Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LouisN

by LouisN

It also looks as he spreads the excess glue on the sides of the tubular, and meticulously forces it between the tubular and rim to "seal " the area. Will the water "shower" take the excess glue off ? Doesn't seem like it from what we see at the beginning of the video. Maybe even serves as an "aero coat" for better rim/tub interface...
I'm educating myself to this glue :) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpRSKYKACI

Might be tempted by it !! Looks easy !!

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re Schwalbe Glue Remover and Effetto Mariposa Carogna... I'm just not sure, but given that I can't easily get the Schwalbe stuff where I am, I am using the EM product for now. The first time I used Effetto Mariposa Carogna was on a carbon rim that had not had a wheel on it for some time. The glue was very dried out and not layers thick. Put it on, and the dried glue practically just disolved in a few hours and was super easy to clean off. I thought "holy crap, there is really zero reason not to use tubulars if glue removal is really this easy". But the next wheelset I tried it on kind of mirrored @1415chris's description a few posts above. It took a few rounds, but in the end... I get to start with a rim surface pretty much as new...
Bora... ready for glue and tire...

The stuff above that LouisN is asking about used to be called Magik Mastik when it first came out, but then they changed the named to Mastik Pro. I haven't used it, but I wouldn't necessarily look to how the pros do it as to best practices for gluing. I've seen that video above before and just thought... "my god, what a mess". I've heard that it can be kind of hit and miss but I don't know why. I haven't used it before as I guess I've just been happy with Mastik One. But still like to hear what others experiences are with stuff like that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, reading the comments under the Vittoria video, I assume there is no real magic happening with this glue.
Else we would have a lot more positive feedback from users worldwide.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I tried Magic Mastik in the past and it was untrustworthy, but am intending to fix on a pair of tires with Mastik Pro on the back of some favourable reviews. People on Velocipede Salon says it's absolutely necessary to make sure it's tacky before putting on the tire otherwise a watery gluey mess will be created. Will leave some comments here hopefully in this coming week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Guys yesterday I glued my Vittorias on my Bora Ultra wheels and I messed up the braking AC3 surface. Don´t have any special glue remover now and cannot wait few days til it would arrive.
Can I use toluene or something like that safely? Won´t it hurt carbon brake track?

Thx!

KCookie

by KCookie

Roadrocket wrote:Guys yesterday I glued my Vittorias on my Bora Ultra wheels and I messed up the braking AC3 surface. Don´t have any special glue remover now and cannot wait few days til it would arrive.
Can I use toluene or something like that safely? Won´t it hurt carbon brake track?

Thx!
You could try Goof off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I´d like to, but won´t buy it locally. Need it remove today.

KCookie

by KCookie

Have you any acetone, would take a lot of elbow grease to remove the glue but worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I don´t have an acetone but can go for it to the lacquer store. Would you prefer acetone over toluene?

Or I can buy both, they are cheap but I´m afraid about my carbon rims..

LouisN

by LouisN

Acetone does nothing for tubular glue, but will melt your stickers.
Paint thinner with mineral spirits does a good job, is available at any hardware store, and is safe on carbon rims.

For my "big job" glue removal I finished the job with EM Carogna stuff. Well it took three "passes" and a lot of elbow grease to remove the old glue completely.
So not much better than paint thinner, but smells alot better :) .
Still have to clean residue with acetone. With paint thinner the melted glue tends to stick easily to just anbout every part of the wheels, so you have to be careful not to touch every part ( side of rims, spokes, etc...) when brushing the old glue. I use some dishes scouring pads cut in small pieces.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks, do you think paint thinner will be better option than Tolune?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

FWIW I just checked the tin and Mastik doesn´t contain Toluene or Xylol, just Hexane...
Attachments
mastik.jpg

1415chris

by 1415chris

Is it something I, chemically illiterate, should be worry about?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Goof Off contains just about every nasty element you can think of. It is my goto for cleaning small spots of glue off braking surfaces, but I generally don’t have any mess to clean up from the brake track. None. And yes, I’m kinda bragging. Live and learn. I won’t talk about how it used to be
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

So I bought paint thinner C-6000 (containing 50-70% Toluene, 10-15% Methyl Acetate, butan-1-ol, n-butyl acetate, ethanol) and it was very easy job to remove glue from the brake track.
Anyway for the next time I´ll be more careful and precise when glueing :)