatively small diameter flanges of the dt240, does not sound like a performance wheel. It's fine for light riders perhaps. The hub might be endurance but the spokes aren't. So it's a slight mismatch.

What I mean, that's a lot of money and it's not going to compete with big brand wheels except with weight.

To maximize the potential of a spoke you need good geometry. To get a really solid performing wheel with standard hub geometries you either need a few more light spokes or some bigger spokes.

If you aren't going to ride in crap conditions then try Bitex and 24 5gr spokes perhaps. Save some dough.

If you want to splurge on luxury then carbon-ti cx-ray perhaps. Those hubs can make good use of the lighter spokes.

Or if you want an endurance wheel then dtswiss and 5gr spokes (not cx-ray)

Takeswood

by Takeswood

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:39 am
24 cx-ray spokes on realatively small diameter flanges of the dt240, does not sound like a performance wheel. It's fine for light riders perhaps. The hub might be endurance but the spokes aren't. So it's a slight mismatch.

What I mean, that's a lot of money and it's not going to compete with big brand wheels except with weight.

To maximize the potential of a spoke you need good geometry. To get a really solid performing wheel with standard hub geometries you either need a few more light spokes or some bigger spokes.

If you aren't going to ride in crap conditions then try Bitex and 24 5gr spokes perhaps. Save some dough.

If you want to splurge on luxury then carbon-ti cx-ray perhaps. Those hubs can make good use of the lighter spokes.

Or if you want an endurance wheel then dtswiss and 5gr spokes (not cx-ray)
Interesting, I don't know that, thank you for that.
You mean, CX-ray is not the "all-rounder" spokes ? I will must go with Sapim Race for example ? CX-sprint ?

I think I will choose Bitex hubs, quite good geometry, relatively light and save money. I have pair of alloy + Hope RS4 wheel for bad winter weather.

I'm 74kg with 360w @ FTP, mostly a puncher. I want something stiff and durable for my aero wheels.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Yeah, bitex and cx-sprint should make a better performing wheelset than dtswiss and cx-ray. Not a bad choice for a low 24 spoke count and average geometry.

jever98

by jever98

@takeswood - if available, check out the newmen road hubs. They are also a bit cheaper than carbon ti and look nice in terms of geometry and bearing size
----
No longer in the industry

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Forgot to mention that hubs can last a lifetime. After rims and spokes break/wear out or look terrible, the hubs can go to the next wheelset. That way the investment isn't that huge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

I wouldn't bother with the EXP hubs. Maybe find a pre-EXP unit. I stop by the bike shop once every couple of weeks and every time I see a new EXP hub going out for warranty. Shop owner says they messed up the design.