Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How about a pic of the cleaned rim surface? I'm curious how the process went with that Effetto Mariposa product. I just cleaned a Bora rim yesterday using my last tube of Schwalbes Tubular Glue remover and that stuff has really spoiled me when it comes to glue removal. Since you can't get the Schwalbes stuff in America I'll be looking for something new as I can't bear the thought of going back to Goof Off and the like. Also, do you have a pic of the product you used to remove the glue... I couldn't seem to find it on Effetto Mariposa's website.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:How about a pic of the cleaned rim surface? I'm curious how the process went with that Effetto Mariposa product. I just cleaned a Bora rim yesterday using my last tube of Schwalbes Tubular Glue remover and that stuff has really spoiled me when it comes to glue removal. Since you can't get the Schwalbes stuff in America I'll be looking for something new as I can't bear the thought of going back to Goof Off and the like.

Here it is:

ImageImageImageImage

There is some glue left, but i guess acetone will do the job (with plastic lever scrubbing the leftover)

p.s. Trying to find Scwalbe glue remover, but no luck even in Europe

Geoff

by Geoff

@3Pio, for the basetape, I would still recommend using a high-strength carpet adhesive. I 'borrowed' a can of Mapei 220 adhesive and that seems to have worked really well. I am pretty sure that Mapei product is available pretty widely through commercial carpet suppliers.

With respect to the Wurth product that you have shown there, I cannot imagine that it would be the right choice for the basetape if you can spray it through a nozzle...

That rim really looks clean! :shock:

3Pio

by 3Pio

Geoff wrote:@3Pio, for the basetape, I would still recommend using a high-strength carpet adhesive. I 'borrowed' a can of Mapei 220 adhesive and that seems to have worked really well. I am pretty sure that Mapei product is available pretty widely through commercial carpet suppliers.

With respect to the Wurth product that you have shown there, I cannot imagine that it would be the right choice for the basetape if you can spray it through a nozzle...

I tried to find Mapei Carpet products, but no luck :( (i'll try it more tommorow)

From Wurth there is two more products. Please check them, and tell me ur honest opinion. If not suitable, seem that i'l have to order:

1. https://eshop.wuerth.de/is-bin/INTERSHO ... E_HQAMbtVR

2. https://eshop.wuerth.de/is-bin/INTERSHO ... E__f8MbtVQ

Geoff

by Geoff

The 'Profile Rubber Glue' looks more like the contact cement that you would glue commercial carpets with, however, I have never used it before. You might try a test of that to see if it will hold-up for a basetape, or not.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Geoff wrote:The 'Profile Rubber Glue' looks more like the contact cement that you would glue commercial carpets with, however, I have never used it before. You might try a test of that to see if it will hold-up for a basetape, or not.

Thanks again.. In meanwhile, seem that i found Mapei office here, so tommorow i'll contact them to check if they can help me..

KCookie

by KCookie

3Pio wrote:
Calnago wrote:How about a pic of the cleaned rim surface? I'm curious how the process went with that Effetto Mariposa product. I just cleaned a Bora rim yesterday using my last tube of Schwalbes Tubular Glue remover and that stuff has really spoiled me when it comes to glue removal. Since you can't get the Schwalbes stuff in America I'll be looking for something new as I can't bear the thought of going back to Goof Off and the like.

Here it is:

ImageImageImageImage

There is some glue left, but i guess acetone will do the job (with plastic lever scrubbing the leftover)

p.s. Trying to find Scwalbe glue remover, but no luck even in Europe
BicycleHero.com has the Schwalbe glue remover. Delivery world wide, but they have warehouses in USA and EU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eurperg

by eurperg

I haven't been able to find "belgian tape" from European online shops, can anyone give a tip? According to my knowledge jantex is not the same stuff...

I'm planning on gluing a set of CX tubulars to Nemesis rims, so I need belgian tape to make the tubs stick from the center also.

Or should I just use Carogna tape, I have heard good things about it in cyclocross use? Does it work well with Nemesis rims because the eyelets are protruding from the rim bed?

