Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
addictR1

by addictR1

KCookie wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 pm
1415chris wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:50 pm
In that case I'd open it up, sew it up and apply a patch from inside to support the stitching. And if the inner tube is compromised, you can patch it up as well in one go.
Wouldn't have a clue where to start or how to do it, and to be honest wouldn't want to do it. I would fail badly. 😁
I could see if there's anyone in oz that can fix it, or just bin it.
i'm pretty good a sewing and did that before on my veloflex sprinter :) so might be worth a try.. just not sure if the patch from inside + neoprene contact cement outside woudl be enough.

addictR1

by addictR1

Ok repair failed. Tried to patch the inner tube up using Park tire patch, but the tufo extreme will leak out once it’s pumped making the patch no longer sticky.

Any other ways to patch the inner tube?

The outside using neoprene contact cement worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

I hope it wasn't Park Tool self adhesive patch? On the subject, they are garbage and if enyone is thinking of patching the tube properly should stay away from them.
I use Rema cement with latex patches cut from old Vredestein tube. The only thing I do before applying glue is to clean repaired tube section and the patch itself with some alcohol based cosmetic stuff.

Rema cement

addictR1

by addictR1

thank you chris!! yes it's those self adhesive patch. will pick up the rema now.. :)

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone know where i can buy a bigger bottle of Tufo Extreme Sealant in US? i searched and it's all in the small bottles. i already have some small bottles, so was hoping to buy a bigger bottle to refill (more cost effective)?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bigger bottles of this sealants do not exist because the sealant tends to harden inside the container once it has been opened up.
IOW, oxygen tends to solidify the sealant.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

addictR1

by addictR1

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Bigger bottles of this sealants do not exist because the sealant tends to harden inside the container once it has been opened up.
IOW, oxygen tends to solidify the sealant.

Cheers, ;)
Interesting.. perhaps that only applies to Tufo sealant? Orange seal and Stans all come in big bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutty

by nutty

Hi all,
I installed these new pair of Conti Sprinter (butyl tube) and rode 20km before getting a flat. upon inspection, air leaks from the base of the valve. Should I try add some sealant to see if I could salvage it? Bought it as spares a year+ ago, so not possible to ask the reseller for help..

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

nutty wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 am

Hi all,
I installed these new pair of Conti Sprinter (butyl tube) and rode 20km before getting a flat. upon inspection, air leaks from the base of the valve. Should I try add some sealant to see if I could salvage it? Bought it as spares a year+ ago, so not possible to ask the reseller for help..
I had a similar issue with a vittoria tubular and was not able to salvage it with sealant. ymmv

LouisN

by LouisN

That's the weak spot for tubulars. IMO many ways to cause leaks there. And usually nothing to do but bin the tub :( :
1) Installing the tubular poorly, with lateral pressure on the valve, and eventually create a hole.
2) Forcing, twisting the valve sideways when inflating...
3) HItting a pothole, or big crack with the valve facing down.

Louis :)

WinterRider

by WinterRider

LouisN wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 am
That's the weak spot for tubulars. IMO many ways to cause leaks there. And usually nothing to do but bin the tub :( :
1) Installing the tubular poorly, with lateral pressure on the valve, and eventually create a hole.
2) Forcing, twisting the valve sideways when inflating...
3) HItting a pothole, or big crack with the valve facing down.

Louis :)
I've salvaged a few inner tubes using Super Glue products. See no reason wouldn't work for tub valves... 2nd application for strength helps. Degrease well before applying.... acetone.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

nutty

by nutty

Realized the 1st photo wasn't shown in my inital post..
20190729_081016.jpg

3Pio

by 3Pio

Seem that my turn to post in this topic... Today had a sice cut puncture on almost new Continental Competition (only 200 km rode on this tire :( , and i have never ever own a tire that lasted this little km's, but i guess bad luck (or very gentle sidewalls) )

Seem that Continental's have very vulnerable sidewalls..

Last week had sidecut on Continental 4000 SII (it was not still punctured and fix the hole with superglue..But considering unsafe i replaced), but this was on 5000 km, so ok..

But Competiton just 200 km (at least i really liked this tire in that 200 km's ).. .And very strange how this puncture happened.. Fast ride today, i stopped to tap watter and when i start braking hisssssssss.. I thought first that is the rear one (Continental Sprinter more then 2000 km on which i had puncture two months ago, and put it Tufo Extreme Sealant), but bad luck..It was not rear Sprinter, but Competition.. Tried to fix with Tufo Sealant but failed (maybe i made mistake that i did not get with me brand new bottle, but one that i used two months ago, but shaked very well)...

So lucky that i had my spare Tufo tub which bring me home (25-30 km's from home)

So what are my option considering Competition are almost new?

1. Should i try brand new Tufo Extreme Sealant (now when i pump some higher pressure, let's say more then 4 bar, Tufo dont hold pressure anymore)

In meanwhile i put some pressure, put the tire with hole beeing down so will try again tommorow

2. Should i send for repair or try to reapair my self with unstiching base tape, then i unstiching tire and to try to replace iner tube and to put inside patch of the sidewall?

3. Just bin it?

This is how puncture look like:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thats a write off...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

3Pio wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:31 pm
Seem that my turn to post in this topic... Today had a sice cut puncture on almost new Continental Competition (only 200 km rode on this tire :( , and i have never ever own a tire that lasted this little km's, but i guess bad luck (or very gentle sidewalls) )

Seem that Continental's have very vulnerable sidewalls..

Last week had sidecut on Continental 4000 SII (it was not still punctured and fix the hole with superglue..But considering unsafe i replaced), but this was on 5000 km, so ok..

But Competiton just 200 km (at least i really liked this tire in that 200 km's ).. .And very strange how this puncture happened.. Fast ride today, i stopped to tap watter and when i start braking hisssssssss.. I thought first that is the rear one (Continental Sprinter more then 2000 km on which i had puncture two months ago, and put it Tufo Extreme Sealant), but bad luck..It was not rear Sprinter, but Competition.. Tried to fix with Tufo Sealant but failed (maybe i made mistake that i did not get with me brand new bottle, but one that i used two months ago, but shaked very well)...

So lucky that i had my spare Tufo tub which bring me home (25-30 km's from home)

So what are my option considering Competition are almost new?

1. Should i try brand new Tufo Extreme Sealant (now when i pump some higher pressure, let's say more then 4 bar, Tufo dont hold pressure anymore)

In meanwhile i put some pressure, put the tire with hole beeing down so will try again tommorow

2. Should i send for repair or try to reapair my self with unstiching base tape, then i unstiching tire and to try to replace iner tube and to put inside patch of the sidewall?

3. Just bin it?

This is how puncture look like:
I managed to damage a Conti Comp on the first ride. Used sealant and Co2, weirdest thing, the sealant started to bubble almost 360 degree.
A buddy picked me up in his car, bringing a compressor. It didn't work at all. Went home to his house using a large compressor.
It just bubbled and bubbled all around the tire (360 degree).
I don't know why this happened. Now i realize, riding tubulars means bringing a spare tire and a Co2 cartridge.
It's not funny being stranded far from home along the rode. A taxi ride would cost alot!!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com