Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
beanbiken

by beanbiken

:D :D :oops: I can't talk, whilst I don't use tape I use the other "cheating" method, water based glue.

BB.

Don't let them bully you KC :smartass: :lol: :lol:
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s ok @Kcookie, you tried. It’s not for everyone and I have to admit, I’ve been in tubular hell over the last several days as I plug away at getting a fresh start for spring, with all wheels in good shape. It’s not the gluing, it’s the glue removal that’s always hit and miss and I really like to start each glue job with a fresh clean rim bed. I had one wheel out of 5 that the glue just seemed to dissolve with one application of the Effetto Mariposa remover and was so easy. I’m trying to figure out why that one was so easy and the others not so much. The only difference was that the easy wheel had been sitting around for a long time with no tire on it, so seemed pretty dried out. Maybe the Effetto stuff disolved it easier. Anyway, I’m almost ready for the new season with all wheels a go.

The cat is happy. He knows this is a sign that spring is near... he doesn’t really care about the wheels so much... but the rabbits... yes, the rabbits!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KCookie

by KCookie

beanbiken wrote::D :D :oops: I can't talk, whilst I don't use tape I use the other "cheating" method, water based glue.

BB.

Don't let them bully you KC :smartass: Image Image
Hey mate.
Yes that glue is a lot easier to use. I still have a spare one, should have tried that. The good thing is I actually used the wheel today. Yah. I Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

beanbiken

by beanbiken

@Calnago, looking at where you seem to be cleaning your wheel............... if I tried to do that in our lounge/living room I believe Mrs Biken would bury me alive in a African fire ants nest head down and with honey plastered over my tender bits :shock: :oops: :D
BB

Coffee & carbon

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s MY corner. The coffee corner. The bike corner... although bikes have been known to spill over into many other parts of the house, as is the case these days. Got a few projects going on so things get a little crazy. The garage is cold.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Anyone looking for Competition Pro Limited tubs in 25 or 25 Paris Roubaix? Might have access to a few unused pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

What’s this water base glue? Different from mastik? Easier to clean off?

KCookie

by KCookie

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Its Vittoria Mastic Pro, there's a YouTube video of a mechanic from Lotto NL Jumbo mounting a tyre. I definitely wouldn't say it's easier to clean off, quite the opposite.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 pm

As per KC, easier to use, self centering etc but a damn beast to clean off. Seems to stay tacky/greasy, yes I know it's glue :wink: Leave it on your brake tracks and you get awful pulsing...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Harder than regular Mastik One to get off? Sheesh... I loves me tubulars but I’ve been in tubular week hell, with cleaning off glue (mind you I like to get the rim beds looking like new with no traces of old glue left). But still... it’s the one part of riding tubulars I truly detest... cleaning off old glue. I actually kind of enjoy the gluing part and then, after it’s all done and mounted... you ride them and forget about all the pain. And I do think flatting is super easy to deal with these days too, with the advent of sealant etc. But if you do have to throw on a spare while on the road (which I can’t remember the last time I’ve had to) the process is a whole lot less messy than if you have to insert a spare inner tube into a sealant filled tubeless tire. Guy brought over his tubular to me the other day, a Conti Comp 22mm with a gash in it after hitting a nail head that he was sure would require a new tire. I put maybe 10ml of Orange Seal Regular in it and voila, sealed up instantly. I let it set up at about 60psi, then once it looked like that was holding just fine I pumped it up to around 120 for good measure. Still, the gash in the outer rubber was pretty big so I’m trying some of this stuff for the first time to see how it does to ensure the gash doesn’t get any bigger. Picked it up while I was buying some AquaSeal (different product) at a dive shop....

KCookie

by KCookie

That's good to know about the side wall repair Calnago. That's how all this to glue or not to glue came around as I had the same problem and thought sealant wouldn't work so changed the tyre on the side of the road.
Do you think it's worth trying sealant on this tyre.
Cheers ImageImageImage

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm, that’s s tough call. Always better to be safe than sorry, so maybe you did the right thing. I wish I had taken a pic of the situation I was dealing with before I fixed it (still needs some miles on it before I can say for sure it worked).
The last tubular I replaced on the road was because it wasn’t holding air when I tired to pump it up after adding sealant. So I just put the spare on (yes I carry a spare). I carried the old one home because I wanted to see how bad a puncture it took for the sealant not to work. I pumped it up a bit to find the hole. Nothing. Pumped it harder. Nothing. What had happened was that the sealant eventually worked, but not immediately. It was the “Endurance” formula if I recall. That’s when I fully went back to just using the “regular” version, as it definitely does seem to seal up better and faster.

KCookie

by KCookie

I thought the same soon as I saw the split and though there's no way I'm trying sealant on this tyre on the side if the road. I was imagining the sealant going all over me as it came squirting out the hole once pumped.
I definitely would like to try sealant just out of curiosity. Only spare wheel I have without a tyre is clincher, Would that suffice.?

Last edited by KCookie on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sure, you mean just to mount it on and test to see if the sealant works? As long as you can fit the tubular over the clincher bead than give it a shot. It’s good to have a feel for how something works before you need to rely on it for realz.

KCookie

by KCookie

That's correct. Just to mount and see if I can seal it. The tyre has only seen a few hundred kms so would hate to throw it away. $100 wasted otherwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com