Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rawka

by rawka

Thanks for your reply,

so it is ok to apply glue over the top of the glue that looks white and a bit stringy?

Yes I stretched the tyres on the rim before, it was so hard to get the tub onto the rim, a lot of swearing was involved! It's much easier after I left them on the rim for a few days at 140psi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i never used the conti glue, but i would think if you put another coat on and work it in with the brush over these areas it will be ok

fwiw majority online opinion is that vittoria is the best glue, there was also some test data showing comparison that supported this, i think someone here posted that even on conti sponsored teams the mechanics use it, but just put it in an anonymous container!

this is the test, quite old now though, maybe formulations have changed

http://kuktl.dept.ku.edu/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

rawka

by rawka

ok.

Yea I did read that article, I think in section 5 it seems to show the conti has the best strength after 100 hours cure time. I'm not saying conti is best as my experience is limited, I just found a lot conflicting information from various sources and picked one!

rawka

by rawka

So I applied a second layer to the tub and then a third before mounting. I didn't get the tension correct at first so struggled with getting the last part of the tub on, at first I thought it was just a case of tight conti tubs so I struggled for 5 mins or so. Then I pulled the tub off, it was well stuck in places! And I re fitted while making sure I pulled it tight. I got the tub on and straightened it up, which required me to break the bond in a few areas to adjust the tub. It's running ok now IMO. But the question for me is now - as I have broken the bond a few times will this mean I have a weak bond or is it normally ok as it's still not dried? Sorry for noob questions, I don't know anybody who is a tub user and none of the guides seem to supply any information covering this area.

sungod

by sungod

typically tub glue will bond under pressure ever after it is 'dry'

dj97223

by dj97223

I don't know anything about Continental glue, but Mastik could not have cured in that short amount of time. That is why you have to wait the required 12 or 24 hours before riding. In other words, no problem.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

rawka

by rawka

Ok thanks guys. I don't think it cured (at least conti don't say it will) in that time, but it did stick well though so was nervous after having to apply quite some force to move the tyre after!

parajba

by parajba

[OT] Just checking in, haven't seen fdgrove in a while, I hope all is well! [End of OT]

sungod

by sungod

i'd been thinking the same, and echo the sentiment!

rawka

by rawka

I checked my glue job today and it's thrown up another question. In all the tub looks to be glued on really well except there's one inch or so on either side (not directly opposite) that will lift by a mm or so when I apply force to it. What's the best practice for sections like this? Do I need to rip it off and go again? Or is it fairly normal?

dj97223

by dj97223

Can you post a pic?
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

addictR1

by addictR1

Can you use squeeze some more glue in their after you lift it up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rawka

by rawka

I can try and take a pic but as it's such small movement you may not see anything.

It would be difficult to put glue in such a small gap. I'm not sure it's possible.

dj97223

by dj97223

If it is too small to photograph, then I'm guessing it is too small to worry about.

Are you saying that the gap is at the edge only? If so, you "could" add a bit of glue if you want. Deflate the tire. Push the gap open. Apply a bit of glue to the rim and the base tape using a small screwdriver or somesuch. Do this carefully, or you will make a mess. Hold the gap open for 10 minutes or so. Close the gap. Inflate fully. Ride without worry.

rawka

by rawka

ok thanks. When I deflate the tyre and move it slightly I can hear like a cracking noise which I assume is the glue? Is it a bad thing to make it do this?

Thanks for your help guys, I'm almost over my paranoia!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com