Roval Clx 64 Upgrade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sonic

by sonic

Hi,

I've a Venge 2019 with Roval Clx 64 - GP5000 25 front/28mm rear. They are very fast (usually I ride around Munich), but to deep to be ridden in the Alps (twice a year). For this reason I always switch to a 32mm deep Dt swiss carbon wheelset.

I would like to upgrade to a wheelset comparable fast but less affected by strong crosswinds. Do you think (better tried out on yourself) I'll have fun with:
  • Roval Rapide tubeless,
  • Zipp 404 hookless,
  • Enve 4.5 hookless.

The Enves are almost double in price compared to the Zipps - are they worth it?
Or will an upgrade fall into the category "marginal gains" - so I should better save my money.

Thank you,
Stefan

andreas

by andreas

When I did research last year, the Rapides were repeatedly mentioned as the best performer regarding crosswind stability. I ended up with the Zipp 303S, which weren't noticeably different in handling from my old CLX 50. I'm also kind of convinced that the tire should be narrower than the rim, to avoid creating a "cavity" in the interface between them that "traps" the crosswind. Hard to achieve that without really wide rims when using 28mm+ labelled tires, which I suspect is one of the reasons that the 35mm wide Rapides review so well regarding stability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com