Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You could consider Jevelot Tire Life, which is liquid latex to preserve tire life. it is listed for sale at http://www.timslife.com/brancat/tires/tire6.php . Here is what it says there:
Jevelot Tire Sidewall Latex
Cotton and silk tubular tire sidewalls are factory treated with liquid latex. Jevelot produces the same latex in an easy to use bottle that is simple to apply. Just clean your tire's sidewalls with Le Tour Cycle Clean, let dry and then brush on a fine layer of Jevelot Tire Life. Prevents casing degradation by UV or the elements. Comes with an applicator brush. Clean up with soap and water. One jar coats 5 to 10 sidewalls.

Jevelot must be absorbed by the casing fibers for it to work properly. Jevelot will not adhere to nylon casing tires like Continental. Made in the USA.
There is some discussion at https://www.roadbikereview.com/threads/ ... ife.72616/ . I have no idea of the merits of Aquaseal for your situation.

I bought a jar in the late 90s. The contents are now a brownish blob.

This is on the (old) jar:

Jevelot
P.O. Box 349
La Honda, CA 9402
415/968-0202

The actual zip code for La Honda CA is 94020, but 9402 is what is on the jar, hopefully not indicative of the quality control of the actual product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

@petepeterson, you should just be able to use a latex-based 'adhesive' to restore the sidewalls. I have used that for many decades with good results. You can just pick it up at any Home Depot/Lowes, etc. (in the same asile that they sell the caulking and adhesives). Get it in a vinyl tube so that when you are done, you can seal it up and use the same tube again for years. Just spread it over the sidewall from the tread to the rim (don't be worried about getting a little on the tread or the rim, it will clean-up easily with a damp cloth, as it is water-soluable until it dries) just like you would do with Aquaseal on your 'cross tires. Unlike Aquaseal, you can just use your finger to spread the bead that you put-down on the sidewall. Obviously, you can use Aquaseal, too (I use it on my Dugast Paris-Roubaix), but it is 'stiffer' and probably heavier than latex, too.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Thanks both - Geoff I will check that out.

dj97223

by dj97223

I just thought I'd give an anecdotal report of Vittoria Mastik One longevity. I wanted to see how my C50 would look with black sidewalls versus the tan sidewall Veloflex Criteriums that I glued to my Bora 35 wheels maybe 5 years ago. (I have other bikes, so these wheels don't get ridden constantly.) I removed the Criteriums last night. The glue was holding just as strong as the day it was applied and the tubulars were very difficult to remove. The glue is not brittle at all.

In case you are wondering, my gluing method is pretty standard: stretch a new tire for a day or more at high pressure on a spare rim; use a bit of emory cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean a new rim; use a brush to apply two "very" thin coats of Mastik on a new rim edge to edge and on the base tape, allowing all but the last coat to dry for 24 hours between coats; after the final coat, wait a few minutes, inflate the tire just enough to give it shape, and mount it while stretching the tire around the rim. Pump it up a bit more. If it is uneven, lift and center. Pump it to max pressure and push roll it on the ground. Deflate and use my thumbs and light pressure to confirm there are no gaps between the base tape and rim edge that are inadequately glued. If none, pump to max pressure again, confirm the alignment is still good and let it sit for 24 hours before riding. Having a beer or two during this process seems to help.

I will give the old rim a quick once-over to remove dirt or dust, but won't bother removing the old glue before mounting new tires unless there are loose/brittle or uneven chunks or thick glue buildup on the rim. Because I only used very thin coats originally, I won't see many big chunks or glue buildup. I will put two "very" thin coats on the new tire (24 hours between coats) and one very thin coat on the rim before mounting the new tire. The one coat on the rim will help activate the old glue and smooth uneven areas.

My process may be overkill and take longer than necessary -- I suspect I could use just one coat the first time rather than two -- but my anecdotal evidence is comforting that my method is effective. (I've seen the same with my other tubulars/wheels over the years). I nonetheless check occasionally how the glue is holding up by using the thumb test on a deflated tire.

Anyway, I realize I got a bit off topic, which was longevity of the glue. :beerchug:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

topt

by topt

I am new with tubulars, so I wonder do they also strech on wheels or do they stay the same ?
I will be mounting Vittoria corsa on Farsport Kaze rim that had 26mm external width, I have an option of 25 or 26mm tyres, which ones would be better ?

Geoff

by Geoff

In my experience, the Vittoria tires actually stretch quite a bit. Certainly enough to allow you to mount them pretty easily. To make the job as easy as possible, you can elect to leave them inflated on an unglued 'stretching' rim for a few days (I just store new tubulars that way, which kills two birds with one stone), though with Vittoria you can actually stretch them by hand just before you glue them up, again, in my experience.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I never feel the need to pre-stretch my vittoria tires, they go onto the rim very easily.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cveks

by cveks

Damn I did not streched enough one of my tubs and got wheel now with glue on side of the rim . What do you suggest for removing glue at side of the rim? I used Vittoria Mastik glue.

cveks

by cveks

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 pm
I never feel the need to pre-stretch my vittoria tires, they go onto the rim very easily.

Yes Vittoria are very soft and easy to mount - but they are also sensitive on punctures. Harder tires which have better puncture protection and much harder to mount and require pre-strech for at least day or two.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Mastik pro or one? Very different beasts....
BB

Coffee & carbon

Geoff

by Geoff

@cveks, assuming Vittoria Mastik One, they will clean-up very nicely with a bit of common paint thinner (mineral spirit or white spirit, depending where you are). You can also use commercial products like Goof-Off. These are all VOCs, so you should use nitrile gloves and a well-ventilated area. Make sure that you clean-up the braking surfaces after you use that stuff.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
cveks wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 am
Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Yes Vittoria are very soft and easy to mount - but they are also sensitive on punctures. Harder tires which have better puncture protection and much harder to mount and require pre-strech for at least day or two.
Harder tyres do not necessarilly have better puncture protection.
To my mind, the better equilibrium between low rolling resistance and good puncture protection can be found in tyres a la Veleoflex.
From experience I cann't run Vittoria tyres where I ride unless I'd pick only tarmac roads without gravel on them. With these Veloflex I can pretty much cover anything, even MTB and gravel roads.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cveks

by cveks

Geoff wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:05 pm
@cveks, assuming Vittoria Mastik One, they will clean-up very nicely with a bit of common paint thinner (mineral spirit or white spirit, depending where you are). You can also use commercial products like Goof-Off. These are all VOCs, so you should use nitrile gloves and a well-ventilated area. Make sure that you clean-up the braking surfaces after you use that stuff.
I used exactly that and cleaned glue on side of the wheel! Thank you!

cveks

by cveks

beanbiken wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 am

It was Vittoria Mastik One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

cveks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm
beanbiken wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 am

It was Vittoria Mastik One.
:thumbup: . Easy.... then as above, which I’m sure you have already done :) With the Mastik pro (which I have given up on) prevention is 1000 times better than cure. I never found a successful way to clean the fresh excess glue from the brake tracks. Better to mask things off until set. Trying the Caden Wheel’s 3M tape at the moment..... :unbelievable:
BB

Coffee & carbon