Kurets

by Kurets

Jantex is not the same, you are correct there. I bought two pairs of wheels where they had glued with jantex in the mid layer, between glue layers. The one tyre I removed didn't stick well at all and the jantex came off very easily!
I chose to just do the best glue job I could with Mastik One. Lets see if it holds, at least it can't be worse than the Jantex mess that was on them before.
Last edited by Kurets on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sungod

by sungod

eurperg wrote:I haven't been able to find "belgian tape" from European online shops, can anyone give a tip? According to my knowledge jantex is not the same stuff...

I'm planning on gluing a set of CX tubulars to Nemesis rims, so I need belgian tape to make the tubs stick from the center also.

Or should I just use Carogna tape, I have heard good things about it in cyclocross use? Does it work well with Nemesis rims because the eyelets are protruding from the rim bed?

there is https://www.cycletyres.com/cx-tape-for- ... -4047.html

i don't do cx, but i've bought road tubs from this store, good/fast service from france to uk

Geoff

by Geoff

That will be a pretty 'old-school' 'cross build if you run Nemesis rims. Typically, we run deep carbon rims for 'cross because: i) they are way lighter to lug-around; d, ii) they pull out of mud and sand way better than low-profile rims do.

On the tape, Stu Thorne sells it on-line at his cyclocrossworld.com site. He sells big, 10-wheel rolls.

eurperg

by eurperg

Old school yes, but is there anything more beautiful and nicer to ride than a shiny bright Record hubs and Nemesis rims combined with some nice French artisan tubulars? ;)

I won't actually race 'cross, just ride on gravel and muddy farm roads...

Thanks sungod for the tip!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ahhh, gotcha! I have a couple of similar sets of pave wheels. I use Dugast or FMB Paris-Roubaix 27s, but just glue them up like regular tubulars. I'll bet you won't need full 'cross tires for that.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Geoff wrote:The 'Profile Rubber Glue' looks more like the contact cement that you would glue commercial carpets with, however, I have never used it before. You might try a test of that to see if it will hold-up for a basetape, or not.

Ok, i found shoe contact cemment, glue the tape on the tires using peaces from old tire.

Scratched as much old glue as possible

Put a new layer of glue on the tire

Cleaned the rim even better using Effetto Mariposa (totaly like brand new)

Then cleaned the rim with Aceton as better as possible..

Two very thin layers of glue on the rim (24 hours time between), and third final glue coat (also thin)

Put the tire , centered. Use the pole to press the tire all over surface (both sides). Then roll the tire/wheel with my weight.

Put some zip ties on the valve part

And waited 24 hours. Push test failed again :(

I really done everything by the book. Is it possible that Effeto Mariposa have some thin layer on the rim (even i was cleaning the rim really detailed with the acetone), which make problems with Vittoria glue at the end? And when i tried to use the light to check the rim surface, it was looking totaly brand new with no signs of every other layers of something..

Now Effeto Mariopsa again to remove the glue, and ill start all over. It's strange that with brand new tire, it was almost perfect. The problems started as soon as i decide to reglue that tire , since valve was a bit up from the rim.

So should i bin this tire, and start all over with new tire?

Before glueing of rim again.. Should i clean the rim maybe with alcohol instead with acetone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

did the glue pull off the rim?

if it did, i'd assume the rim was contaminated, though it could also be that the first layer hadn't dried fully yet

fwiw on holiday i pulled off the rear tub*, patched it, glued back (thin coat on tub just where basetape was bare, let it dry, thin coat on rim, mount ), a few days later i had to bin that tyre, put a thin coat on the rim and mounted a new tub i'd glued a few weeks ago

aside from a few small areas the rim glue was ok every time, and even using a lever it was really difficult getting the tub off each time

(* and i'd only fitted that one about two weeks ago, on the old glue that's been on the rim over a year, and has had 2-3 tubs on it - i'm lazy, i hate taking all the glue off!)

whether it's from fingers or something else, if the glue on the rim is coming off easily, you need to look at method and technique, as you seem to have a consistent problem

edit: and, no, you don't bin a good tyre!