Mavic CXR60 or Winspace Hyper

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zorka

by Zorka

Going to make a decision in my primary wheelset. I am riding older (but still one of the best) tubulars CXR60 which are very fast due to rim shape and proprietary strips that fill the gap between rim and tyre.
But they are supposed to use only Mavic own Griplink and Powerlink tyres which are... just not very good (made by Tufo). They are harsh and I don´t feel they are as fast as some latex tubulars from Vittoria or Michelin.

In Hambini aero test the Hypers were tested few watts behind CXRs, but they will offer probably a lot better rolling resistance with GP5k or Schwalbe Pro One. Even though the Mavic wheels are not a wet noodles, I am also tempted by Winspace carbon spokes and very high stiffness.

I´m not going to create a poll, but what´s your opinion and what would you do?

1. Sell the CXRs and buy the Hypers 65 or 50 (probably 65 would be my choice...better aero and I´m not sure I like the butterfly carbon weave). Winspace will be almost the same aero with much lower rolling resistance. Stiffness will be better too and they are about 200g lighter.

2. Keep the CXRs and try to glue some faster latex tubulars on (Vittoria Corsa 23 mm maybe).

3. Just keep the CXRs and Mavic tyres. They are supposed to work perfectly together and create best aero performance.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

option 2, and fill the space with tubular glue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

option 2 +1.

i have no first hand experience with winspace product, but they sure put alot into marketing/social media....thats the sort of products i tend to stay away, but thats just me.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Zorka

by Zorka

Thanks both. I can see they put some money into marketing, but reviews from users are mostly very good.

@xsnailx What do you mean by filling the space? These wheels have CX01 strips to fill the gap between rim and tire.

I realized that CXR are really heavy, yesterday I punctured front tyre so I weighed the wheel alone and it´s 760g + 48g strips. Tomorrow I´ll weigh rear wheel as well.

Hypers 65 should be very aero too while a lot lighter than Mavics... still tempted to order a pair.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

@zorka - they are this ones? :

Zorka

by Zorka

Of course. All CXRs use the CX01 strips.

If you want to fill the gap on any other wheels, don´t use tubular glue! Silicone sealant is only recommended for this upgrade.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com