The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
berest

by berest

Yupp, thanks. I think 256 should be totally fine, since Accurate 257.7mm -1mm(According to DT Swiss for using 14mm nipple) = Accurate 256.7mm. So 256.7 is way closer to 256 than to 258.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

So i've decided to not build a marginally different road wheelset but to go for a new gravel wheelset instead :)
When working out spoke lengths i got the advice to round down If possible to account for a little stretch that occurs when using thinner spokes (I'll be using pillar 1420 spokes 28+28). So 279.9mm suggested by the calculator, do I round down to 278? Or will that be too much?

The other lengths from the calculator are 281.6, 280.6 and 281.8 where I intend to go for 280mm. (so rounding down 281.8 to 280mm is similar to the question above).

So 280mm for all, or 278+280 combo is the question 😅

@@@

Correction on my own observations: I've gone and tried 5 more spoke length calculators and they all give different results (small margins), it seems more logical to stick with 280+282 mm spoke lengths. This is advised by musson (whose book I use) and 2mm stretch is a bit more than steelshould do. Going by the pillar spoke info sheeth ~1mm can be expected at 100kgf.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

DieselCondor wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:28 am
Hello WW, I am looking for some rim choice advice on my upcoming new wheel build. I am a strong 98kg rider and I look after my kit. My spec so far:

32h Campagnolo record hubs (black ones)
Sapim Race in the rear
Sapim laser in the front
Alloy polyax nipples.

I am stuck over rim choice. I would like a sprightly wheelset and think a shallow rim would look best. I usually run clinchers and latex tubes although I am considering (maybe) tubeless in the future.

I am considering Kinlin XR22RT/T, mavic open pro ust 21 and as an out there choice- mavic open pro tubular. What do you think?
Also do you think black spokes and nipples or silver spokes and nipples?

Hopefully below is a pcture of my bike with its current archetype/hope build.

Regards, Den.

IMG_3217.jpeg
Hi, just an update on my previous post. I decided to go for the kinlin XR22T/RT rims with black spokes race/laser and niples. However I have been dissapointed with the quality of the Kinlin rims- not sure if I had a duff pair.
The rim joints were really noticeable and I prepped these with wet and dry. I built the pair up and its almost like the joints have moved slightly again causing a thwacking noise when braking. I have had to dress again with wet and dry. Looks a bit pony.

I cant help but think I should of went with an alternative rim with a welded joint as to be honest these rims look cheap. I am thinking of rebuilding onto DT Swiss RR 411 rims with silver spokes this time as they can come in asymetric offset rear too.

Do you guys have any further suggestions?

Please see photos attached after todays Wintry cotswold ride. Excuse the weathered GP5KTL tyre, I am waiting to get my hands on the new GP 5K S TR.
IMG_3416.jpeg
IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3417.jpeg

robertbb

by robertbb

I'll get pasted for saying this, but Kinlin rims are rubbish.

The DT 411 rim you mentioned (or even their cheaper R460), will be much much nicer. You have some lovely hubs there in Campy Record, they (as with the rest of your build) deserves far nicer rims!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

DieselCondor wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm
DieselCondor wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:28 am
Hello WW, I am looking for some rim choice advice on my upcoming new wheel build. I am a strong 98kg rider and I look after my kit. My spec so far:

32h Campagnolo record hubs (black ones)
Sapim Race in the rear
Sapim laser in the front
Alloy polyax nipples.

I am stuck over rim choice. I would like a sprightly wheelset and think a shallow rim would look best. I usually run clinchers and latex tubes although I am considering (maybe) tubeless in the future.

I am considering Kinlin XR22RT/T, mavic open pro ust 21 and as an out there choice- mavic open pro tubular. What do you think?
Also do you think black spokes and nipples or silver spokes and nipples?

Hopefully below is a pcture of my bike with its current archetype/hope build.

Regards, Den.

IMG_3217.jpeg
Hi, just an update on my previous post. I decided to go for the kinlin XR22T/RT rims with black spokes race/laser and niples. However I have been dissapointed with the quality of the Kinlin rims- not sure if I had a duff pair.
The rim joints were really noticeable and I prepped these with wet and dry. I built the pair up and its almost like the joints have moved slightly again causing a thwacking noise when braking. I have had to dress again with wet and dry. Looks a bit pony.

I cant help but think I should of went with an alternative rim with a welded joint as to be honest these rims look cheap. I am thinking of rebuilding onto DT Swiss RR 411 rims with silver spokes this time as they can come in asymetric offset rear too.

Do you guys have any further suggestions?

Please see photos attached after todays Wintry cotswold ride. Excuse the weathered GP5KTL tyre, I am waiting to get my hands on the new GP 5K S TR.

