The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Haha an anchor bolt, wow that is something I have never thought of before. Great idea. I am going to have to give that a try on my next brging extraction.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

killeen

by killeen

I managed to pick up a Tubeless ready(no spoke holes) farsport 38mm rim 24H & a Hope RS4 Rear Road Hub....how hard would it be for me to build this up & get it right(no previous wheel building experience). I can't seem to get anyone in Ireland willing to build it for me :noidea:
thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

J-bend flat spokes - easy, other types spokes/hubs - hard
Last edited by ooo on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'

Marin

by Marin

killeen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 pm
I managed to pick up a Tubeless ready(no spoke holes) farsport 38mm rim 24H & a Hope RS4 Rear Road Hub....how hard would it be for me to build this up & get it right(no previous wheel building experience). I can't seem to get anyone in Ireland willing to build it for me :noidea:
thanks!
Read up on it (lots, e.g. in the thread) and check 3 times if you got the pattern right before you true the wheel. You can't really make any dangerous mistakes.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

It's not too hard to build it up. Read up on it a bit, there a couple books out there.

Important thing is measuring the rim diameter to calculate the spoke length. Hub drawings are typically readily available.

If you screw up lacing the spokes wont reach or will be way too long.... did that a couple times.

Then just go slow... bring up tension slowly... true laterally than radially and repeat. My first set I built are going on 4 years, havent had to true since.... but go slow. You will see how the rim reacts when you add tension to each spoke.

Third set I built got whacky.... I loosened it all and started from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

just picked up a Reynolds assault, changing the hub, original nipples are sapim double square, i assume there is no issues just using regular nipples on these rims?

Jugi

by Jugi

I'd say check how far into the nipples the spokes are reaching. Double square nipples have a longer thread, so the spokes may have been specced 1-2mm longer than necessary because of that. If that's the case, I'd suggest rebuilding with Double squares.

If you are replacing spokes as well, then yeah, the rim doesn't care whether nipples are normal or double square or something else.

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

yes new spokes as well

cheers

STUB1

by STUB1

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Tune King/Kong or Prince/Princess hubs? I'm looking at a Kong/Princess combination for my road lightweight climbing wheels. I can't really find anything recently on the internet about them, certainly, there seemed to be issues with the old design and the freehub body. I'm not sure if that means that things have improved or people just don't use them anymore! Any experience or feedback would be appreciated.. Especially if you think it's silly to put a princess hub on a road disc wheelset instead of the King front hub.

Cheers

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

kileen, how will you measure the ERD if there no spoke holes I would not trust far sport ERD measurement. also you have to get the nipples in the rim. That will be fun. Enjoy but you might end up throwing it all in a hedge.

Tune hubs have funny preload adjustment or they used too. To be hinest I struggle to understad why people like them. Carbon Ti hubs are just about perfect for a weight weenie hub. Anything which has the petential for faff is a no in my book.

STUB1

by STUB1

Thanks bm0p700f, I did look at Carbon Ti, but they don't make centre lock hubs do they? I think options for weight weenie centre lock hubs are relatively limited, so it was really between Tune, DT swiss and something like Newmen.

Marin

by Marin

Why center lock??? IMHO a useless standard, 6-bolt is simpler and better.
STUB1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:46 am
Thanks bm0p700f, I did look at Carbon Ti, but they don't make centre lock hubs do they?

STUB1

by STUB1

What's wrong with centrelock? Other than limitations with hubs are there other issues?

killeen

by killeen

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:32 pm
kileen, how will you measure the ERD if there no spoke holes I would not trust far sport ERD measurement. also you have to get the nipples in the rim. That will be fun. Enjoy but you might end up throwing it all in a hedge.

Ha yes it's looks like its gonna be great craic getting the nipples in :noidea: tbh would love to have enough money to throw these in the hedge & start again! lesson learnt

killeen

by killeen

Some sort of magnet or a nipple tied to thread & a air compressor to blow it through rim.....great fun!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com