Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, certainly the “Belgian” tape method might be good too, but kind of a pain if you can get away without it. It’s goal is the same, to build up the center of the rim bed a bit and thus increase its effective radius to better match the larger tire’s profile. That’s why I’m curious to see how well the center of the tire seems to bond to the the center of the rim bed, but won’t know that until you remove a previously glued and used set. Let’s see some pics when all is said and done.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Curiosity question:

Recently bought a set of wheels that came with new Clemente “tubeless” 25 new tires glued on. From the looks and hand touch/feel I’d say they are harsh to ride and have little grip on corners and rain, but seem to surprisingly hold pressure over several days far more than even the Conti Competition I regularly ride.

Anyone have any experience with these tyres in terms of comfort and puncture resistance?

I rode Veloflex carbons, Vittorias, and eventually settled with Conti competition as the best compromise of all things (price, puncture resistance, feel, and mileage).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

I decided to put 3 layers on the rim and 1 good layer on he base tape. I'm using an old chain lube bottle to spread Mastik, works very nicely with new Boras:

This is how it sits on the rim. Measured width is 29,5mm, maybe it will strech a bit after a while.

Overall the gluing procedure was easy, G-ones were Veloflex-like easy to stretch on the rim and went really straight without any adjusting. I decided to try Schwalbe this time because my experiences with Challenge and FMB have not been really good. If just Veloflex made a 30mm...

Geoff

by Geoff

Now THAT is a road tire! My Dugast 27s mic-out to around 28, so they are pretty close. The tan sidewall seem to make them look less massive than those, though? Maybe the herring bone is 'slimming' too.

chiefspinninggear

by chiefspinninggear

PinaRene wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 am
@ Jaspero - I had the same Mavic wheels with 24mm Schwalbe One tubulars mounted on them, but 25mm will also be fine on them.
@ PinaRene did you sell your CCU'S

dgasmd

by dgasmd

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm
Curiosity question:

Recently bought a set of wheels that came with new Clemente “tubeless” 25 new tires glued on. From the looks and hand touch/feel I’d say they are harsh to ride and have little grip on corners and rain, but seem to surprisingly hold pressure over several days far more than even the Conti Competition I regularly ride.

Anyone have any experience with these tyres in terms of comfort and puncture resistance?

I rode Veloflex carbons, Vittorias, and eventually settled with Conti competition as the best compromise of all things (price, puncture resistance, feel, and mileage).
Nobody? Really?

sungod

by sungod

you don't say which clement tub you are asking about, strada lgg maybe?

but i read somewhere that tufo may make clement tyres now...
- the clement website has sealant that looks like rebranded tufo bottles
- the tubeless construction sounds like tufo, also fits with holding pressure for much longer

i use a tufo as a spare, not a great ride

dgasmd

by dgasmd

sungod wrote:you don't say which clement tub you are asking about, strada lgg maybe?

but i read somewhere that tufo may make clement tyres now...
- the clement website has sealant that looks like rebranded tufo bottles
- the tubeless construction sounds like tufo, also fits with holding pressure for much longer

i use a tufo as a spare, not a great ride
I think you are very correct in all counts. I too carry a Rufo as a spare and rides like a 2x4, which is why it never occurred to me this tires would be made by Tufo!

Here are a couple of pictures.
ImageImage

PinaRene

by PinaRene

chiefspinninggear wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:30 pm
PinaRene wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 am
@ Jaspero - I had the same Mavic wheels with 24mm Schwalbe One tubulars mounted on them, but 25mm will also be fine on them.
@ PinaRene did you sell your CCU'S

Yes , but I do have:

* Campagnolo Bora one's - tubular ( Vittoria Corsa Grapheen 25mm )
* Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra Two - tubular ( Vittoria Corsa Grapheen25mm )
* FFWD F4R Special Black edition with carbon DT Swiss 180 hubs - tubular ( Conti Competition 25mm )

eurperg

by eurperg

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm
That’s why I’m curious to see how well the center of the tire seems to bond to the the center of the rim bed, but won’t know that until you remove a previously glued and used set. Let’s see some pics when all is said and done.
Well, I had really bad luck with this G-One 30mm, got a 15mm long cut from a sharp rock wheen riding on a small forest path... The bond was really good, and this was with 3 + 1 layers of Mastik. The tubular has a normal black butyl inner tube in it.

Because of the butyl tube they are not as supple as Veloflex or Challenge, but still feel really fast with 3/4 bar pressure.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Is it normal for my Vittoria corsa g+ to completely deflate after 2 1/2 days of being inflated? Did my installer forget to seal the valve stem extensions?

KCookie

by KCookie

That's usual for tubular tyres.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Completely flat? Definitely would need to add air but I wouldn’t think they’d be completely flat. Yes, I’d be checking the extension joint (I use Teflon plumbers tape and tighten before install) and also check the valve core just to be sure it’s snug and not leaking.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sungod

by sungod

i found the lightweight extenders that worked fine on veloflex tubs would leak slightly on vittoria g+ tubs

vittoria's own extenders did not leak, and have a visibly larger o-ring seal

as above, use some ptfe tape on the extenders and it'll probably cure the problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joe1234

by joe1234

Do you know the real measure (width) for the Continental Competition tubular 19mm? Yes 19mm!!! ( for Lightweight wheels Standard III tubular). Thank you!