Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I get those buggers too. After a while plus heat exposure there will be black droplets migrating towards the thread. I am sure it is a combination of heat, drivetrain and road gunk.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I have some Maxxis Campione tubulars, and the basetape is just as bare as Continental Competition - and also as black, ideal for a good glue absorption.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:52 am
I get those buggers too. After a while plus heat exposure there will be black droplets migrating towards the thread. I am sure it is a combination of heat, drivetrain and road gunk.
Agreed. If it bugs me too much I scrape them off gently with an X-Acto knife.

Louis :)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

LouisN wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:02 am
Nothing to do with standard black Conti basetape.

LOuis :)
Do you mean the black tape is coated, or some different, less absorbent fabric?

LouisN

by LouisN

Well, ... kind of both I guess.
In either case regular Conti basetape will absorb half the glue compared to what I experienced with the Pro LTD ALX.
NOt that I ever rolled a regular tub or had any problems, just an observation.
I'll check on the tubs next week to see how they did, they are in Europe right now for a 2 week "trainee" camp, under a 51 kg girl :mrgreen: .

Louis :)

biwa

by biwa

A question about humidity/weather impact on tubular tires/glue, if I live in a humid, warm, and coastal environment, do I need to take extra care for storing and gluing tires? What will such an environment do to tire/rim adherence?

Geoff

by Geoff

@biwa, I have never noticed anything untoward whenever I travel to tropical climes with tubular wheels with respect to the tire-rim bond. Having said that, tubulars are definitely susceptable to sidewall and basetape rot and mould growth when they get really wet (it happens in dry climates when you ride in the rain alot, too. That is why we use Acquaseal on 'cross tires. I have recently glued-up a 'new' set of Dugast seta 27s on Bontragers and decided to put Acquaseal on those, so I could ride them in the winter.

biwa

by biwa

Geoff wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm
@biwa, I have never noticed anything untoward whenever I travel to tropical climes with tubular wheels with respect to the tire-rim bond. Having said that, tubulars are definitely susceptable to sidewall and basetape rot and mould growth when they get really wet (it happens in dry climates when you ride in the rain alot, too. That is why we use Acquaseal on 'cross tires. I have recently glued-up a 'new' set of Dugast seta 27s on Bontragers and decided to put Acquaseal on those, so I could ride them in the winter.
Thanks. I don't mean the effects on adherence after the tires are glued (possibly elsewhere, like you did), am more interested in what happens if you have tubulars stored as well as glued in that sort of environment in the first place.

Interesting idea of Aquaseal, do you apply it on the tires after or before your apply the glue?

Geoff

by Geoff

The longest that I have ever had to 'endure' a tropical climate is 20 days, or so, so probably not the best reference point. I know a lot of people that live in the tropics and ride tubular tires and they have never even mentioned any issues with wheel storage and humidity.

I used to ride in the rain, snow and sleet a lot when I was racing. I used to use liquid latex to 'seal' the sidewalls and the basetape to prevent them from absorbing salty water from the roads. That worked pretty well. Today, we just use Acquaseal. To apply it, just wait until the tubular rim glue has cured-up well then apply it to the sidewall and basetape between the tread and the rim bed. I don't typically do road tires, but I did apply it to a set of Dugast seta 27s that I just glued-up in preparation for winter.

themidge

by themidge

Quick question, is it okay to use a 21mm tub on a 23 or 25mm rim as a get-me-home spare?

Singular

by Singular

themidge wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:42 pm
Quick question, is it okay to use a 21mm tub on a 23 or 25mm rim as a get-me-home spare?
Yep.

ChristianB

by ChristianB

I am looking into glueing up my first pair of tubulars and have decided for Vittoria Corsa G2 tires. The rims are Bora Ultra II. So, I am digesting my way through this entire thread, but it is veeeeery long (I am at page 81), so apologies if this has been debated until death. Also search function is note very helpful fro this particular matter. So: Mastik Pro Rim Glue (https://www.bike24.com/p2215896.html) or Mastik'one Professional Tubular Cement (https://www.bike24.com/p295857.html) ?
Pro's and con's for a first timer?

Thanks

Geoff

by Geoff

I still prefer the 'old standby': Vittoria Mastik One. Back 'in the day' we used Clement for years, then I discovered Vittoria Mastick One and never looked back. It is tried-and-true in all conditions. I use it for road, track, 'cross and MTB. I have not seen anything that would make me change glues yet.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
Geoff wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 pm
I still prefer the 'old standby': Vittoria Mastik One. Back 'in the day' we used Clement for years, then I discovered Vittoria Mastick One and never looked back. It is tried-and-true in all conditions. I use it for road, track, 'cross and MTB. I have not seen anything that would make me change glues yet.
@Geoff: Have you tried the new Mastik Pro yet ? The packaging of the satchels sucks but otherwise it's a great rim cement.

On a personal note, it's been a few years since I've posted here. I hope all is well at your end.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Hi All - long time. I'm hoping the WW tubular wizards can help me out with a sad situation.

So I have been 'aging' a set of beautiful FMB service course tubs in my non conditioned garage. I live in Vancouver BC Canada so there are significant temperature swings in the space ie -5C to +35C through the year. Further, I had hung these from a hook close to the roof/ceiling where temps would get high in the summer. Yes - they should have been in my house/basement.

I recently discovered the below situation which appears to be running of adhesive/cracking on the sidewall of the casing. My best guess is excessively warm summer temps in the garage casued drying of the caseing and melting of the tread adhesive? Can this be repaired/corrected? I am going to feel terrible if these beautiful tires are ruined. I have put them my house 20degC to see what happens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com