The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm
my carbon rimmed wheels are the most comforbale of the lot comapred to all the other sets I have. so generalisations are the problem winter rider. some carbon rims can give a harsh ride, other wont it all in the layup.
Might well be the case .. but a subjective opine. Like to see some techie do hard data ... mount some gadget on the frame and actually MEASURE the road input into the bike unit. Wide vs narrow .. tube-ass vs tubular .. et al. Hard Data.. not opines.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

F45

by F45

WinterRider wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm
Why do you always try to reinvent the wheel.
Why not.. what does it matter anyway? Does amaze me at times how the many jump to some simple conclusion W/O thinking.
You are referring to yourself, correct?
Consider .. the air volume added to the ride.. is that not what the "wide" rim is about? The whole of the cavity of the rim is air ... would that not improve ride Q?
No, air volume is not what a wide rim is about. The component you're referring to is increased tire width which allows lower pressure at the same casing tension. That improves ride quality...to a point.

PV=nRT. You are looking at very small changes in V relative to the overall V, so very small changes in pressure that are negligible, and that assumes an inelastic tire, which they are not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

WinterRider wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:52 pm
Take your tubeless in 25, 28 and 32mm width's.. inflate to SAME psi.. which one rides the softest.. 32 hands down.
lol!

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, the bigger volume tire at same psi is a much harsher ride. :-)

Marin

by Marin

romanmoser wrote: interested in ordering rims also without spokes holes
So can you elaborate ?
Running Turbo Cotton with Vredestein latex tubes.

I just don't see the benefit, I now build the wheels myself and I don't want to mess around with magnets etc. Plus, the drilled rim with tape is probably still lighter :)

WinterRider

by WinterRider

F45 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 pm
WinterRider wrote:
Take your tubeless in 25, 28 and 32mm width's.. inflate to SAME psi.. which one rides the softest.. 32 hands down.
lol!

Fools... always are laughing.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Marin

by Marin

He's right though, wider tires are harder at the same pressure.

A big part of the "wide tires are faster" myth comes from this fact; inflated to the same level of compliance the difference is much smaller.

F45

by F45

WinterRider wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:08 pm
F45 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 pm
WinterRider wrote:
lol!
Fools... always are laughing.
Life is a comedy to those who think. :smartass:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

if the road is rough enough lower pressure are faster though.

pushstart

by pushstart

bm0p700f wrote:if the road is rough enough lower pressure are faster though.
Yeah, I used to also dismiss the wider-is-faster tests since it was (often?) done at same psi. But I think enough tests have shown now that even what we think are relatively smooth roads are faster on softer tires. And that on high-quality (supple) tires the difference in rolling resistance with a comfortable pressure -- even on steel drums -- is quite small.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

WinterRider wrote:
pushstart wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm
Yeah, I tried to convert a single-walled rim to tubeless with Stans tape and it did not work at all. Maybe if you start with a thicker tape ... and many layers. This doesn't sound nice.

I still don't understand the value that the extra air volume is providing inside the rim, though. Can you explain how that helps here? Maybe I'm being thick.
Hey .. 'thick' works. :smartass:

Take your tubeless in 25, 28 and 32mm width's.. inflate to SAME psi.. which one rides the softest.. 32 hands down. I have done this... the 32 even rolls as well all in SAME model tire. So I want to run 25's... give me more air volume.. go SW and put that space to work as the shock absorber.

One of the posters back when made some salient points wider vs narrow rims... think the gist of it was 'not always the advantage wider'. I say .. where is the black and white data? Easy to mount a device to measure feedback into the bike for the tech savvy.. don't see that done. IMO wide rims .. plastic rims .. heavier and just another route to shake the coins free.
Wait so you're telling me that a 32mm tyre will feel softer at 100 psi than a 23mm one.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

F45

by F45

I think he is saying that I need to inflate my 2.35 Ikons to 100 psi to get that smooth ride over my 23mm Vittoria Corsas.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Leave him be, give him a break. :thumbup: He doesn't believe anything anyone says but rather tries it all himself; the saying 're-inventing the wheel' applies most of the time. :roll:
Less is more.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Going to build a pair of superlight tubular climbing wheels for disc brakes. The choice is between a 23 mm wide rim at 250 g and a 25 mm at 280 g, both with a depth of 25 mm. How does rim width affect tubular tires? Will there be any real world differences at all, considering we're talking disc brake wheels which will only be used with 24-28 mm road tires?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Depending on tyre size the wider rim will offer better support

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk