Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PinaRene

by PinaRene

I sure would have used sealant, just to try it out with a cut like that. Even if it would be on the side of the road, or maybe becuase it's on the side of the road. Within 5 minutes you know if it will work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Glued my Continental Competition Pro Ltd tubular tires this afternoon/night. Last week I glued on some Vredestein Fortezza Senso T tubulars on them, but I wanted to test the Conti's first. So removed the Vredestein tubulars , and glue on the rim was almost perfect. No naked spots on both rims - evenly spread and just 2 layers. Just roughned them a bit with a metal brush. So early afternoon I gave the Conti's a first glue and set them away for 4 hours. After that I did a second layer on the tires and started to give a last thin layer on the rear wheel first.

After leaving it alone for 3 minutes I did my tested " water method " and glued the tub to the rim. The tubs needed a good stretch to mount although they've been on a rim for over 1 week. They are realy tight, and happy that the water method gives just that bit of extra time to center the tub. Front wheel, same issue - tight tub but spot on , love these nice jobs to do. ( Used Continental Glue for carbon rims )

And streching this week, a pair of A.Dugast 25mm tubular tires. ( Will use Vittoria Mastik One glue for these ) They meassure 25.7mm and have quit a bit of volume, and they just fit under the front wheel brake caliper so that will be replaced for a 24mm. Getting ready for spring rides. I've used the Bora's with a pair of Vittoria's Grapheen + 25mm and those tubulars ride great but the rear had a flat spot so replace them was the best option.

Last edited by PinaRene on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Nice tires. Good choice.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Yesterday I removed the glue of the rear rim ( Campagnolo Bora ) with old fashion elbow steam a cloth and some petrol / lamp oil. It took me about 2 hours on/off and a thumb blister. But clean like new, only because I didn't wanted to wait until the Effeto Mariposa Remover came in today.

So this afternoon I've started with the front rim while the A.Dugast 24mm is stretching on the rear rim. It will be mounted on the front rim because a 25mm Dugast is almost touching the front brake caliper. The 24 mm has a 1.5mm less hight, is 0.7mm smaller ( 25.4 vs 24.7 on 7 Bar. ) so a bit more space for the tubular.

Hope the Effeto Mariposa Remover works as good as I suspect it will. :mrgreen:

UPDATE : Effeto Mariposa works fine when the glue is softened with some petrol. Peeling it of layer by layer with a small steel brush and a cloth and some old fashion elbow steam. Just 3 or 4 layers of hardened Vittoria Mastik doesn't work with Effeto Mariposa, but is also a crime with just some petrol. The front wheel is build up with more layers of glue, but that's alway the issue that you don't know what you get with used wheels.

I will use some Vittoria Mastik again on the Bora wheels - 2 layers on the rim, 2 layers on the tubular tires , and ready for a new season of riding.
Last edited by PinaRene on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Anybody have a photo of a really good cured gluejob with min pressure in it getting pushed to the side. Wanna see if i am just neing picky or if my glue job is garbage
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PinaRene

by PinaRene

NiFTY wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:03 pm
Anybody have a photo of a really good cured gluejob with min pressure in it getting pushed to the side. Wanna see if i am just neing picky or if my glue job is garbage
Here you go :

Inflated tubular :

Deflated tubular tire :

Thumb test all way around like this, so no gaps or a lot of excess glue :

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Thats great, thanks. Really not happy with my glue job
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PinaRene

by PinaRene

NiFTY wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 am
Thats great, thanks. Really not happy with my glue job
Can you share it with us ( pictures ) - maybe we can give you some tips and tricks.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Friend of mine is glueing tubulars by some weird technique. He just spread the Mastik glue on the rim and tyre and immediately fit the tyre. He says ´s there´s no problem with safety plus the tyre can be more precisely aligned.
What do you think?

I´d like to give it a try as well, because I had always problems with fitting and aligning tyres with ordinary technique(first layer on the rim and tyre dried plus second layer on tyre).

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It's not weird, just not recommended by Vittoria. I think lots of lbs will do likewise as well. But since it's not done according to specific manufacturer's instructions, the bond might not be as strong (I'm guessing it'll still be strong enough but who knows).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jugi

by Jugi

ReactiveE wrote:Friend of mine is glueing tubulars by some weird technique. He just spread the Mastik glue on the rim and tyre and immediately fit the tyre. He says ´s there´s no problem with safety plus the tyre can be more precisely aligned.
What do you think?
I use this technique. Not because I have somehow proven it to be adequate, but because I have un-knowingly ridden some wheels which have had miniscule amounts of glue on the rim. If that does the trick, I'm quite confident putting tires on fresh glue creates a decent bond as well. The tires have gotten hard enough to remove.

However I wouldn't recommend this technique either, because I can't imagine all possible rim + tire combinations, environmental conditions and use cases there may be.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

I´ll probably give it a try, I think the tyres will be hard to remove anyway. Will post some pics later.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

ReactiveE wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 am
Friend of mine is glueing tubulars by some weird technique. He just spread the Mastik glue on the rim and tyre and immediately fit the tyre. He says ´s there´s no problem with safety plus the tyre can be more precisely aligned.
What do you think?

I´d like to give it a try as well, because I had always problems with fitting and aligning tyres with ordinary technique(first layer on the rim and tyre dried plus second layer on tyre).
You could give a little water on the tire before mounting it on the rim,that makes centre really easy

addictR1

by addictR1

Pinguin wrote:
ReactiveE wrote:
What do you think?

You could give a little water on the tire before mounting it on the rim,that makes centre really easy
Yup the water method works the best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Pinguin wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 pm
ReactiveE wrote:
What do you think?

Do you mean give the water on the wet glued tyre?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com