The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Only the dt swiss calculator works for straight pill but you must no the spoke hole to centreline of hub offset. It's hard/impossible to measure accurately.

loheiman

by loheiman

Looking for suggestions on rims and spokes.

Will use them for everyday commuting, some road rides and some longer/smoother gravel rides. Will pair it with 35mm gravel king slicks but want to be able to go up to 43mm, unlikely to go lower than 35mm. Tubeless of course. I'm 175lbs but plan to put a rear child seat when my daughter is large enough, so maybe an extra 50lbs for her + seat. Don't think aero is important for my usage but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Considering the DT Swiss R470db or Hydra rims. I think something ~21mm inner width.

As for spokes, I've heard good things about DT competition but am open to suggestions. Don't think I want to spend a lot on aero ones. Not sure on spoke count and im not a true weight weanie. Was thinking 28 front and rear? Not sure if rear should have more spokes with disc brakes and/or rear child seat in the future.

As for budget, hoping to keep everything under $500. PS have suggestestions for where to get the hubs at a good price?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DarkerxHalf

by DarkerxHalf

loheiman wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:44 am
Looking for suggestions on rims and spokes.

Will use them for everyday commuting, some road rides and some longer/smoother gravel rides. Will pair it with 35mm gravel king slicks but want to be able to go up to 43mm, unlikely to go lower than 35mm. Tubeless of course. I'm 175lbs but plan to put a rear child seat when my daughter is large enough, so maybe an extra 50lbs for her + seat. Don't think aero is important for my usage but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Considering the DT Swiss R470db or Hydra rims. I think something ~21mm inner width.

As for spokes, I've heard good things about DT competition but am open to suggestions. Don't think I want to spend a lot on aero ones. Not sure on spoke count and im not a true weight weanie. Was thinking 28 front and rear? Not sure if rear should have more spokes with disc brakes and/or rear child seat in the future.

As for budget, hoping to keep everything under $500. PS have suggestestions for where to get the hubs at a good price?

Thanks!
Good questions,
To start with the DT Comp's are a excellent spoke for reliability and cost effectiveness, definitely not the lightest but the majority of wheels i build use DT Comps.

As for rims, if you want to save some weight maybe consider the Stans Crest MK3, keep in mind stans rims do run a low maximum spoke tension but the Crest has a nice wide internal that would work nicely with the size ranging you've posted with a 23mm internal.

28 front and rear is absolutely fine for disc although if you're adding the weight of a baby/baby seat i would advise a 32 on the rear for reliability sake as your adding roughly 20kg directly over that wheel.

3 cross lacing pattern also sugested if i were building the wheels.
2002 Moots Vamoots
2018 Cannondale CAAD12 Custom (RIP)
2018 Cannondale Supersix Hi Mod (SOLD)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If your going to run the gravel kings tubelss then dont use the DT or hydra rims. I have never managed to get tubeless tyre to lock securely in place on these rims such that when deflated I cant be sure the tyre remains seated. Its the rims design

The Kinlin XR22T or the wider TL23 is a very good rim.
I would also suggest 32 spoke with triple butted spokes if your carrying a baby on the back.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loheiman

by loheiman

I've been running 650 x 47 gravel kings tubeless on DT Swiss R500 rims without any issues so far...

redbicycle

by redbicycle

bm0p700f wrote: The Kinlin XR22T or the wider TL23 is a very good rim.
I would also suggest 32 spoke with triple butted spokes if your carrying a baby on the back.
The XR22 hasn't been released in a disc rim version yet? I didn't see any but for the value of the XR22T it may be worth using and ignoring the brake strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benzebub

by benzebub

Need some advice on a set I’m having build:

Dt 521 or pacenti Forza? (28mm tire, discs)

Dt 350 or hope rs4?

What do you guys think?
But I could be wrong

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The xr22t is in disc brake form. It's called the xr22rts or the xr22rts.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not a fan of either.

Kinlin xr26t is a cheaper better made pacenti forza. The dt r521 has the same problem with tubeless tyres as all modern dt swiss rims.

As for hope rs4 or dt swiss 350, I think your splitting hairs. I use my own hubs because they cost me less to buy for an equivalent specification but you can pick either and be happy.

kervelo

by kervelo

I was too busy and decided to get my new mtb wheels ready built instead of building them by myself. The wheels (Dt swiss 350 disc straight pull & xr 361 & competition) arrived yesterday.

The rear wheel is straight and round, but built with very uneven spoke tensions. I will need to fix the wheel before I can use it.

The front wheel is straight and round and also the spoke tensions are even on both sides. However, the tension is much too high: according to my park tool tension meter the left side is 25, the right side is 24. With the Dt competition spokes that translates to the tension of 166 and 147 kgs correspondingly. The max tension for the rim is 1200 Nm.

I suppose the right thing to do would be to decrease the tension of the front wheel spokes?

I am not planning to return the wheels, as the builder is in Hamburg, Germany. I knew the risk when I decided to use a non-local (cheap) wheel builder instead of a local one, so I was mentally ready to fine tune the wheels when they arrive.

DarkerxHalf

by DarkerxHalf

welchy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am
Has anybody got any thoughts on Mavic Open Pro UST Disc Wheels?

Thinking of lacing them to some Tune King Kong hubs which I already have.

At 430g per rim - 860g total
Tune Hubs 331g - 24H
48 Sapim X-Ray Spokes 211.5g
Nipples (guessing 1g each) 48g

Total 1450.5g

Anything I'm missing?

Also any thoughts on spokes for this kinda of setup, baring in mind I am 90KG!
I built that exact wheelset for myself a year or so ago albeit rim brake with DT Swiss Spokes instead and it weighed in at 1400gr on the dot.
I've also built several sets of wheels with those rims and they build really well every time although i would recomend nipple washers on them as i found the nipple and eyelet start to bind a little at tension, although Tune runs a max tension of 110kgf on most hubs so that may not be an issue for this particular build.
2002 Moots Vamoots
2018 Cannondale CAAD12 Custom (RIP)
2018 Cannondale Supersix Hi Mod (SOLD)

85L

by 85L

Regarding for R45 chris king's hub but can't justify the price. My wheelbuilder suggest Hope RS4 instead with an alloy upgdaded bodyhub.

Does it sounds good to you ?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kervelo unless your park ts1 is calibrated with a known load dont take it numbers as the truth. All it can do is relative tension well and even then with some error.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

:beerchug: Also tension variations can show up with tension gauges. Does the reading change depending on where the gauge is placed. This happen with spokes that have been highly stressed. When grasping pairs of spokes I can put "bends in them that affect the reading of my spoke tension gauges. That's does jot mean the spoke is damaged. Spoke life seems unaffected but checking the wheel builders work can worry you when there nothing wrong. If you are going to check the wheels use good tools or you are not informing yourself well.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

85L my own hubs are lighter than hope or chrisking as reliable as both and a bit cheaper than hope.

Yes your wheelbuilder is right to suggest hope but there are other hub too. dt swiss 350 are pretty good disc brake hubs too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com