Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bahn

by bahn

I glue 25mm Veloflex Arenbergs & Conti Competitions to my ENVE 7.8 and have seen no problem with the seating of the tubular to the rim bed and it looks like a nice snug fit... thumb tested and always been stuck well and difficult to remove later on. Although the rims are wide 29mm/27.5mm I think the rim bed profile is well designed for 25mm tyres and that there is just plenty of rim material to make the rims wide.

The same is true for all glue jobs - if you don't seat the tubular straight and centred then you can find the tubular won't have stuck very well to the edges of the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

Have not had much luck with this - what is the difference between aluminium and carbon gluiong tape?

Why can't aluminium specific tape be used on carbon rims?

Jugi

by Jugi

As far as I have understood, aluminium and carbon specific tubular glues do not have a drastic chemical difference. Usually the one meant for carbon doesn't provide as strong of a bond in small quantitys, but with a larger volume it just as strong.

As some rim manufacturers (I have seen disclaimers from FFWD and Zipp) do not recommend tubular tape for some of their carbon rims, I think a carbon specific tape could be ok to use on those rims.

Valy

by Valy

Okay. I am just concerned with using Al tape for carbon handlebars. I stick some foam bits under the bar tape to hold them in place!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

topt

by topt

a noob question, since I have never used tubulars before, do tubs also strech on a rim like clinchers, what would be the optimal rim width for aero for conti 5000 25mm?
thanks

Geoff

by Geoff

Absolutely. Tubulars stretch like crazy. I strongly recommend that you pre-stretch them on an old rim (put them on and inflate them to 110+ psi for a week and change before you glue them on your wheels. Some people say that Conti tires are 'tougher' to mount than some of the hand-made variants, but I have not personally noticed that.

I have run the Conti Comp 25s on Hed Stingers with no issues. I think that most 'conventional' tubular wheelsets can handle the 25s pretty easily. I have road tires as large as 27 and have never had a problem mounting them to a 'conventional' tubular rim (the issue being whether or not the rim bed and the basetape mate well, or if the contour of the rim no longer matches the larger tire circumfrence, as happens to 'cross wheels, necessitating the use of 'Belgian' tape to fill-out the gap.

LouisN

by LouisN

topt wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 am
a noob question, since I have never used tubulars before, do tubs also strech on a rim like clinchers, what would be the optimal rim width for aero for conti 5000 25mm?
thanks
Where did you find GP 5000 tubulars ??

LOuis :)

topt

by topt

I didnt, thought I would buy them but now I see they dont make them

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I´d like to improve aerodynamics of my Bora Ultra tubulars, anyone tried to fill the gap between rim and tyre on the style of Mavic´s CX01? https://cycletechreview.com/2012/news/m ... isallowed/

Maybe stupid idea, but I was thinking about using some black silicone sealant, anyone has done it yet?

LewisK

by LewisK

Hambini mentioned this in one of his videos. Basically using silicone to smooth the area between the tyre and wheel. Same as what Mavic did!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Cannot find that video. Can anyone describe the procedure and what silicone to use?
I´ve never done it before but will certainly try it. Mavic´s system looks clever and makes sense so why not take an advantage from it...

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Cyclespeed tours is the one with that video actually. I'll edit this and link to his video in a minute.

sylvanscreener

by sylvanscreener

Hello all, this is my first ever post on this forum, so I apologize if this is a question that's been beaten to death already (I've searched the forum archive with no success). Being a new convert to tubulars, I've purchased 2 Vittoria Corsa G+ tubs, and a Tufo Elite Jet 20mm for a spare kit, all of which are in transit.

Do the Vittorias and the Elite Jet tubular tires come with removable valve cores? Furthermore, what are the best valve extenders to use for a Bora 50 wheelset, for both tire types (I've read the Vittoria tubular extenders are terrible since they cannot thread onto tubular presta valves)? I of course want to have the Elite Jet prepared and extended before ever hitting the road. Thanks!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:41 am
Cyclespeed tours is the one with that video actually. I'll edit this and link to his video in a minute.
Didn´t you find it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:04 pm
Didn´t you find it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIZdhSu1ts