Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PinaRene

by PinaRene

Glued some new Veloflex Raven yesterday on my Zipp 303FC Disc. Used the one and only Mastik one from Vittoria. Today it was testride day, and wow these are comfortable at lowwwww pressure. 4.2 Bar in the front and 4.5 Bar in the rear tubular was perfect for my 74Kg. Before these Veloflex I had some Conti Pro Ltd 25mm on these wheels, but wanted to try something else for bad roads as my Zipp 454 have the Conti Pro Ltd's also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@PinaRene: Isn't 4.2-4.2 bar a bit on the low side ? I'd ride these at 6.5 bar for best performance.
Furthermore, why still use Mastik One while Mastik Pro is actually far better at keeping rolling resistance down ?

Cheers, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Sun May 23, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

@fdegrove : I ride my Conti's Pro Ltd 25mm at 5.8 and 6 Bar. Love the comfort of the Veloflex at this pressure. ( try it once 😎 ) And the can of Vittoria glue is still 80% full so no reason to try other glue at the moment.

Maybe if marginal gains would count to my rides, but a 28.8 km/h or a 29.7 km/h isn't in the glue. And besides that : just ride for fun here, no competition rides at the moment.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Fine with me, sir. I don't race either but I enjoy my bikes endlessly.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Pepsi

by Pepsi

Can i somehow repair this?

Vittoria Corsa
Attachments
E2C281B8-A097-4FD7-B11C-E0CE665ABD0C.jpeg

Geoff

by Geoff

Surprisingly, yes!

I have had some success with gluing-down an 'unvulcanized', hand-made tubular tread that was starting to lift-up like that one. Using a stiff brush, you can actually get Barge cement up under there pretty well. You need to make sure that the glue gets up under the tread all the way to the back and on both of the tread side and the casing side in a thin layer. Once it dries-up a bit, you need to tightly bind it down so that it cures flat. I used a piece of plastic poly (which will not stick down as easily) and wrapped the repair area with an old butyl inner tube that was stretched tightly whilst wrapping around the repair area. Oh, make sure that the tire is at-pressure before you do it.

Once you let it cure, remove the wrap and let it dry overnight. Done!

Pepsi

by Pepsi

Thk!

eurperg

by eurperg

I have had success gluing separated tread back with Aquasure. Typical contact cement has not been strong enough. I have used a small stick to apply the glue, the inflated the tire and wrapped over the area with electric tape and let dry overnight.

Eventually I had to repair my Challenge cross tubulars like that from all over, they just did not hold up because I was riding them in wet all the time.

nick12

by nick12

Any tips for removing old Conti glue from tires? I tried gluing my first tubular a couple nights ago and c0cked it up so now need to redo the process. Getting the old glue off the rim was okay but not sure how to address the tire. Do I just peel it off with my fingers (and hope they don't bleed)?

nick12

by nick12

dj97223

by dj97223

Hi, if you are going to be using the same brand glue again, there usually is no need to remove the "old" glue from the base tape before re-gluing. Minor unevenness can be smoothed out with the brush when you apply a new thin coat. Big chunks can be slowly peeled off rather easily with your fingers.

If you are talking the sidewall, that is a different story. You could try some solvent, but I find a fingernail works OK and avoids the risk that that a strong solvent discolors the sidewall.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

nick12

by nick12

Thanks! Was planning to use Mastik so thought it best to take off the old Conti. Will try peeling off and a solvent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossin67

by Rossin67

nick12 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:39 am
Any tips for removing old Conti glue from tires? I tried gluing my first tubular a couple nights ago and c0cked it up so now need to redo the process. Getting the old glue off the rim was okay but not sure how to address the tire. Do I just peel it off with my fingers (and hope they don't bleed)?
I use disc brake cleaner to remove glue that gets on the side of my rims when mounting new tires, it wipes the glue right off. It also removes residue from stickers when I peel them off my rims or whatnot. I haven't tried it to remove glue off tires but I'm betting it will work good.
Last edited by Rossin67 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

eurostar

by eurostar

I've just tried Mastik Pro for the first time...the one "you can clean with water". That's "one of the many benefits." If you get some on the braking surface "just have a wet sponge handy". Total lies. From now on I won't believe a single word from Vittoria. No more tyres from them, ever. And I'm taking the glue back to Condor for a refund. (I told them I wanted it because of the 'wash off with water' claim.) AND they charged me £17.99, when the RRP is £14.16. I'm all for supporting a real shop by paying them a fair price, but 27% more than retail.... I.

KCookie

by KCookie

I agree. Yeah Mastic pro is crap. It certainly doesn't just wipe off with water. A year later I still have glue residue opon the brake track.
All I use now is tape. Quick, clean and easy.

I can't see how its the shops fault though. They didn't produce the product, only sell it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com