The wheelbuilding thread

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
shimmeD

by shimmeD

BHS has discontinued TB25 so not on their site anymore.
It's 592
Less is more.

LouisN

by LouisN

Nah, unmounted my wheels today. Measured ERD is 588-589.
It's a spoke cutting and threading day ... :)

Louis :)

ddsg

by ddsg

Can someone help me with spoke length? I'm trying to build up a set of Flo 45 rims with Bitex RAF10/RAR9 (20/24). ERD is 548.4mm. Radial front and 2 cross rear.

I've tried plugging the numbers into different calculators online and I get differing numbers from all of them...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Always use spokecalc. Download the spreadsheet from Sheldon brow bar site. It never lies unless you put the wrong lengths in.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

https://leonard.io/edd/

Same math algorithms as calc.. more user friendly.. can input variations on the cross..nice for figure more complex lacings.

LouisN

by LouisN

HI again all builders ,
Question (sorry if it's been covered before): What ERD number do I use for Shimano internal nipples on a Shimano C75 tubular build ?
Do I have to add a few mm's to the ERD, since the spokes have to enter the rim more than a standard nipple ? By how many mm's ? ...
I use Spokalc spreadsheet.

duvla

by duvla

Hi folks, I would appreciate some help from you!

I got a set of Ritchey WCS Road Rim brake Hubs, new 'phantom flange' version, 20/24 holes. Lacing pattern, front radial, back radial/2 cross.
The set weighs only 68+218g, and I thought that I could make a same/similar wheelset to the Zeta II wheels this hub is actually made for.

Unfortunately there is no way that I can buy Zeta II rims (both asymmetrical), the nearest cousin seems to be DT rr411 / rr411 asymmetric.

My actual question is - Ritchey uses 44 DT Swiss New Aero spokes, the heaviest aero spoke they make for both Zeta II and much pricier Apex wheels, and probably with a good reason.
I have found those on special order for some 3 euro/piece, but I would rather pay a little less if that is possible.
Alternatives are:

- CN Aero494 as a direct substitute for New Aero only much cheaper and probably of much lesser quality

- DT Aero Comp as a middle road version, still very sturdy but lighter and much cheaper (around 1.59 euro/pice)

- Sapim CX-Ray - going down the lightweight route, but I am not sure if that isn't a dumb move, I weigh 85kg and the roads where I live are quite bad, I am not sure that ~1400g wheelset is a good choice for me.

If the price and weight of DT New Aero spokes would prove worthy in the long run, and make the wheels stay true and sound for a while I don't mind parting with the money, I just don't know if there is any real advantage vs Aero Comp spokes which should (in my humble opinion) do the same job.

Bike is a 2015 Canyon Ultimate CF, some 6.9kg with current Ksyrium Elite S set, not used for racing, I am too old for that now :)

What do you folks think? Thanks in advance!!!

Zeta.JPG
WCS.jpg

Marin

by Marin

CN494 are great, I use them on the rear DS on a few wheels.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I have DT swiss rc55spline wheels and it looks like the braketracks are wearing out. Can I buy new rims of DT Swiss without spokes and without hubs?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

DT rims are not available after market.

Louis the answer is always measure erd with the internal nipples.

For a 24 spoke rear you need a stiff rim at your weight. If it were me I would be using the kinlin xr31t and CX rays or the stiffer aero comps if you want a stiffer wheel. A shallower rim can be used if thicker spokes are used but the first option is better.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am
DT rims are not available after market.
Which carbon rims do you recomand. I can spoke the myself with the spokes and hubs of my DT swiss that I now have?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You need. Rim with matching erd to reuse spokes and will dictate the rim. That will require Google and trust to get the right one.

pashax

by pashax

Did anyone ever use Ambrosio P20 rims ? Are they any good ?
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

i build with them and I like them. tyre fitting is a tight so best used with tubeless tyres. nice and round, flat wide internally and they stiff enough for low spoke counts.

LouisN

by LouisN

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am
Louis the answer is always measure erd with the internal nipples.
I ended up using the Extralite website suggested method.
https://www.extralite.com/Products/meas ... %20SED.htm
Came just spot on.