Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Anyone know of any tubular repair info? I have to give this a try, as I have several tubulars with good tread left.

I was hoping I could do a localized repair. Just try and pull off about 6 to 8 inches of tire off the rim, separate the base tape and then cut the thread to open the tire and patch the tube.

I may need to boot the tire as well.

What kind of thread and needle and how to patch a latex tube as well as boot the tire should cover most aspects of repair. Thanks for any help on the subject.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Bridgeman, excuse me for saying this, but this has been asked before for a couple of times. have you tried the search option yet? Please put some time into it as you will learn more of the tubbies and in the end you will come out wiser.

Also, trie to google 'how to repair a tubular'.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

A tubular repair tutorial thread would be a nice addition to this forum.
Waiting for fdegrove to chime in :thumbup:

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Frankie, Sorry, I did do a search, but didn't find information regarding the items needed for the repair, and I also was hoping to find a video as well, but haven't anything that's helpful. Hence the request.

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

http://www.tirealert.com/

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

No need to search here. There's a web site called google. If you put in "tubular tire repair", it will tell you everything you need to know. well, except that it's not worth repairing the tire yourself. Send it to Ron at tire alert. $25 and you get a new tube. I've tried repairing them myself. Good luck finding what you need. And even if you do find it, getting the stitching lined up is a pain. I got halfway around a tire once and realized I'd miss aligned the stitching, so the tire wasn't on the tube straight. Yeah, that's frustrating. Definitely worth the $25 to save yourself an afternoon of cussing and the headache that goes along with it.

TB

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Using the google argument, you can use google for all the topics posted here.
I thought the appeal of this forum is the quality of technical expertise and experiences to be shared.
There is no specific thread or detailed information on tubular repair, but tons of thread on much more useless stuff which has nothing to do with parts/technical info.
Makes me wonder why this question is getting the shove off.

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

I usually google my questions first, then check here, realizing that WW is much more specialized than most web sites would be.

TB

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I use a Velox needle & thread. Easy to get online from DotBike

I cut my patches as required from an old green latex innertube (from a Vittoria CX or soemthing I think). No roughening/sanding of anything, just rub a bit of acetone on both surfaces to clean before applying cement and fix patch in the usual way. Has never failed yet. Completely pointless buying patches, put it that way!

I use Latex solution to stick basetape down or Copydex works just as well. You can use tyre sealant like Tufo etc, but it isn't quite as strong.

As for repairing while still on rim, forget it, you'll never be able to keep it inside out while you repair it.

MasterOMayhem

by MasterOMayhem

tirealert guys are fast. do a nice job,

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bridgeman wrote:Anyone know of any tubular repair info? I have to give this a try, as I have several tubulars with good tread left.

I was hoping I could do a localized repair. Just try and pull off about 6 to 8 inches of tire off the rim, separate the base tape and then cut the thread to open the tire and patch the tube.

I may need to boot the tire as well.

What kind of thread and needle and how to patch a latex tube as well as boot the tire should cover most aspects of repair. Thanks for any help on the subject.

Let me tell you straight away that what you're wanting to try won't work or at least it will be so hard you'll want to remove the tubular from its rim at some point anyhow.

On the materials side you'll need:

Some cotton or silk yarn.
I use dental floss from Johnson & Johnson (?), the flat one which is very strong and since it's waxed it's easy to pull through the existing holes.

A pair of scissors.

A needle that fits through the existing holes. You don't want to widen those any more than strictly necessary.
A straight needle works fine but a hook shaped one is easier to work with.

A latex patch that you rounded so it does not present any sharp edges. Those edges tend to curl making for a small irregularity which may be the cause of your next puncture.
Make it as small as need be.

Patching cement, basically this is rubber cement as used to patch butyl inner tubes. Just make sure it bonds latex as well. Not all of them do.
Cleaning alcohol to clean the punctured area so the cement sticks to the latex properly.

Cement to reglue the the base tape back on. Barge cement if you can get it if not I use carpet layers' latex based glue.

A piece of old tubular rim is not really needed but it's very handy to have around as it allows for a support while your base tape reglue job is drying.

Bring lots of patience too. :lol:

Sounds daunting? :shock:

Let me tell you it's not as difficult as it sounds but it does take some care to get the stitching right and putting the base tape where you want it isn't always easy either.
In general, the better quality tyres are the easiest to fix.
The real challenge is to repair without anyone able to tell: pull the stitches too tight or too loose and your tyre is not going to end up round.

I'll see what I can dig up from the forum's archives and complete it if needed but this matter has indeed been discussed before albeit it quite some time ago.

In all honesty, I rarely ever resort to thread and needle anymore. Only if the tubular is brandnew and very valuable I would repair it the "old" way.
With the advent of liquid latex repair a la Tufo things have become much easier. Once you get the hang of it, it's mostly just a matter of pouring in the right amount for the job and be done with it.

Still, if you guys want any do's and don'ts, or even some sort of tutorial I'm willing to help out.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

boysa

by boysa

Will TireAlert use latex tubes?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

boysa wrote:Will TireAlert use latex tubes?

Normally they'd use a butyl inner tube but I suppose you can send your own.

There's also some gentleman in the UK who does this kind of repair work. I must have his details somewhere in my archives...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

@ boysa - I think in the previous thread where tirealert was mentioned (i searched on this topic for a while, some time ago whilst debating tubs for training) it was stated tirealert use butyl, but if you send your own latex tube then they will pop that in for you instead.

Prolly worth emailing them to check.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Assuming you have opened up the tire and patched it, how do you go about it exactly to stitch it back up and get the basetape aligned properly ? Glue first, then stitch it up ?