The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This is where I got my info from about the drillings of velocity Escape.
http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also the velocity distibutor in the UK oonly brings in 24H and 28H rims.

This is incorrect so velocity need to update there site as it in there store. Silly Velocity.
http://store.velocityusa.com/products/p ... .0?pp=12&#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the Reflex is 32H radial spoking would not be a good idea. Which is better depends on weather you like more or less spokes. The reflex wheel with more spokes should be more durable. The aerodynamic advanatge is small for the lower spoke counts so only makes sence if the wheels are for race only. For training wheels for any weight I always prefer more rather than less spokes as it moire durable.

The gluing area is not something I though about. I don't have either rim in fornt of me to compare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

olebole

by olebole

There must be someone here with a similar build:
Kinlin TB-25 rims (24/28) BHS Hubs (SLF78W/SL218)

Is 2x and Sapim Lasers all the way around a good choice?

I weigh around 70-75kgs and will be using the wheels mostly for cyclocross (with mini-v's, so no room for wobbly rims!)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It does depend how you ride and how much power/torque you can put out. It's a 25mm deep profile. My current wheels are RR415 28H 2x lasers on Miche hubs with almost the same flange spacings as the BHS hubs. My wheel do flex a bit when I out of the saddle trying hard. You have a heavier rim with a deeper profile which will increase it stiffness. Using races spoke DS will increase the stiff further.

Use race spoke DS and I am sure you will be fine.

kavitator

by kavitator

Just for info - kiniln xr 200 is probybly less stiff as tubular TB-25

laced on Bitex hubs
rear 28 : NDS radial Sapim Laser; DS 2x Sapim Race
front 24 radial sapim Laser

in outsaddle uphill fullpower no flex with 86kg rider!

But spokes has very high tension on rear DS -

with ParkTool tensiometer and their NEW chart it is 140-150kg (after checking spoke tension was 23-25 on TS1 scale)

problem with heavier riders and low weight rims(aluminium).
Rider has 86kg, goes down on descent gradient more than 20%! breaking hard on rear and blew tire becouse rim was so hot!
That is extreme scenario. Now rim is little damaged becouse of touch asphalt hard way

olebole

by olebole

I guess I'm more of a "out of the saddle" type of rider... I have no PM but I'm more into sprinting than climbing thats for sure.
Sapim Race DS sounds good! Any comments regarding the lacing?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For 24/28H rims and hubs always 2x in my shop. I really just can't bring my self to build a radial front wheel, it offers no pratical advantges over 2x. I also prefer the look of 2x or 3x wheels.

I would like a PM too as I am curious. I think I will have go get something the next time I change my cranks. Actually I like the look of the pedal power meters that look do. Would only need to change my pedals. Idle musing this the wheel thread...

boombaux

by boombaux

i've never built up a wheel at all before, so i figured this would be a good place to come. i plan to pick up the park tool pro truing stand within the next few months. anyone have experience with it?
i'm not sure what i'd like for components but i'm thinking $800ish for the set and 24f 28r. is this enough to work with to make something decent? some recommendations for hubs/spokes/rims would be awesome :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have the Park TS2.2 in the shop and it is fantastic tool.

For rim/hub spoke recomendation we need to know alot more like your weight, riding style,. Do you want an aero wheel or is that not so important to you. racing or training wheels.

A wheel is not just a wheel. A good wheel is one that meets your needs a crap one is one that does not.

kavitator

by kavitator

you have a wheel and you have a WHEEL 8)

i am also happy with parkTool Ts2.2

NONAME
Shop Owner

by NONAME

kavitator wrote:Just for info - kiniln xr 200 is probybly less stiff as tubular TB-25

laced on Bitex hubs
rear 28 : NDS radial Sapim Laser; DS 2x Sapim Race
front 24 radial sapim Laser

in outsaddle uphill fullpower no flex with 86kg rider!

But spokes has very high tension on rear DS -

with ParkTool tensiometer and their NEW chart it is 140-150kg (after checking spoke tension was 23-25 on TS1 scale)

problem with heavier riders and low weight rims(aluminium).
Rider has 86kg, goes down on descent gradient more than 20%! breaking hard on rear and blew tire becouse rim was so hot!
That is extreme scenario. Now rim is little damaged becouse of touch asphalt hard way

Thanks.

I increase lately rear wheel with xr-200 to 120 kgf and i think that is max safe spoke tension , spokes Sapim D-light,

I have a rear wheel with Kinlin xr-300 24h, mac 424, max spoke tension 120 kgf, riders 90+ and wheel use everyday and look good, with front xr-19W 20h, hubs Novatec.

Image Image Image

boombaux
KinLin xr 300, spokes Sapim Cx ray or Mac 424, alu nipples, hubs as you wish , wheels light ( about 1500 g ) and strong for a training, everyday use , race ........, for a light riders XR 200 for a race

olebole
that is good choice, but Sapim Laser is not good idea, i think Sapim Race or Sapim D-light for cyclocross

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If your're not too heavy Lasers do work off road but you really need a hub with wide flange spacings to increase stiffness.

The novatec A291/F482 hubs particular the rear F482 has wider flange spacings than the BHS hub and will result in a stiffer wheel. It is the rear that is more likely to give you problem not the front. Heavier guage spokes though never hurts.

solarider

by solarider

Hi

I am just about to build a couple of sets of wheels based around DT 190 hubs.

I was hoping to use Ambrosio Nemesis rims but have been advised by a reputable wheel builder that the rear flanges are too narrow to use with these rims.

Anybody else use this combination, have any issues with the strength of DT hubs or have anything to add?

Thanks all!

jaketim114

by jaketim114

Any thoughts on the 19mm vs 23mm wide aluminum tubular rims? Does it work the same way wider clincher rims claim?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The tubs shape is determined by the tub not the rim. A wider tubular rim just gioves a wider gluing surface. Useful for cyclocross I think. A wider tub rim means a more aero profile (slightly) when a wider 25mm tub is used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

The flange spacing is not that bad. You could build a good wheel with those hubs and rims, but geez 190's seem like a serious waste of money imo.