Wheels that meet the standards of Hambini's new wheel buying guide?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
dexvd

by dexvd

Guessing many of you have seen Hambini's new aero wheel buying guide video but what wheels meet these standards?

Was thinking the newest wider Hypers, the Lightbicycle AR line, the Elite Drives and the Hunt Wide Aeros (although Hunt is shown as an example of poor quality).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maybe don't take the word of a dude who isn't actually an aero engineer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

It seems that he didn't consider a wheel from structural perspective like hub geometry and lacing pattern. The so-called buying guide is aero focused. It's not comprehensive enough to be considered a buying guide to me.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

I think the light bicycle would tick all of the boxes,

In the description box he has put some links to wheels he recommends.

I found the cord ratio and stainless steel bearings information particularly useful. I had no idea they were softer

chrisw91

by chrisw91

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 am
This :smartass:

kenwoods

by kenwoods

chrisw91 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am
aybe don't take the word of a dude who isn't actually an aero engineer.
This
I can dig one hell of a drainage ditch. I'm not a civil engineer, though.
Is it really that important that he's not an aero engineer? It doesn't mean he's automatically wrong.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:40 am
It seems that he didn't consider a wheel from structural perspective like hub geometry and lacing pattern. The so-called buying guide is aero focused. It's not comprehensive enough to be considered a buying guide to me.
This. His 'analysis' always falls back on generalisations like narrow tires and rim brakes being more aero

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

kenwoods wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:42 am
chrisw91 wrote:
This
Is it really that important that he's not an aero engineer? It doesn't mean he's automatically wrong.
It doesn't mean he is automatically wrong, but he tends to spew a lot of nonesense for sake of controversy and clicks. Most of what he says has no actual accountability or seriousness to it. He tends to delve into some things to huge detail, but really tends to overlook the bigger picture. A lot of people see him as the ultimate source of truth, while that clearly isn't the case.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

StiffWeenies wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:47 am
jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:40 am
This. His 'analysis' always falls back on generalisations like narrow tires and rim brakes being more aero
Right, but the generalization that narrower is more aero surely includes the assumption that all other aero relevant elements such as rim profile, tire/rim interface, frame design, etc. are equal. And in this case less frontal area is indeed more aero. Further, all of us that pay any attention to this issue are well aware of the many factors beyond just width that impact aero performance. The generalization that narrower is more aero does not dismiss the relevance of these other factors or misinform us in any way.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 am
kenwoods wrote:
chrisw91 wrote:
This
It doesn't mean he is automatically wrong, but he tends to spew a lot of nonesense for sake of controversy and clicks. Most of what he says has no actual accountability or seriousness to it. He tends to delve into some things to huge detail, but really tends to overlook the bigger picture. A lot of people see him as the ultimate source of truth, while that clearly isn't the case.
He's not a plumber. That's english engineering humor that he and peak torque do. There are constant references to sewage engineering.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

dexvd wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:10 pm
Guessing many of you have seen Hambini's new aero wheel buying guide video but what wheels meet these standards?

Was thinking the newest wider Hypers, the Lightbicycle AR line, the Elite Drives and the Hunt Wide Aeros (although Hunt is shown as an example of poor quality).
I'm puzzled. You're a Hambini fanboy and regard him as an authority on aerodynamics, but still come here to ask which wheel to buy after watching his ultimately authoritative wheel buying guide video?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

CarlosTheJackal wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:38 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 am
kenwoods wrote:
chrisw91 wrote:
This
He's not a plumber. That's english engineering humor that he and peak torque do. There are constant references to sewage engineering.
PT used to be pretty good, but has sold out for the sake of clicks, too. Everything is bad and evil and everyone could do what the big brands do.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

romanmoser

by romanmoser

chrisw91 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 am
This :smartass:
Wait he isn't ? :mrgreen: :smartass:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

There are other more knowledgeable people like Josh from Silca and many more. There is a good podcast with the aerospace over at Hunt. She talked a lot about how important the width of the rim is in comparison to the tire. I think i was on CT

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Hambini is one of the finest specimen we have
Truly a national treasure

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com