Sub 1300g "everyday" clinchers. Can it be done?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
ergott

by ergott

Greg66 wrote:I was wondering that exact same question (DV46Cs v Shamal Ultras) this morning. Especially bearing in mind the price diff

I don't see the comparison. The DV46 rims are deep, aero rims. The Shamals are shallow profile rims.

-Eric

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

At 77kgs, I've put in about 3K miles over the past two seasons on my Extralite UltraClimb SP clinchers to good effect (first with Conty Force / Attack and then Schwalbe Ultremos). They're reportedly 1170-1190g for the set and Extralite isn't prone to overpromising like some companies. They spin up fast - helluva lot faster than my previous wheels that must have been related to a boat anchor somewhere along the line.

Out of the box, the spokes on the front wheel were under-tensioned. Rear wheel spokes were re-tensioned in year two. Probably trued them twice over the two years. I also adjusted the freehub once last year. Smooth sailing! I'd definitely buy them again if I weren't moving on to tubulars for the upcoming season (yes, my "replacement" tubular set is lighter!). Where else can you get 1170-1190g clincher wheelset for $1K?!

Give the poster a break! Like most of us (all of us?), he/she wants WW wheels. Everytime I start thinking about the crazy money I've dropped on my bike to save grams (just a few freaking grams at a time!) because of all the cool suggestions from this board, I have to stop because it's painful. Not everything worked out, but most have fortunately. All in all I'm still learning WW life lessons, but my bike is getting lighter in the meantime and I'm proud of that.

by Weenie

currieinahurry

by currieinahurry

has anynone tried the nimble spider rim?
tikka
:)

GrahamB

by GrahamB

tochnics wrote:i ride amc 350 rims with only 24 spokes rear at 85 kg
no flex noticed like rubbing the brake pads to the rim
but they dont feel as stiff like they give a good powertransfer but that can be my misjudgement

No, it could be quite correct. If the rim is flexible, it will flex at the bottom of the wheel where it meets the road, but won't have the strength to make the other side of the wheel move across to hit the pads. Otoh, a very stiff rim with the same spokes & hub might flex less at the bottom because it spreads the load over more spokes, but will deflect more at the opposite side of the wheel.

You can see this in the Acheteur Cycliste extract linked from the Roues Artisanales site (or in the partial translation I posted in here). The Lew wheels displaced around the same amount at the point of load as the Speedcomposites, but were much more likely to rub the pads: the other side of the wheel moved 3x as far!
Graham

lincoln

by lincoln

Well, I'm currently weighing up some options on wheels and have had these suggested to me and they're sub 1300gm at 1270gm:

- Extralite SX/SR, DT Aerolite, 24/28 on Alex R3.1/R3.2.

These seem perfectly useable to me, or is there something I'm missing?

ras11

by ras11

GrahamB wrote:
tochnics wrote:....they dont feel as stiff like they give a good powertransfer....

No, it could be quite correct. If the rim is flexible, it will flex at the bottom of the wheel where it meets the road, but won't have the strength to make the other side of the wheel move across to hit the pads. Otoh, a very stiff rim with the same spokes & hub might flex less at the bottom because it spreads the load over more spokes, but will deflect more at the opposite side of the wheel.

To further your point, I wonder how much people attribute frame/fork flex to wheel flex. Not that flex is a bad thing (unless your breaks rub).
:-) Toys-R-Us

chrism

by chrism

ras11 wrote:To further your point, I wonder how much people attribute frame/fork flex to wheel flex. Not that flex is a bad thing (unless your breaks rub).

Indeed - riding my new bike attempting to get what I thought might be a flexible rear wheel to hit the brake pads, I found it was actually my front wheel which did. That with a standard 32 spoke front which should be plenty stiff (the rear is a 24 spoke triplet, which GrahamB's analysis suggests should only be as stiff as an equivalent 13 spoke front!)
No scales on the trails

beatnik

by beatnik

lincoln wrote:Well, I'm currently weighing up some options on wheels and have had these suggested to me and they're sub 1300gm at 1270gm:

- Extralite SX/SR, DT Aerolite, 24/28 on Alex R3.1/R3.2.

These seem perfectly useable to me, or is there something I'm missing?

Bubble gum wheelset with hard rolling hubs. It doesn´t seem a good choice to ride more than 200 km per week on bad roads. But it´s light, more than any other clincher wheelset. Congrats, it´s a good choice if we are talking about hanging the bike on the scale ;)
Biomechanical spreadsheet. Sizing&Fitting.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

lincoln

by lincoln

What do you mean by 'hard rolling' hubs? My objective isn't to have something un-rideable... I was just surprised that those hubs came in at that weight.

I am also looking at the same build with Tune hubs... which are 1325... these are OK, but Extralites, aren't?

beatnik

by beatnik

I mean that these hubs aren´t low friction hubs. Make your own test with a chronometer and you will see ;)

lincoln

by lincoln

beatnik wrote:I mean that these hubs aren´t low friction hubs. Make your own test with a chronometer and you will see ;)

You've specifically referred to not travelling more than 200 miles a week on a such a build, because the hubs aren't as free? That doesn't make sense to me.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

The great thing about Extralite hubs is that they use standard, easy to find bearing sizes. So even if the invented idea that these hubs are "hard rolling" is true - it can be easily remedied (IF the problem even exists in the first place.)

I am contemplating an Extralite hub, Niobium 27mm, CX Rays build myself. My estimate is that they will come in around 1340 grams with 32 3x in the rear and 24 radial in the front.

Rear
Hub: Extralite Ultrarear 32 hole, 162
Rim: Niobium 27, 430
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray, 144
alloy nipples 10
Front
Hub: Extralite SX, 49
Rim: Niobium 27, 430
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray, 108
alloy nipples 7

beatnik

by beatnik

No, the reason for not travelling too much km. on this ws. is not the same, in that case we are talking about the quality of the rim and the number of the spokes.

Rolling quality of the hub is another question. About your question, Tune hubs are better, but for me best rolling hub is DT240.

Your ws. is a real ww one. Enjoy it and forget about lateral stiffness or the quality of the hub.

Note: Lateral stifness of these wheelset is around 30 N/mm, which is ridiculous, but who cares?

lincoln

by lincoln

I'll let you know what they're like. I'm running 240s, Tunes and Record on my other rigs... but haven't spent enough time on them yet to comment on which is smoother. I've decided to go for 24/28 CX Ray on Niobium 19mms with Tunes. We'll see how laterally stiff they are compared to the 04 Eurus I'm currently running.

Danton

by Danton

See here for some 1047g clincher wheels from Adrien at rouesartisanales, it's only in French at the moment...

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-14612824.html

by Weenie