IMG_3416.jpegIMG_3418.jpegIMG_3417.jpeg

Not a fan of kinlin, only rims I had that I think were theirs (rebadged as IRD) were shockers out of the box. More shapes than you could shake a stick at.

Hunt use their rims apparently, and I've never been impressed with them.

I'd say if you get max life out of them with no trouble, you've done well, but I wouldn't rebuild using them in future.
Official cafe stop tester

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I miss @legs11

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

robertbb wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:50 pm

The DT 411 rim you mentioned (or even their cheaper R460), will be much much nicer. You have some lovely hubs there in Campy Record, they (as with the rest of your build) deserves far nicer rims!
Took the plunge this weekend. Wheels rebuilt with RR411 rims. Much much better quality, perfectly round, built up super easy, used the squorx nipples and phr washers. Now to tape up, shod and ride! Oh also front rim was 415 grams, rear rim 448. Built set weighed in at 1585 grams.
ECF91A5F-E5E2-4AC3-B593-EE1B76275828.jpeg

robertbb

by robertbb

DieselCondor wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 pm
robertbb wrote:

Took the plunge this weekend. Wheels rebuilt with RR411 rims. Much much better quality, perfectly round, built up super easy, used the squorx nipples and phr washers. Now to tape up, shod and ride! Oh also front rim was 415 grams, rear rim 448. Built set weighed in at 1585 grams. ECF91A5F-E5E2-4AC3-B593-EE1B76275828.jpeg
Very nice. Huge (and surprising) discrepancy in rim weight though! Was the rear offset?

(would love to know how a Corsa Control 28mm inflates on the C18 rim.... if you're that way inclined :lol: )

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

robertbb wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 pm
DieselCondor wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 pm
robertbb wrote:

Took the plunge this weekend. Wheels rebuilt with RR411 rims. Much much better quality, perfectly round, built up super easy, used the squorx nipples and phr washers. Now to tape up, shod and ride! Oh also front rim was 415 grams, rear rim 448. Built set weighed in at 1585 grams. ECF91A5F-E5E2-4AC3-B593-EE1B76275828.jpeg
Very nice. Huge (and surprising) discrepancy in rim weight though! Was the rear offset?

(would love to know how a Corsa Control 28mm inflates on the C18 rim.... if you're that way inclined :lol: )
Yeah the rear is offset so I don't mind it being a bit heavier as on inspection the extra material is in the right places. Both rims have wear indicators on the tracks too.

My pro mechanic mate popped by when I was building these and he thinks these rims have been subtlety updated over the last few years to improve them.

2x wraps of tape, 28mm GP5ks TL (pre used) went on by hand and inflated with a track pump.
Measure 29.7mm.

@robertbb I had corsa 28mm on my archetypes (about18c) previously and they measured up at 29.8mm.

robertbb

by robertbb

Thanks for the info on the RR411 - they sound great :)

Interesting RE: corsa size on the archetypes. Those are 17.5mm internal. On my Zonda C17's the Corsa 28's I mounted a few days ago are measuring up at 27.5mm. I wonder if they'll stretch? I havn't ridden them yet as I'm waiting on an incoming cassette for that bike.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Yes they will definetly stretch and break in, getting faster over 100km. Corsa is my favourite all rounder for ride, grip and sidewall protection but can't match the speed of the GP5Ks. The Corsa TLR especially frustrates me, I hope they update it soon to compete.

Gravel89

by Gravel89

Hi everyone, for the next wheelbuild (gravel) I am looking for a reliable hub, these are the candidates:
- dt Swiss 240exp (250€)
- dt Swiss 350 (145€)
- Hope rs4 (225€)

Is hope still worth the money or better take the dt Swiss 350? I have no experience with the 240exp, should I wait for the new model? Unfortunately in EU the hope products hasve become really expensive after Brexit...

Marin

by Marin

I have a set of 240s for gravel and they're too loud. Not an issue on the road, but annoying in the woods. Grease them more and the freehub will disengage. I went back to Novatec.

I also have a set of Hope Pro 2, and while they're loud, they're not as as bad as the 240s

Gravel89

by Gravel89

Marin wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:27 pm
I have a set of 240s for gravel and they're too loud. Not an issue on the road, but annoying in the woods. Grease them more and the freehub will disengage. I went back to Novatec.

I also have a set of Hope Pro 2, and while they're loud, they're not as as bad as the 240s
Are the new 240exp? I was looking for something not really noisy

Marin

by Marin

Gravel89 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:58 pm
Are the new 240exp? I was looking for something not really noisy
Yes the new ones. Loudest hubs around :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com