Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PinaRene

by PinaRene

ReactiveE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am
Do you mean give the water on the wet glued tyre?
Yeah , I do the same thing for a few years now, but also wet the rims before gluing. Even made a youtube of this :smartass:

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 pm
Well, I use Vittoria Mastik One and I find that one thin layer on the rim, and one thin layer on the base tape... then set aside overnight to cure... Next day: one more thin layer on the rim to make it easier to mount and straighten provides a super strong bond. It's contact cement... activated by pressure. It's why you can carry around a preglued tire all folded up and it doesn't become stuck together so bad that you can't unfold it to mount. But when you try to remove it after it's been inflated and ridden on, it's surprising just how strong a bond has been created. It just needs a layer to bond to on each surface. Any more layers than that is just building up an unnecessary bed of thickness inbetween the tire and rim, and in the event it does get super overheated... too much glue when softened could create a squishy pool of soft glue for the tire to rub around on. That's not what I want. As it is, it still takes me a good 15 minutes to remove a tire glued that way, short of ripping it off and risking pulling some carbon fiber away in the process... not a good removal method to use on carbon rims. Just follow the instructions that Vittoria outlines for it's Mastik One and you'll be fine, better than fine. I've experimented with more layers, and the bond is no better, and arguably worse if things get really hot for the reason I just described. As for rolling resistance... well, you be the judge, I'm sure less is more in that regard but really...
Yesterday one thin layer of mastik one professional on the rim and base tape,the tape was dry at one minute so i give a second layer on it,after 10 hours i take one thin layer on the rim,give a little water on the tire and mount it
After 24 hours i can take the tire easy from the rim(tire is a vittoria)
Whats going wrong??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnrho

by johnrho

Pinguin wrote:Yesterday one thin layer of mastik one professional on the rim and base tape,the tape was dry at one minute so i give a second layer on it,after 10 hours i take one thin layer on the rim,give a little water on the tire and mount it
Whats going wrong??
Did you inflate the tubular? It’s contact cement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinguin

by Pinguin

johnrho wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 pm
Pinguin wrote:Yesterday one thin layer of mastik one professional on the rim and base tape,the tape was dry at one minute so i give a second layer on it,after 10 hours i take one thin layer on the rim,give a little water on the tire and mount it
Whats going wrong??
Did you inflate the tubular? It’s contact cement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For shure,8bar,this wasnt the first tubs i glued

LouisN

by LouisN

Is it a brand new rim ? Maybe clean it first, taking off the resiues, and sanding it for better sticking properties.
QUESTION: For best glue cleaning job, is Effeto Mariposa Carogna remover efective ? I read it does the job well...

Louis:)

Pinguin

by Pinguin

LouisN wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm
Is it a brand new rim ? Maybe clean it first, taking off the resiues, and sanding it for better sticking properties.
QUESTION: For best glue cleaning job, is Effeto Mariposa Carogna remover efective ? I read it does the job well...

All this things i have done🤔

Pinguin

by Pinguin

I need 30 G. of mastik for two wheels

PinaRene

by PinaRene

LouisN wrote:

Hey Louis , Effeto Mariposa is helpfull - but still it needs a lot of elbow grease. For me it worked best after softening the glue with some petrol. ( On the Campagnolo Bora's with some old Vittoria Mastik Glue. ) See last page.

Etienne

by Etienne

Pinguin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 pm
Yesterday one thin layer of mastik one professional on the rim and base tape,the tape was dry at one minute so i give a second layer on it,after 10 hours i take one thin layer on the rim,give a little water on the tire and mount it
Whats going wrong??
I don't know if that could be an explanation ... but in my experience, some tubulars may need 2 coats of glue on the tire because the glue is absorbed but the cotton tape.

On Veloflex tubulars, the tape is latex (I guess) coated so the glue stays more outside and a good single coat can be sufficient ... but on some other tires, I recently glued Conti Competition ProLtd for instance, the cotton tape is thicker and non coated, then 2 coats are necessary.

Just my 2 cents, E

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Etienne wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 am
Pinguin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 pm
Whats going wrong??
I don't know if that could be an explanation ... but in my experience, some tubulars may need 2 coats of glue on the tire because the glue is absorbed but the cotton tape.

On Veloflex tubulars, the tape is latex (I guess) coated so the glue stays more outside and a good single coat can be sufficient ... but on some other tires, I recently glued Conti Competition ProLtd for instance, the cotton tape is thicker and non coated, then 2 coats are necessary.

Just my 2 cents, E
Thanks
But i take two thin layers on the tire(with no time between because the mastik was so fast dry)
Mayby a bad charge of mastik

1415chris

by 1415chris

PinaRene wrote:
LouisN wrote:

Hey Louis , Effeto Mariposa is helpfull - but still it needs a lot of elbow grease. For me it worked best after softening the glue with some petrol. ( On the Campagnolo Bora's with some old Vittoria Mastik Glue. ) See last page.
The amount of required elbow grease probably would depend on how much of Eeffeto Mariposa is in use. I found that one layer of EM is not enough to make the rim glue free completely. I went through 3 cycles applying EM, every time leaving rim for a couple of hours to let the EM works the glue. Every time removing worked through old glue with the ease.
One tube of EM was enough to clean two wheels.

KCookie

by KCookie

I find the Schwable glue remover to be the best, just seems difficult to get in certain countries. Definitely worth trying to get some.

LouisN

by LouisN

ANybody ever watched this technique :o ? I though "what a mess" by looking at the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEfM_ySzKOM
What's that glue brand ? Looks like it's water washable... ??

LOuis :)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Vittoria Mastik Pro, can see the packet in the background. What I am currently using but haven't need to remove a tire as yet. I like it but it is a s##t to clean off while wet. To me the mech makes it look F'n easy........ and no solvents needed to remove the old glue from the rim. Now that can't be bad. :)
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

Agree the mechanic does make it look easy, but it is a bitch to remove. I used Schwalbe glue remove 3 times left on for quite a while, plus goof off and finally acetone.
The plus side being water based the tyre is easier to align and its light, half the weight of Vittoria Mastic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com