Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
cheapvega

by cheapvega

I got Tufo S3s I'm looking to mount. They are putting up a good fight. Any tips?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ico

by ico

Just start from the valve and stretch around the rim.. They are not the nicest ride, but bombproof.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I got the front on. My thumbs are killing me. Only thing I messed up is some of the tape is sticking out by the valve. I'll do better on the back. Tufo tape added 65g :(

ico

by ico

I'm not sure what you mean with "tape si sticking out by the vavle" without picture, but be careful with the tape job. It is the most important part.

KCookie

by KCookie

cheapvega wrote:I got the front on. My thumbs are killing me. Only thing I messed up is some of the tape is sticking out by the valve. I'll do better on the back. Tufo tape added 65g :(
I take it 65g is for both wheels, which is bang on. I've been using Tufo tape for a few years now and mine are usually around 32g per wheel.

That was up until a few weeks ago. I purchased some tape from Caden wheels in Sydney. Each roll does 6 wheels and was only $30 delivered, absolute bargain, with each wheel only adding 9g.
That's lighter than glue and only takes a few minutes with no mess at all and ready to ride immediately.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

cheapvega

by cheapvega

That was just for the front wheel unless I am goofing the math or forgot the wheel weight. I'll measure again when I do the rear

Should have asked about tapes beforehand.....................

velov

by velov

KCookie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:08 am

That was up until a few weeks ago. I purchased some tape from Caden wheels in Sydney. Each roll does 6 wheels and was only $30 delivered, absolute bargain, with each wheel only adding 9g.
That's lighter than glue and only takes a few minutes with no mess at all and ready to ride immediately.

Is Caden's tape similar to Effetto? Also have you had to do a roadside switch with a spare yet? Wondering if the the tape remains bedded to the rim and if it's tacky enough to hold a spare safely...

KCookie

by KCookie

velov wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:08 am

Is Caden's tape similar to Effetto? Also have you had to do a roadside switch with a spare yet? Wondering if the the tape remains bedded to the rim and if it's tacky enough to hold a spare safely...
I've never used Effetto so can't compare the two.
Yes I've had to change the tyre on a few occasions.
The tape normally comes off with the tyre but does leave a sticky residue.
I always carry a spare pre glued tyre which seems to do the job well.

velov

by velov

KCookie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:57 am

Thanks mate, I'm on the cusp of buying a tubular wheelset so just gathering info. Need to find the most compact way of carrying the spare tub...

KCookie

by KCookie

velov wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:57 am

Thanks mate, I'm on the cusp of buying a tubular wheelset so just gathering info. Need to find the most compact way of carrying the spare tub...
No problem.
I carry a Tufo 160g tyre.
Rolls up nice and small.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Bring a very small bottle of sealant (I use Orange sealant) and try it first when you get a puncture; it works for me 90% of the time and allow me to continue using the tire again and again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

velov

by velov

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 am
Bring a very small bottle of sealant (I use Orange sealant) and try it first when you get a puncture; it works for me 90% of the time and allow me to continue using the tire again and again.

Does Orange Seal work decently well on butyl tubes as well? I'm thinking of starting with Conti Sprinter or Competition tubs.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sorry I can't say for sure because my vittoria tires have latex inner tubes, but I don't see why not, never heard of it working for one but not the other so it's definitely worth trying!

KCookie

by KCookie

Kayrehn wrote:Bring a very small bottle of sealant (I use Orange sealant) and try it first when you get a puncture; it works for me 90% of the time and allow me to continue using the tire again and again.

Total agree.
Orange seal does wonders and has saved me having to change the tyre quite a few times.
Went neary 18 months without a puncture then 6 in the last three weeks.
Unfortunately orange seal didn't work on this puncture. ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Ouch I feel your pain...