Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Zipp is certainly playing it safe. They might as well tell you to rinse with warm water. Then laugh when they hang up the phone.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

sungod wrote:if you are looking for the carogna glue remover in usa, try this place...
https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Carogna-Re ... p_508.html
That’s funny because when my order from amazon arrived it was from this seller Cantitoeroad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i saw they are one of the importers/distributors for usa

for other countries, might be worth asking via the online form to see who is the local distributor (see lower down the page)
https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produ ... a-remover/

Geoff

by Geoff

@Calnago, acetone is not 'next to useless', it is completely useless. You do not need to use a 'special' solvent. Regular paint thinner works really well. If you have aome stubborn parta, Goof-Off is more aggressive and will blow through almost everything. After many decades of gluing tubulars, I have never had a problem with those products harming any rim in any way.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I do like acetone for one thing... and that is to clean the final residue or remaining oils away just before gluing, be it from the light sanding on a new rim or after removing glue etc with a product. I’ve tried paint thinner, mineral spirits, citrus products, Kleen-strip adhesive remover, Goo-Gone, Goof-Off... none of which work anywhere close to something like Schwalbes Tubular Glue Remover. And I’m hoping this tube of Effetto Mariposa’s product that I’ve got under lock and key works well too, but I haven’t tried it yet. Like Elaine (Seinfeld) with her sponges, I’m waiting for a glue removal job that is truly “sponge worthy”.
Big thanks to @Sungod if that Effetto Mariposa source link turns out to be a reliable supplier of the stuff in North America.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Kurets

by Kurets

Does anyone have an opinion on gluing on-top of Tufo tape residue? I have a pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ tyres which have previously been mounted to a pair of rims using Tufo tape. When removed from the rim most of the tape came off with the tyre and the thick translucent part of the tape could be peeled away from the tyre. What is left is a thin white sticky fabric like tape. I remember seeing the same type of residue on a pair of wheels for cyclocross that I bought, it was removable using paint thinner, something which I don't want to put on a fresh pair of tyres.

Jaspero

by Jaspero

Hi new here and new to tubulars. Ive read almost everything about glueing.
felt confident enough to start this evening and just applied the first glue layer (Vittoria Mastik one) Started with a small brush but switched to using my finger.

if i missed a few spots here and there will i be able fot 'fix' this with the second and third layer of glue?

Thanks.

Kurets

by Kurets

Jaspero wrote:if i missed a few spots here and there will i be able fot 'fix' this with the second and third layer of glue?
Yes, but I would advise looking tgr rims over and putting a bit of glue where you missed right away. That wsy you ensure a consistent thickness.

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. I think that you can benefit from more layers of glue than the 'conventional' wisdom says, anyway.

@Kurets, I would recommend that you get that tape residue off the rim before using a conventional glue.

Kurets

by Kurets

Geoff wrote:@Kurets, I would recommend that you get that tape residue off the rim before using a conventional glue.
Tape residue is on the tyre, and I don't really see a way to get it off without resorting to solvents. Something which I don't think is a good idea on tyres with latex inner tubes.

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Ahh. Agreed. Save and except only having the basetape removed and a new one installed, there is nothing you can do about that.

Jaspero

by Jaspero

So, first wheel done. Letting it rest now for a day. Had to put some glue on the sides as it didnt stick at a few spots. Lets see.
Put the first layer on front wheel, more attention dor the sides of the rimbed.
Startet with a brush but i found spreading the glue with my finger worked better. Did not ised a glove or plastic.
As for putting the tire on, went ok. Centering was a bit sketchy but when rotating not much wobble.

Im already hooked on glueing tubs :-)

Geoff

by Geoff

Good job. Nothin' to it!

Jaspero

by Jaspero

Thanks Geoff.
Fornt wheel was more of a hassle. Did not align wel, couldnt correct. So took the tire off put some extra glue on tape and rim and put the tire back.
I am a bit nervous now. Have a race in a week and want to know they are safely on the rim :)

Geoff

by Geoff

It sounds pretty good to me. Once you let it cure, take some air out of it and try to push it off with your thumbs. I'm betting you'll find it is really solidly attached to the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com