The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
F45

by F45

I built some DT xc rims and left the washers out. Let's see if I can explode them.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

someone would know how much the standard aero spokes on my vision tc24 wheelset would weigh? want to make my wheels some bit lighter with sapim cx rays but dont know how much i will save
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not alot and not enough to make it worth itm also if CX rays are lighter they are also less stiff which may lead to brake rub problems.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

bm0p700f wrote:Not alot and not enough to make it worth itm also if CX rays are lighter they are also less stiff which may lead to brake rub problems.
Yeahhh so not worth the money? And some other spokes? Someone had somen better light stiffer spokes?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 pm
bm0p700f wrote:Not alot and not enough to make it worth itm also if CX rays are lighter they are also less stiff which may lead to brake rub problems.
Yeahhh so not worth the money? And some other spokes? Someone had somen better light stiffer spokes?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Sapim CX SPRINT. Marginally heavier, bit thicker, much stiffer.. :)

Marin

by Marin

WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 pm
somen better light stiffer spokes
In basically all spokes, stiffness is proportional to weight.

There are no spokes that are lighter AND stiffer - only if you change material, e.g. from steel to carbon fiber, which means new wheels and other issues.

Slammed

by Slammed

Finally recieved my parts after a long wait and got a chance to lace everything up this evening. The front wheel is 606g and the rear 792g. I won't know until I start to tension them, but it looks like all of my spoke lengths are more or less correct.

F45

by F45

What model rims are those?

Slammed

by Slammed

F45 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:42 pm
What model rims are those?
Kinlin xr19w

AC0

by AC0

Anyone with experiance using Sapim Nipple Freeze? Is it similar to DT Spoke Freeze? Does it have low enough viscosity to be added after the build and does it work when the spoke threads/nipple have been oiled?

Thanks
AC

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You use nipple freeze on dry threads only and you apply before lacing. It's too late afterwards.

The answer to your questions should be obvious why oil then use spoke prep. The spoke prep is the lubricant and the thread locker and the corrosion inhibitor. No spoke prep can be added after the build.

F45

by F45

I've been loving ARP torque grease as a spoke prep. it lubricates then dries (takes about a week) so the nipple is slightly harder to turn, but is still lubed years later if that makes sense. I use a 10ml syringe with a 12ga catheter tube and put a little squirt inside the nipple so there's no mess.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ACO: DT Spoke Freeze is applied after the build, to the spoke and nipple joint and yes, I think you can apply it even if the spoke has been oiled. But double check on that. I don’t know about the Sapim product.
I use Wheelsmith Spokeprep before the build. I just pour a very small “pool” onto a small size piece of glossy photopaper then lightly “roll” the threads of the spokes into it to get just a light (not thick) coating. Provides for smooth threading while building then will set up and prevent the spoke from loosening but not so much that it’s difficult to adjust if you need to later.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have always applied the Sapim product to the spoke threads. Just a little bit. It quite viscous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AC0

by AC0

Sounds like the DT Spoke Freeze is quite different from Sapim Nipple Freeze.

From the DT product instructions:

Apply one drop of DT spoke freeze to each nipple-spoke joint (see picture):
DT-Spoke-Freeze.png
on a degrease spoke thread: nipple is firmly fixed – no loosening
on an oiled spoke thread: nipple is fixed – but still can be turned forcefully with a nipple wrench for retruing

It has low viscosity so it is wicked into the threads post build.

In a long ago post, Ric Hjertberg suggested using loctite 220 (not 222) for it's wicking properties.

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/three ... ding-tips/

AC