Rear wheel creek and spoke tension

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

Gave my LB rims to my usual LBS and they assembled my wheels, just to discover that they creek a lot.

Since I've built my last pair of wheels on my own and everything went fine, I decided to see what was going on with this build, and after checking all the instructions (rims, spokes, hubs and TM-1 Park Tool spoke tension meter), I've found that my radial side was tensioned at an astonishing low 30 Kgf.

Even if the hub instructions ask for a low Kgf (is an Extralite CyberRear SP), they state a maximum spoke tension of 70 Kgf for the radial side, so I started guessing that the creeking spoke noise was due to low spoke tension.

Adding tension to the radial side was easy, since they were so loose that they winded perfectly fine, but that was not the case for the drive side and I ended up snapping 4 drive side spokes trueing the wheel, with the radial side sitting just around 57 Kgf.

The spokes are steel bladed, and only now I've seen that on the radial side they are double butted but only single butted on the drive side. Besides that, I've noticed that they all snapped where the blade meets the thread, and when removing the internal nipple with the broken spoke tip I've seen the thread all the way in into the nipple.

Going back to the instructions and after carefully measuring LB rims ERD, I came across that the perfect drive side spoke lenght is - on my own math - 2mm shorter that the ones fitted.

Can this be the cause for snapping 4 spokes?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Did you use a bladed spoke holder when tightening the DS spokes? Also, I personally don't use locking style nipples. I can't get a high spoke tension with locking style nipples without stripping the nipples. I use regular non-locking nipples and apply grease to the spoke threads for easy turning. Once properly tensioned the nipples will not loosen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:19 am
Did you use a bladed spoke holder when tightening the DS spokes? Also, I personally don't use locking style nipples. I can't get a high spoke tension with locking style nipples without stripping the nipples. I use regular non-locking nipples and apply grease to the spoke threads for easy turning. Once properly tensioned the nipples will not loosen.
Have done all that! Always use a holder for bladed spokes and these Pillar hex10 nipples come without threadlocker

kode54

by kode54

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:19 am
Spoke prep or linseed oil.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

naavt

by naavt

kode54 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:12 pm

Spoke prep or linseed oil.
Ok. Not wanting to deal with flammable stuff just bought a can of Stan's Spoke prep powder.

Let's see how this goes!