Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
campagowlo

by campagowlo

I have a veloflex carbon that had a slow leak last year. Replaced the valve core as I thought that was the cause and it wasn’t. Experimented with maxalami sealant, it now holds air very well. Will fold it and use it as a spare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Up until now I had not heard of Maxalami sealant and reading the product description on R2Bike I’m not sure if it is or isn’t latex based. I do know that if it is and you fold it to use as a spare the inner tube will glue together making it unusable.....
BB

Coffee & carbon

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's why I like Caffeelatex so much. You can deflate the treated tubular and it won't make the latex inner tube stick together.
All in all it works very well for me.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

It says artificial latex on the bottle - so I will soon see if it sticks or not......

KCookie

by KCookie

Last week I got a puncture in a Vittoria corsa speed, only a small hole but it wouldn't seal. Changed the tyre on the side of the road so I to get home. The following day I tried inflating and now air was leaking from the base of the valve.
I must have damaged it whilst rolling it up tightly to get it back in the saddle bag.
Is there any way I could fix the tyre or could it be professionally fixed.
Tyre has only done a few hundred km.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

atakaoka

by atakaoka

KCookie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am
Last week I got a puncture in a Vittoria corsa speed, only a small hole but it wouldn't seal. Changed the tyre on the side of the road so I to get home. The following day I tried inflating and now air was leaking from the base of the valve.
I must have damaged it whilst rolling it up tightly to get it back in the saddle bag.
Cheers

If it's latex inner tube you'll be able to change the valve.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

3Pio

by 3Pio

I have two questions on same topic:

1. Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

I bought few tires at once 3 years ago, and slowly using them.. But from 5 tires i bought 2-3 have problems on valve steam part.. Valve steam separate from tire and of course air deflating.. One of those tires returned back and got refund... 2 of them used them putting extra glue around valve stem...

But on one of them, while riding again valve stem got separated and i got a quick flat (lucky i was on tubulars so did not lost any control of the bike and i brake totaly normaly, but ok.. Slow speed)..

So since this tire is almost new, how to fix this? I did not put any sealant inside i just replaced with spare tubuluar i had to get home.. Do i have to replace whole inner tube? (it's not worth to send to service doing this, since shipping forth and back will be more expensive than new brand tubular tire)

2. Tufo Elite Jet <135 gm....

While we are at my spare tires, i had to use it few days ago and got a small puncture... The hole is really tinny, but definetely leak air fast... Is there any way to fix this based on Tufo specific construction?

Thanks a lot

Geoff

by Geoff

To clarify, are you saying that the valve stem has pulled-away from the innertube at the junction? If so, I have heard of that sort of failure in the past (typically, it is caused by the tire not being seated with the valve stem perfectly centred through the rim, which is why we harp on that alignment so much during the initial instalation), but have never seen it happen. That sounds like it would be a catastrophic failure that cannot be reliably repaired without the replacement of the tube (which relpacement can be done by third-party service-providers). That might be your best choice, especially if the tires are otherwise in good condition.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Geoff wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:27 pm
To clarify, are you saying that the valve stem has pulled-away from the innertube at the junction? If so, I have heard of that sort of failure in the past (typically, it is caused by the tire not being seated with the valve stem perfectly centred through the rim, which is why we harp on that alignment so much during the initial instalation), but have never seen it happen. That sounds like it would be a catastrophic failure that cannot be reliably repaired without the replacement of the tube (which relpacement can be done by third-party service-providers). That might be your best choice, especially if the tires are otherwise in good condition.
Yes.. Im saying exactly what u understund.. To be sure 100% that alignment is correct i even use Zip Ties all around after initial installation and beeing 100% sure for proper alignment.. Strange thing, that this happened only to one Batch of tires of Corsa G+, and all beeing black not tanned walls.. I did not have this problem with any other tubular tire until now, even same brand/model but different batch... Thanks for reply... Since it's just one tire and thirt-party service provider is far way (different coutnry), which will mean expensive shipping, birocracy, delay because of Covid, maybe will try to fix it my self replacing the inner tube.. Im sure i wont be able to make it even more unsable that it is now :) Thanks again

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

"maybe will try to fix it my self replacing the inner tube.. "

That's alot of work and IMHO not worth the hassle unles you have tons of experience with it.

Cheers, ;)

3Pio

by 3Pio

fdegrove wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 pm
Hi,

"maybe will try to fix it my self replacing the inner tube.. "

That's alot of work and IMHO not worth the hassle unles you have tons of experience with it.

Cheers, ;)
Comletely understund this.. But what what will be as worst thing than it is now? Just some time lost :) (and chance to learn new).. Best thing that can happen? To have my tire back on road, and to have new skills learned.. And experience regarding this, has to start somewhere :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I admire your spirit. :)

Cheers, ;)

Supersix56

by Supersix56

KCookie wrote:
Cheers

Just put in some sealant and you will be fine. Just put enough in to seal the hole. Spin it and make sure you keep it indoors warm vs outside in a freezing shed.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

atakaoka

by atakaoka

KCookie wrote:
Cheers

I've already had this kind of problem with Vittoria tubulars they glue few parts of the inner tube to the tire previous to sew and some times there are too much near the stem so when you push the stem to inflate the tire you can open a hole in the inner tube.

I'm with fdegrove. Probably change the inner tube. Will be a good learning.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atakaoka

by atakaoka

3Pio wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:58 am
I have two questions on same topic:

1. Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

I bought few tires at once 3 years ago, and slowly using them.. But from 5 tires i bought 2-3 have problems on valve steam part.. Valve steam separate from tire and of course air deflating.. One of those tires returned back and got refund... 2 of them used them putting extra glue around valve stem...

But on one of them, while riding again valve stem got separated and i got a quick flat (lucky i was on tubulars so did not lost any control of the bike and i brake totaly normaly, but ok.. Slow speed)..

So since this tire is almost new, how to fix this? I did not put any sealant inside i just replaced with spare tubuluar i had to get home.. Do i have to replace whole inner tube? (it's not worth to send to service doing this, since shipping forth and back will be more expensive than new brand tubular tire)

2. Tufo Elite Jet <135 gm....

While we are at my spare tires, i had to use it few days ago and got a small puncture... The hole is really tinny, but definetely leak air fast... Is there any way to fix this based on Tufo specific construction?

Thanks a lot
One thing that I noticed with Vittoria tubulars is that they have to much glue on the stem area to hold the tube to the tire before see. That can cause when you push the stem to inflate the tire or damage the tube while riding.

Maybe it's time to learn how to change the tube. Is a lot of work a little difficult to perform. But once you master will became very easy to do.