Building wheels for a vintage bike

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Localguy

by Localguy

Hello,

This is my first post.

I have a mid 1970s Peugeot PX10, in it's day it was a light bike. Full Reynolds 531 frame and French parts (the rear derailleur was upgraded to campy neuvo record 40 years ago).

I wish to upgrade the wheels, something lighter. As reference, the rear wheel on my bike (w/o tires or freewheel) weights 1017 grams. Because I want to keep the 126 rear spacing and no one is building 126 spaced wheels currently, I will build the wheels myself and have my LBS true up my work.

On Ebay I see Campy low flange hubs that would fit my spacing, what aluminum rims, spokes and nipples do you advice.

The bike is used on flat streets and on bike paths that have very fine (very smooth) gravel, my weight is 82k (180LB).

thank you

Phil J

froze

by froze

Ebay has vintage rims you can get, including NOS rims! I would go that direction with the bike you have to keep the vintage look. Of course there are vintage hubs on Ebay as well.

Then to lighten the rim up a bit you can use DT competition spokes, and for durability use DT brass nipples, or if durability isn't a concern for you then use DT alloy nipples, but I wouldn't use those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Localguy

by Localguy

Thank you for your reply and suggestion about DT competition spokes and DT brass nipples !

I already picked up the hubs (campy record 36 hole).

The question I have is about the rims to purchase (I want to use 700c x 28 tires). Any suggestions?

Are Mavic Open Pro light and good?

Thank You Phil J

froze

by froze

Mavic Open Pro are fine wheels, the problem isn't the wheels, the problem is vintage bikes cannot take 28-size tires due to the brake calipers cannot open wide enough, and the forks being too narrow; in fact, most vintage bikes cannot even take a 25 tire! Back in those days, people were riding on 18 to 23's, and 23 was the widest. Most vintage bikes will accept a 25 on the rear but not on the front where you will need a 23.

Specialized makes an odd tire called the Roubaix Pro, it's sized as a 23 but has the volume of a 25, that tire could fit on the front; then that same model of tire has another size up, a 25/28, that one might fit on the rear. I have those tires on my 84 Fuji Club, and I staggered the sizes, and their fit just fine, but I can't say if they'll fit your bike. The Roubaix Pro is a decent tire, I haven't had any flats till the tire is almost worn out, then I might get one. I buy those tires for the Fuji because they do carry more air volume just like using a wider tire, and thus I can run the psi for the larger end size, and not higher psi to represent the beginning smaller size, that is what Specialized recommended doing because I e-mailed them about since nothing was on the packaging, so with the lower PSI they'll give you a slightly better ride quality.

If you have a Specialized dealer in town you could take the bike to them and find out if either of those sizes will fit; I'm about 95% sure that the 23/25 will fit all around, I'm only 50% sure the 25/28 will fit, and once you put them on and they don't fit no tire company will allow you to return them, so if a Specialized bike shop is nearby you can have them install the tires if they don't fit then it's on them and not you. I just don't want you to take my word on it because I haven't owned a bike made in the 70's since the 70's, and I ran that bike with tubulars which were 19 all around, and back then they didn't have 25's and above for road bikes.

Localguy

by Localguy

Hello,
My bike was orginally fitted with tubulars, so I can use 700c tires. My Mavic Racer brakes can adjust to both rim sizes. Right now I am using 1.125 inch tires that are about 28mm, so I should have clearance. But I didn't think about once I increase the rim size, I may need to get a even smaller tire. I will need to work with my bike shop on the max tire sizing.

Thank you