Tune Mig/Mag hubs Yes or No?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Looking to build my first set of carbon clinchers with BTLOS 35mm rims and want to go as light as possible.,
I weigh 140 lbs.
I have aways lusted after Tune hubs.
I have a set of wheels with WI T11 hubs and they are fantastic hubs but a bit heavy and expensive.
I have read stories about Tune hubs having flanges break, creaking and small bearings that wear out and they are not for everyday riding.
My other option is Bitex which is very low cost, not too heavy, functional but ugly.
I already have a pair and they work fine.

Thanks for any feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgdracing

by dgdracing

No, I would stick to DT-Swiss all the way. Had a nasty hub failure with my Acros rim brake bike, my weight is 63kgs. If you want to go light, use dt-swiss 180 - however they are not as durable as 240/350.

MrB123

by MrB123

I'm in the process of getting some carbon rim brake clinchers too and have gone for the Tunes. Did a fair bit of research online and most of the feedback was pretty positive.

As far as I can tell some of the issues with previous versions have been ironed out with the current model. DCR wheels speak highly of them on their website.

The huns have arrived and seem really nicely made and in no way flimsy. Pleased I went for them.

FWIW I've also had good success with Bitex. For a budget hub they're pretty reliable and very competitive on weight. Just fancied something a bit more flash for this build and the Tunes seemed to fit the bill.

C36

by C36

dgdracing wrote:No, I would stick to DT-Swiss all the way. Had a nasty hub failure with my Acros rim brake bike, my weight is 63kgs. If you want to go light, use dt-swiss 180 - however they are not as durable as 240/350.
For a custom build going the DT route is a bit disappointing, their hub geometry is very average and leave stiffness on the table due to narrow angles.
My go-to option would be the Carbon-Ti, as for the Tune, I don’t have a recent experience to share.

Supersix Evo2HM - aero-stiff 5970g / light 5690g

alanyu

by alanyu

The geometry of retailed DT hubs is average, or pretty bad if critical. 180 is even the worst among DT hubs (180 < 240 < 350). For the price I would also suggest Carbon-Ti, which has a better geometry, and better bearing (size)

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Have two sets with Mig/Mag. Love both and would highly recommend! I use DT Swis 180 for disc, but tune for rim
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Any comparisons of Carbon-Ti and Tune? Price and weight seem similar but Carbon-Ti a bit lighter.

Thanks

C36

by C36

https://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews ... ub-review/

Remain one a good summary, especially for the geometry part.

Supersix Evo2HM - aero-stiff 5970g / light 5690g

Nixster

by Nixster

There’s a later version of that review someplace.
I recall that they rate Carbon Ti as the lightest practical daily driver hub, influenced me to buy some.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Both my front and rear Tune hubs failed with cracked flanges. Replaced with WI that have been rolling withiut issues for years.

The Tunes were probably from a previous generation and I guess they updated them, but I would not trust them for a new build.

Enviado de meu M2007J20CG usando o Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Have Tune, Carbon Ti but not DT. No problem with none of the hubs!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

15k km on Enve rim brake wheelset with Tune Mig 45 / Mag 150, which I already bought used. No issues to report.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike