Tubeless Blowout Tracker: Share your experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This happened to my friend recently... His stock front tire (Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 700x32c) was weeping sealant. He took his bike to a LBS and they replaced the Bontrager tire with a Maxxis TLR tire on the front wheel. Upon initial inflation to seat the bead the tire blew off the rim. I don't know at what pressure the tire blew off. The mechanic thought it was a defective tire so he grabbed and mounted another one. The second one seated the bead without a blowout. On his first ride he adjusted the pressure to 60psi. Within a few miles his new tire had a blowout. Luckily he didn't crash. He returned the Maxxis tire for a refund, and bought two new Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite tires. He took the wheel and tire to my house to get it setup. I was able to mount the tire without any levers. The tire just rolled onto the rim with only very slight pressure from my fingers. I told him this is very unsafe and that I wouldn't personally ride this setup. I told him that his rim might be out of spec. (too small of a diameter) and hence the Maxxis blew off at 60psi. I advised him to buy a tighter fitting tire such as the Conti 5000 S TR. He took my advice and ordered four Conti 5000 S TRs.

Wheel: Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V, OCLV Carbon, Tubeless Ready, 25mm internal rim width, hooked
Tire: Maxxis TLR 32mm (model unknown)
Pressure: 60psi
Sealant: Bontrager
Rider weight: 175lb
Indoor and outdoor
Spontaneous blowout

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 pm
This happened to my friend recently... His stock front tire (Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 700x32c) was weeping sealant. He took his bike to a LBS and they replaced the Bontrager tire with a Maxxis TLR tire on the front wheel. Upon initial inflation to seat the bead the tire blew off the rim. I don't know at what pressure the tire blew off. The mechanic thought it was a defective tire so he grabbed and mounted another one. The second one seated the bead without a blowout. On his first ride he adjusted the pressure to 60psi. Within a few miles his new tire had a blowout. Luckily he didn't crash. He returned the Maxxis tire for a refund, and bought two new Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite tires. He took the wheel and tire to my house to get it setup. I was able to mount the tire without any levers. The tire just rolled onto the rim with only very slight pressure from my fingers. I told him this is very unsafe and that I wouldn't personally ride this setup. I told him that his rim might be out of spec. (too small of a diameter) and hence the Maxxis blew off at 60psi. I advised him to buy a tighter fitting tire such as the Conti 5000 S TR. He took my advice and ordered four Conti 5000 S TRs.

Wheel: Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V, OCLV Carbon, Tubeless Ready, 25mm internal rim width, hooked
Indoor and outdoor
Spontaneous blowout
Thanks for contributing! I put in as two separate entries. Would you be able to find out the model, if it had rim tape, as well as the distance and outside temp at the moving blowout?
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yingyu

by yingyu

Not my experience, but https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/ ... -the-rules has an example of hookless blowout when overinflated

Tire Brand: Continental GP5000 S TR
Tire Size: 28mm
Wheel Model: Zipp 353 NSW, 25mm internal width
Rim/Disc Brake: Disc
Hooked/Hookless: Hookless
Sealant: unknown
Rim Tape: probably Zipp factory installed
Pressure: 100psi
System Weight (Rider+Bike): 0
Tire wear: ?
Blowout Date: sometime before 2021/10/04
Indoors/Outdoors?: probably outdoors
Est. Ambient Temp (°C or °F): ?
Blowout details: blowout spontaneously 10min after pumping tire to 100psi, exceeding hookless limit 72psi
Pictures (if possible): see the article

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:14 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 pm

Indoor and outdoor
Spontaneous blowout
Thanks for contributing! I put in as two separate entries. Would you be able to find out the model, if it had rim tape, as well as the distance and outside temp at the moving blowout?
Unfortunately he doesn't remember the specific Maxxis tire model. And he no longer has the tire. The rim has the factory rim tape. Outside temp. was about 80F. Distance is a few miles.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 am

Unfortunately he doesn't remember the specific Maxxis tire model. And he no longer has the tire. The rim has the factory rim tape. Outside temp. was about 80F. Distance is a few miles.

So the hard plastic tubeless rim strip then?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 am

So the hard plastic tubeless rim strip then?
I don't remember. I didn't pay any attention to the rim or the rim tape, since the bike is practically brand new. His bike has the new Ultegra 12-speed group.

Do you or anyone else have an idea who makes the Bontrager tires?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:33 am

Do you or anyone else have an idea who makes the Bontrager tires?

The R3 Hard Case Lite is made in Taiwan, I suspect by Maxxis funnily enough. Bontrager tires aren't all made by the same OEM...the R4 320 is very obviously made by Lion/Vittoria.

bobones

by bobones

How do you define "blowout" for the purposes of this survey?

I have had several punctures, usually side wall damage, that have resulted in rapid loss of air with no chance of sealing, but nothing resulting tyres coming off rims or crashing. One memorable incident was too big for even 3 Dynaplugs, and that required fitting a tube to get home, but others having been pluggable. Are these blowouts or just punctures?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bobones wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:14 am

I have had several punctures, usually side wall damage, that have resulted in rapid loss of air with no chance of sealing, but nothing resulting tyres coming off rims or crashing. One memorable incident was too big for even 3 Dynaplugs, and that required fitting a tube to get home, but others having been pluggable. Are these blowouts or just punctures?

In this case the OP means the tire violently blowing off the rim.

bobones

by bobones

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:23 am
bobones wrote:

Yet in his own example he says the tyre stayed on the rim?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bobones wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:41 am

Yet in his own example he says the tyre stayed on the rim?

Hmm, I suppose you're right. Not sure why a diary needs to be kept about basic/standard flats though.

Miller

by Miller

Don't criticise this thread, you'll get shut down. C'mon, let's hear about all those TLR tyres exploding off the rim!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Miller wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am
Don't criticise this thread, you'll get shut down. C'mon, let's hear about all those TLR tyres exploding off the rim!

Do people have a false impression that tubeless can survive large slashes without plugs or patches? Lol.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

TobinHatesYou wrote:
bobones wrote:

It's not what I intended, but fair jab at not being specific. The reality is that flats can happen subtly or catatrophically in any form of inflation. I created this thread to track instances of total loss of pressure that is irrepairable while running tubeless. In the example that I gave, I rode that tire 30km with an inner tube to the nearest bikeshop. I did that while having a constant deformity in the tire that felt like going over a bump every revolution, but it is what it is. The whole purpose of this thread is to tie conditions to events so we can better understand them. I want everyone to have the safest and most enjoyable riding experience possible. If the bike industry is putting millions (if not billions) behind tubeless, I'd rather learn from and share the shortcomings sooner than be a statistic of a mandatory recall later.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

alanyu

by alanyu

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:12 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
bobones wrote:

It's not what I intended, but fair jab at not being specific. The reality is that flats can happen subtly or catatrophically in any form of inflation. I created this thread to track instances of total loss of pressure that is irrepairable while running tubeless. In the example that I gave, I rode that tire 30km with an inner tube to the nearest bikeshop. I did that while having a constant deformity in the tire that felt like going over a bump every revolution, but it is what it is. The whole purpose of this thread is to tie conditions to events so we can better understand them. I want everyone to have the safest and most enjoyable riding experience possible. If the bike industry is putting millions (if not billions) behind tubeless, I'd rather learn from and share the shortcomings sooner than be a statistic of a mandatory recall later.
So fix your title and the table index. It's not blowout.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com