Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jopie666

by Jopie666

That is exactly how I do it Calnago. The hardest part of replacing my tubs is to get the old ones of.
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I have a guy wanting to pay me to glue his tubulars now that he’s started riding them and has a bunch of wheels. The thing is, I said I’ll walk him the process once, on a NEW set of wheels, so he can do it himself (that whole “teach a man to fish” concept). But I don’t want to be stripping other peoples rims of old glue, and yes, I like to start fresh each time (another topic). I had a supply of Schwalbes Tubular Glue Remover which made the process somewhat bearable but I am fresh out of that now and it’s next to impossible to come by in America unless some shady distributor from Poland gets his hands on some somehow (did I just give away my source). Anyway, I’ve tried some other adhesive removers that I can get locally but so far nothing really is up to the task in making it a simple process. I do have a tube of the Effetto Mariposa Glue Remover which I have yet to try and am guarding it closely, as it seems just as hard to get. I really need to go to Italy and find myself an Italian girlfriend willing to send love packages overseas.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

Jopie666 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:57 pm
This morning in a local club race.. final corner in the final lap and this guy loses his tire....
He said he applied 2 layers on the rim and one on his tire. There isn’t any residu on the rim. I think he dindn’t sand his rims at all!
I gave him the advice to do so and apply more thin layers.
Next time it could be me crashing due to his gluing skills.
did he just forget the glue? i heard someone may have once done that :D

addictR1

by addictR1

Effetto Mariposa glue remover... I was able to get a tube of it from amazon.

No one on eBay selling the schwalbe would ship to US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, that’s how I got a tube of it as well, after weeks of waiting finally got in touch with Amazon and something had gone amiss so they sent it again. Weeks more later, a single tube arrived. Not even sure from where. Probably overseas but somehow made it past air security? Trouble with Amazon, is for some things like this, I have no idea where the order is actually originating. I just finally found a tube that “said” international shipping available so I ordered it. Hope it’s not filled with hair shampoo.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

Calnago wrote:Yes, that’s how I got a tube of it as well, after weeks of waiting finally got in touch with Amazon and something had gone amiss so they sent it again. Weeks more later, a single tube arrived. Not even sure from where. Probably overseas but somehow made it past air security? Trouble with Amazon, is for some things like this, I have no idea where the order is actually originating. I just finally found a tube that “said” international shipping available so I ordered it. Hope it’s not filled with hair shampoo.
Yea mine showed prime on there but somehow it’s taking close to 2 wks to get here. If it works well.. gonna stock up; unless I go with tape later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

@Jopie666, the issue there is not that the rim wasn't sanded, but that there is not enough glue used. When the two surfaces (the rim bed and the basetape) are mated together, there needs to be enough glue down to 'fill-in' all of the various nooks and crannies with glue. In my experience, two layers on the rim bed and one on the basetape is a bit on the light side to accomplish that.

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Geoff wrote:@Jopie666, the issue there is not that the rim wasn't sanded, but that there is not enough glue used. When the two surfaces (the rim bed and the basetape) are mated together, there needs to be enough glue down to 'fill-in' all of the various nooks and crannies with glue. In my experience, two layers on the rim bed and one on the basetape is a bit on the light side to accomplish that.
That is also true. But I think there should be more residu visible on the rim in that case. Not all of the glue get’s soaked into the basetape without leaving traces on the rim bed.
Actually I doubt that there where two layers on the rim. And maybe he forgot to inflate the tire after gluing and alignment.
Anyhow.. what he did wasn’t right in maybe more than one way.
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

Geoff

by Geoff

If you look at the 'longer' of the two shots, towards the downtube it does look as though there is more glue on the rim. At least no one was badly hurt...

KCookie

by KCookie

addictR1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:09 am
Effetto Mariposa glue remover... I was able to get a tube of it from amazon.

No one on eBay selling the schwalbe would ship to US. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey guys,
Bikebug here in OZ always has the Mariposa glue remover in stock, $27.99. Might be worth going on the website to see if they send overseas. Regarding the Schwalbe glue remover I can also confirm this stuff is excellent and like rocking horse sh#t to get hold off. I eventually found some in Korea, terrible communication and delivery was a joke, but it did eventually arrive. I do have a spare tube which unfortunately will never get used as I use tape.

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Geoff wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:49 pm
If you look at the 'longer' of the two shots, towards the downtube it does look as though there is more glue on the rim. At least no one was badly hurt...
Well... His body had a bit of asphalt rash. The saddle post broke, the handlebar and left shifter was also damaged.

sungod

by sungod

if you are looking for the carogna glue remover in usa, try this place...
https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Carogna-Re ... p_508.html

sovereign

by sovereign

I have Shimano C24 and C50 wheels, so I contacted Shimano to ask what they recommend for removing glue. The first rep didn't know what was approved, so he started looking up manuals online. I asked to talk to someone else who may have more direct knowledge and he too started looking up manuals online. Useless. So, here is what the dealer manual for Shimano states:

"When cleaning the rim surfaces, use only a cleaning agent which is exclusively designed for tubular tires. If any other type of cleaning agent is used, it may cause deterioration of the rim material."

Reading that Zipp has stated to use acetone, I called them to see if there was anything else to use that may work better. The answer: acetone is the only approved solvent to use on carbon rims. The rep stated that any citrus based solution, as well as Goof Off/Goo Gone, contain ingredients that will damage the carbon.

At least the Shimano documentation leaves the door open to use the Schwalbe stuff, since it is "exclusively designed for tubular tires."

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Acetone is next to useless when trying to remove glue. It is good to clean residue and grease off a surface just prior to gluing. Schwalbes Glue remover works, as I hope does Effetto Mariposa, since I have a tube of that now. I have also used Goof-Off and still would, when it comes to cleaning glue off rims. Be very careful of it around decals however, and that's hard with Goof-Off as it's so "liquid". Still, I'd rather just scrape glue off manually than rely on acetone to help. Of course, I never leave a rim soaking in any harsh chemical, just a quick as needed use, then done.

sovereign

by sovereign

Yes, acetone is next to useless. Yet, it is interesting that it is the only thing that Zipp says you can use, stating explicitly that other solvents will damage the carbon. It would be nice to have definitive information from another manufacturer that there is something else that can be safely used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com