Roval Alpinist CLX II vs Princeton Peak for Aethos

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

justonwo wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:07 pm
I'll give the Rapid Air a go for my next set of tires. For now, I'll poke around on the Schwalbe!

Are you referring to the Specialized Turbo 2BR T2/T5? They're pretty confusing with their naming.
No, the RapidAir. Only available in black an 26c (for now).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

milanv wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm
Good choice on the wheels, not great choice on the tires when it comes to speed.
Are you kidding?
Schwalbe Pro One TLE are one of the best rolling tyres with very low resistance.
No, I am not kidding. Aerocoach has tested it 6W slower for the pair than the STR (at45kph) https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data
BRR has tested it 2W slower per tire at 29kph than the STR:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... e-tle-2020

It's not a bad tire, just not a great choice in my opinion.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

milanv

by milanv

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:18 pm
milanv wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm
Good choice on the wheels, not great choice on the tires when it comes to speed.
Are you kidding?
Schwalbe Pro One TLE are one of the best rolling tyres with very low resistance.
No, I am not kidding. Aerocoach has tested it 6W slower for the pair than the STR (at45kph) https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data
BRR has tested it 2W slower per tire at 29kph than the STR:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... e-tle-2020

It's not a bad tire, just not a great choice in my opinion.
I know these tests.
Last edited by milanv on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Which makes your comment a little questionable.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Konsi

by Konsi

TLN wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 pm
So, Rovals are lighter (a bit), wider (by much), likely to have a better warranty (Spesh stores all over the place) and are brand-specific (if you care about it). Seems like no-brainer for me.
It seems that you alreay have Pinarello with 353. Why don't you give it a try, and why can't you swap wheels between Pinarello and Aethos if it's super windy?

ps. 353 NSWs are 45mm, do you want to get extra 50mm Cadex? Seems to close depth-wise to me.
I never had to deal with Specialized warranty, but the Princeton Carbonworks service is amazing. Broke a rim (kind of a freak incident riding over a nail which split the shoulder of the rim), got an answer from the founder on a Sunday evening to my desperate mail, and will get a replacement rim for the costs of shipping.

TLN

by TLN

Konsi wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:19 pm
TLN wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 pm
So, Rovals are lighter (a bit), wider (by much), likely to have a better warranty (Spesh stores all over the place) and are brand-specific (if you care about it). Seems like no-brainer for me.
It seems that you alreay have Pinarello with 353. Why don't you give it a try, and why can't you swap wheels between Pinarello and Aethos if it's super windy?

ps. 353 NSWs are 45mm, do you want to get extra 50mm Cadex? Seems to close depth-wise to me.
I never had to deal with Specialized warranty, but the Princeton Carbonworks service is amazing. Broke a rim (kind of a freak incident riding over a nail which split the shoulder of the rim), got an answer from the founder on a Sunday evening to my desperate mail, and will get a replacement rim for the costs of shipping.
I'd expect no less, for wheels that cost $4k, compared to CLX at $2.6k
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have crashed everything you can crash from Specialized and had a manufacturing defect. They have been super forthcoming everytime.
The only time I had to deal with PCW was waiting for a set of wheels for six months, until I cancelled the order. That's in the EU though, might be better service in the states.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

"I have crashed everything you can crash from Specialized"

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Konsi

by Konsi

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:26 am
I have crashed everything you can crash from Specialized and had a manufacturing defect. They have been super forthcoming everytime.
The only time I had to deal with PCW was waiting for a set of wheels for six months, until I cancelled the order. That's in the EU though, might be better service in the states.
I am also based in Europe, sorry to hear that you had issues with the service (and no, unfortunately not paid by PCW, just in love with my wheels)

Konsi

by Konsi

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:26 am