The sealant ate my nipples

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A spoke popped while the bike was hanging on the wall. Inspection revealed the head of the alloy nipple had snapped off. In the process of repair, other nipples just snapped when I tried to tune them. According to a trusted mechanic, this is the result of amonia in the sealant escaping through the tape and eating the nipples. Sealant was Orange Seal. Total rebuild with brass nipples and a better tape job. Fortunately the rest of my wheels have no holes in the rim bed.

FYI the original tape job was by Farsports with their stock tape.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There is no ammonia in Orange Seal and all other major brand sealants (your mechanic needs to be educated.) It was probably just normal galvanic corrosion exacerbated by moisture. No holes in the rim bed won’t really matter.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

ouch, my nipples hurt just reading this

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:15 pm
There is no ammonia in Orange Seal and all other major brand sealants (your mechanic needs to be educated.) It was probably just normal galvanic corrosion exacerbated by moisture. No holes in the rim bed won’t really matter.
That's what I thought but the mechanic insisted. Precisely why I do all my own wrenching.

Still, interesting to see such a failure and some sealant did get into the rim btw. Oddly, it dried up into little granules that were easy to vacuum out.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

alanyu

by alanyu

Best best way to exam if any sealant w/ or w/o ammonia can eat an alu nipple is to half submerge the nipple into the sealant in a not-fully-sealed bottle. I'm not sure if anyone did it before.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:01 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:15 pm
There is no ammonia in Orange Seal and all other major brand sealants (your mechanic needs to be educated.)
That's what I thought but the mechanic insisted.
I seem to recall that when Stan's first came on the tubeless scene, a number of people who rode/raced on Enve wheelsets - I had multiple sets of Enve Twenty9 XC to include clinchers which were run tubeless for cross racing - were shocked to find serious corrosion/errosion of the internal alluminum spoke nipples. Publically the issue was attributed to the amonia content in Stans initial batch, so Stan's reformualted and I do not recall anyone having further issues, so maybe the mechanic had that in his head.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:46 pm

I seem to recall that when Stan's first came on the tubeless scene, a number of people who rode/raced on Enve wheelsets - I had multiple sets of Enve Twenty9 XC to include clinchers which were run tubeless for cross racing - were shocked to find serious corrosion/errosion of the internal alluminum spoke nipples. Publically the issue was attributed to the amonia content in Stans initial batch, so Stan's reformualted and I do not recall anyone having further issues, so maybe the mechanic had that in his head.

ENVE only uses brass nipples.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I sent my rear enve to wheelbuilders and they gave me the same story. I used orange seal exclusively on this wheel. I had been breaking a spoke hear and there the past 2 years and finally pulled a few out myself and the nipples were trashed, so I had the whole wheel rebuilt. I didn't want to argue since spokes supply chain was rough at the time and they would only give spokes for full builds.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:48 am
I sent my rear enve to wheelbuilders and they gave me the same story. I used orange seal exclusively on this wheel. I had been breaking a spoke hear and there the past 2 years and finally pulled a few out myself and the nipples were trashed, so I had the whole wheel rebuilt. I didn't want to argue since spokes supply chain was rough at the time and they would only give spokes for full builds.

I wonder what the real cause is since we live in the same area. Maybe a lack of protectant on the spoke nipples? My 5.6s were built by ProWheelBuilder.com and they have nearly 30000mi on them.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I rarely used my 4.5AR ... they are old but probably only 5k miles at most. I do have some winter/rain rides with them, but always stored indoors (not garage)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

joejack951

by joejack951

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:13 am
I rarely used my 4.5AR ... they are old but probably only 5k miles at most. I do have some winter/rain rides with them, but always stored indoors (not garage)
Did the wheel have aluminum or brass nipples at the time? Do they ever salt the roads where you ride? Or do you ride near the coast/ocean?

I ask about salt because years ago I performed an unintentional pseudo science experiment with some bike chains. I didn't realize it at the time but the odorless mineral spirits I had purchased had water blended in, seemingly to make it more eco-friendly. Well, I stored two chains in it for a month or so and when I removed the chains I found several plates had cracked. On the forum (Bikeforums) we eventually concluded that the road salt mixed with the water in the mineral spirits attacked the steel chain and the stress from the pressed-in rivets caused the plates to crack. A forum member replicated my 'experiment' with some table salt and got the same cracks.

Presumably, the liquid latex carrier in Orange Seal is water so you have on half of the chemical reaction. If there's a source of salt around you, there's the rest.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:18 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:13 am
Did the wheel have aluminum or brass nipples at the time? Do they ever salt the roads where you ride? Or do you ride near the coast/ocean?

I ask about salt because years ago I performed an unintentional pseudo science experiment with some bike chains. I didn't realize it at the time but the odorless mineral spirits I had purchased had water blended in, seemingly to make it more eco-friendly. Well, I stored two chains in it for a month or so and when I removed the chains I found several plates had cracked. On the forum (Bikeforums) we eventually concluded that the road salt mixed with the water in the mineral spirits attacked the steel chain and the stress from the pressed-in rivets caused the plates to crack. A forum member replicated my 'experiment' with some table salt and got the same cracks.

Presumably, the liquid latex carrier in Orange Seal is water so you have on half of the chemical reaction. If there's a source of salt around you, there's the rest.
Brass nipples
No salt on the roads and not near a beach and dont ride too near one very often either.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

poulhansen

by poulhansen

It's too late now but on new/old bikes, I always place a drop of Boeshield on each nipple and even on the joint on an alu rim. It's made for protection of masts etc. on boats. It will also make an isolation to avoid galvanic corrosion.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

poulhansen wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:57 pm
It's too late now but on new/old bikes, I always place a drop of Boeshield on each nipple and even on the joint on an alu rim. It's made for protection of masts etc. on boats. It will also make an isolation to avoid galvanic corrosion.

Good wheelbuilders will use *something* on nipples, whether it's linseed oil, light grease or some spoke/nipple specific product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:37 am
ENVE only uses brass nipples.
He's talking about back in the dayyyy...
https://xlr8wheels.com.au/blogs/technic ... sion-issue
My friends 29" XC wheels had the nipple problem but mine never did.