The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ninjabrewer

by ninjabrewer

Just want to get a yea or nay on the following build. HED Belgium Tubular rims, Sapim Race spokes, 28 2x front and rear, Miche Primato Syntesi hubs. I am 160lbs/72 kilos. I have the Miche hubs on my current clinchers (DT RR440) and I am happy with them. Not looking to build a set that will break the bank, just one to get back to tub's and for a new bike build that will be in my future.

TIA,

NB

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

go 24 front and then the build is perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

aye or nay?....

HUNT Aero Light Disc | Road Wheelset | 1498g | 28Deep 22Wide | £399

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide

i,m after a reasonably light tubeless ready disc wheelset (that won't break the bank) for a gravel bike (Whyte) that I will be buying in a week's time (I want tubeless tyres and the wheelset must be reasonably light ...

I weigh 75 Kg and ride lots of miles per week, and will use these for my daily commuter aswell as some Audax rides up to 300 Km (I have another bike for longer audax rides)

for the price, these are what appeal to me from what I have googled so far... any other suggestions?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

difficult to know what the rims are like as I never seen them. They are probably alright my quick sums Hunts rim must be around 475g which is not bad. The hub though is what make them light. They pair weight 310g and are the D411/412 SB-CL. Here is a link to the carbon body version of the rear hub. The bearings are that odd size where replacements tend to be cheaper NBK. you may be able to get the EZO replacements from Hunt but that bearing size is not big and bearing life maybe an issue for some. The F482SB-SL used that bearing in the DS rear and it never lasted even in EZO form so on that basis I would say buy with your eyes open.
http://nguide.eu/hubs/d412cb-11s

Personally I would use the Bitex B106F/106R hubs (6 pawl) or miche hubs but both are not as light as the Novatec hub Hunt use. The miche hub has 5 bearing in the rear so it does depend on how much wet shit you are planning on riding through. Hunt keep the cost down by using pillar 1422 spokes. probably nothing wrong with these and they cost around £1 each and easily available.

Marin

by Marin

dim wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm
aye or nay?....

HUNT Aero Light Disc | Road Wheelset | 1498g | 28Deep 22Wide | £399
I just bought a set of HUNT 4Season Aero that came in nearly 100g over the quoted weight. A friend recently bought a disc set that was 1744g instead of the quoted 1629g. Build quality seems ok. Support says all their sets weigh as much as mine, but last time I checked they didn't fix the quoted weight on their web page.

Their rim brake wheels use Hubsmith hubs btw.

I'd recommend to ask a reputable wheel builder for a quote, for your budget you should be able to get wheels that actually meet the weight target.
Last edited by Marin on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dim

by dim

thanks Malcomn and Marin ....

I think that I will research some rims and have wheels built instead of getting the Hunt wheelset.

I may even get the HED Belgium Plus disc rims (if I can find them when I'm ready to buy) .... not the lightest, but I'm very happy with these on my Giant TCR .... I will also get a good rear hub and a Son 28 Dynamo front hub aswell
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The hed rims are easy to get. I dont keep stock no point as I call HED and they send me some from there stock.

any pics of the koga?

Interesting about the weights of the hunt wheels. Kind of makes sense.

Marin

by Marin

Malcolm, could you get Belgiums in 650b rim brake too?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

yes I checked with HED a couple of weeks ago and they are available. Even better the XR31T is available as 650B. guess what is going on my next kinlin order.

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm
The hed rims are easy to get. I dont keep stock no point as I call HED and they send me some from there stock.

any pics of the koga?

Interesting about the weights of the hunt wheels. Kind of makes sense.
thanks Malcolm ... I will be in touch in a few weeks time as regards the HED Belgium Plus rims :thumbup:

here's the Koga Miyata Full Pro:

and here's my new bike for commuting and some Audax rides .... the Whyte Suffolk on which I will use the HED Belgium Plus rims and tubeless tyres ... (I have paid a deposit and will pay the balance in a couple of weeks):

Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (third party website link removed.)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Nixster

by Nixster

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 pm
All straight pull hubs have fractional crossing for 1x 2x or 3x lacing for calculation purposes. Spocalc allows fractional crossing. As the guy who imports carbon Ti into the u.k I kind of need to know how to works out spoke lengths for builds with them.

So give me your measured ERD and I can let you know the spoke length you need.
Thanks for the offer! I measured ERD at 588/9mm compared to FS stated 585mm.

I wasn't questioning that you would know, more asking how I can get to know the fractional crossing values for a straight pull hub in general. Is there somewhere I can read up on this? Just curious or possibly geeky, or blame my engineering background :wink:

P.S. They seem like good hubs and at 222g the pair the weight is very impressive.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Question for those much smarter than I, what's the shallowest wide (25mm) rim out there? I'd love build on Ambrosio Nemisis/Excellence looking rims in 28/28 or 32/32 but with a more modern width.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

H plus Son TB14

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thank you, completely forgot about those :D

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you have to work out the spoke lengths for a straight pull hub by trail and error for a couple of rims of different ERD then back calculate to find the fractional crossing then test build with other rims to know if you have got it right. very expensive and time consuming. I do it because I use these hubs no other reason. I wont do fo a straight pull hub posted to me to build with. the time and cost in spokes used is so great no one would be willing to pay and I would not be willing to waste my time doing it for so little gain i.e a one off.

If a straight pull hub is sold it must come with spoke length charts or similar. if not dont buy it as your in a for a world of ballache.

i'll try to remember to look at this thread tomorrow in shop and post spoke lengths for you. For reference a 545mm ERD rim requires 266mm spokes DS rear.

Carbon ti hubs are expensive but I cant find a single fault with them.